General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Training Help for Ironman Two Months Away Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-05-29 5:48 PM

Subject: Bike Training Help for Ironman Two Months Away
I'm training for my first full Ironman, and it's now only two months away. I'm realizing that I have a lot of work to do to be able to finish, which is my goal. I think my swim is in decent shape - I might take 1:30 for that. I plan to swim about twice a week. My run will be what it will be. It's fine with me if I need to walk some or most of it.

I think the main thing I really need to work on is the bike, and I would like to get some help with a training plan for the last couple months. To give a sense of where I am at, today I did a 60 miler. It went pretty slow - I only averaged about 14mph overall. The first 30 miles felt good, and was much faster than the last 30. My quads eventually got to be pretty sore during the ride.

How many times a week should I be riding, and how many miles/how much time should I be putting in to make sure that I can finish in time with some amount of energy left over for the marathon?

Thanks!

Edited by toddj 2017-05-29 5:57 PM

2017-05-29 7:27 PM
in reply to: toddj

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: RE: Bike Training Help for Ironman Two Months Away
Hello Todd

I think that in order to get meaningful info in response to your request, you might need to supply a bit more information. Are you following a plan? If so, which one?
What does a week of training look like - how many runs? distance / intensity per run? Same for your bike -- weekly distance? Number of rides? How long have you been building up your endurance?

Have a look at the free plan here at BT for beginner iron distance ... It is a 20-week plan, but looking at it will give you an idea of what cycle volume over the last 2-3 months looks like...
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/training-plan...

I hope this helps get you sorted out a little..

2017-05-29 10:26 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

You've got some work to do.

2 swims a week is pretty light if you don't have a swim background...you'll be tired by the time you get to the bike.  

With 2 months out, I'd want to be well over 100 miles a week on the bike...probably 70-100 on the weekend and 90 minutes or so a couple more times during the week. As noted in the plan Triosaurus linked, these next few weeks are fairly high volume.  TrainerRoad is a good program to use during the week if you can't get outside to ride during daylight hours.

In a perfect world, I'd like to be in the range of 25-30 miles a week running.

FWIW, I have only raced 2 HIMs and my bigger prep weeks were 7-10k yards swim, 100 miles bike and low to mid 20 miles running. On reflection, I didn't run enough in the prep phase...had trouble holding pace after 8 miles in both races.

Good luck. I don't know if I'll ever stay healthy enough to prepare to race the full distance (57 years old and constantly battling running related injuries) so I envy you and everyone else that can give it a go.

2017-05-30 8:04 AM
in reply to: 0

Thanks for the feedback, triosaurus and JoelO. I am currently needing to have a new plan. I took more than two weeks off because I was hiking in Peru. I also had to take lots of time off for a running injury, but it seems to be good now. That 60 mile ride was my first long ride after the hiking trip and I have been running about six miles a day recently - I want to quickly build up a decent running base before I start ramping up the running.

Edited by toddj 2017-05-30 8:04 AM
2017-05-30 12:00 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by toddj

Thanks for the feedback, triosaurus and JoelO. I am currently needing to have a new plan. I took more than two weeks off because I was hiking in Peru. I also had to take lots of time off for a running injury, but it seems to be good now. That 60 mile ride was my first long ride after the hiking trip and I have been running about six miles a day recently - I want to quickly build up a decent running base before I start ramping up the running.

You base phase for your Ironman should have been done by now. Work with the BT plan that was linked as best you can and you'll finish. Just don't get hurt before you get to the start line and don't forget to train up your nutrition plan for race day.
2017-07-16 12:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
just going through some old posts...thought I'd bump this to ask how your training is going...

2017-08-20 6:26 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

I wanted to let you know that I completed the IM. Getting in long bike rides and getting my bike hydration figured out helped a ton. Thanks for the advice!
2017-08-22 2:26 AM

Congrats!! I'm training for my first IM in Langkawi this Nov. It's gonna be a hilly and hot ride. I'm still contemplating if I should be using my TT or roadbike. Any advise from the pros here?

I did my first 70.3 in Bintan last year on my roadbike and it was hot and hilly too. Completed in 6:45hrs, wasn't it good timing but I was glad I finish before the cut-off time. Completed another four 70.3 similar distance race this year. These four 70.3 race are all done on my TT and the bike course was almost flat.
2017-08-22 7:15 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

I wanted to let you know that I completed the IM. Getting in long bike rides and getting my bike hydration figured out helped a ton. Thanks for the advice!

Yay!!!
2017-08-23 1:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Congratulations! Glad it all worked out for you. Which IM did you do? And, .... are you planning another one ?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Training Help for Ironman Two Months Away Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Help...Started Zone 2 Training...have to walk

Started by streetsnake
Views: 6713 Posts: 11

2017-02-16 12:59 PM jmhpsu93

HIM training-working parent- HELP

Started by Kebaxley
Views: 967 Posts: 3

2017-01-23 2:24 PM juniperjen

Need some training help

Started by gabigabicip
Views: 781 Posts: 2