Other Resources The Political Joe » And now bill maher.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-06-03 9:45 AM

User image

Pro
Subject: And now bill maher..

how do you like it Bill?  Not too funny, huh? 

2017-06-03 4:20 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: And now bill maher..
Like Katie, for the first time in his career, people are laughing.

Sad thing is they are going after Sase for not reacting "appropriately" when Maher said it. Liberal consensus is that he should have stormed off the set in a huff. Some delusional mother f*****s out there.
2017-06-04 7:17 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Expert
Floriduh
In the interest of full disclosure I am a big fan of Bill Maher. I don't agree with everything he has to say, but I think he makes a lot of sense on his views of Islam and terrorism, the importance of environmental issues, US spending priorities. If you watch his show enough you will know that when Bill's adrenaline gets rolling he can get way over of his skis, and ends up saying some goofy, if not flatly wrong, things. This IS the nature of passionate political discourse, we are not all George Will and always speak in measured tones. The open nature of discourse on Real Time is one of the things I truly value about this show - it is the only platform where Elizabeth Warren/Adam Schiff is on one week, Ben Sasse/Roger Stone on the next.

OK..I know that Bill will cut off conservative opinions far earlier than liberal ones ... he has an audience after all.

Using the "N" word in Friday's show was really out of place and had little contextual value. Bill just screwed up and probably should go stand in the corner for a while.

Saying the Sasse did anything wrong in his reaction (or lack of reaction) is just non-sensical. The fringes of the political spectrum in this country rarely makes any sense to me.
2017-06-04 9:01 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Oysterboy

In the interest of full disclosure I am a big fan of Bill Maher. I don't agree with everything he has to say, but I think he makes a lot of sense on his views of Islam and terrorism, the importance of environmental issues, US spending priorities. If you watch his show enough you will know that when Bill's adrenaline gets rolling he can get way over of his skis, and ends up saying some goofy, if not flatly wrong, things. This IS the nature of passionate political discourse, we are not all George Will and always speak in measured tones. The open nature of discourse on Real Time is one of the things I truly value about this show - it is the only platform where Elizabeth Warren/Adam Schiff is on one week, Ben Sasse/Roger Stone on the next.

OK..I know that Bill will cut off conservative opinions far earlier than liberal ones ... he has an audience after all.

Using the "N" word in Friday's show was really out of place and had little contextual value. Bill just screwed up and probably should go stand in the corner for a while.

Saying the Sasse did anything wrong in his reaction (or lack of reaction) is just non-sensical. The fringes of the political spectrum in this country rarely makes any sense to me.

I've always believed that when people get all riled up and on a roll is when they say things that are a true to their actual character and beliefs. Not having watched the clip, I couldn't tell you how riled up or not riled he actually was( sorry, watching Maher talk makes me want to punch myself in the throat for wasting my own time ) but neither excuses what he said. Stand in the corner isn't good enough here. House ni** is a direct reference to slavery and that's what makes this even more hateful IMO. Flip this discussion and let's say Hanitty was interviewing my fav, Sheila Jackson Lee. 12 hours later, there would be marches organized and shitte would be on fire somewhere. Pelosi would be calling for an investigation into the Trump/Russia/Hanitty slave trade ring. This is a goose-gander situation and treatment of Maher needs to be equal. He should be job hunting already and shame on HBO for not taking the appropriate action already.
2017-06-04 9:59 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Saw this elsewhere;

Tiger Woods: “No one can mess up their career like I did this week.”
Kathy Griffin: “Hold my beer!”
Bill Maher: “No, hold mine.”
2017-06-05 2:47 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by mdg2003 Saw this elsewhere; Tiger Woods: “No one can mess up their career like I did this week.” Kathy Griffin: “Hold my beer!” Bill Maher: “No, hold mine.”

Except Bill Maher's career is just fine.  I think some of what he says is funny, even though I agree with little of it.  I like is dialog much better than his interviews.  I don't find it all that funny to belittle guests - although they know what they're getting into.

I've always liked political satire.  Can't take very much of it, but I enjoyed laughing at and with Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert (Colbert Report, not currently talk show).  I also like Last Week with John Oliver - his show has a pretty high production value and he's just funny.  I've liked almost all versions of SNL's Weekend Update.

I follow politics pretty closely and its funny to hear comedians/satirist/etc give their takes.  

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » And now bill maher.. Rss Feed