Other Resources My Cup of Joe » graduation gift ideas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2017-06-05 1:58 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: graduation gift ideas

Does anyone have any fun or creative but practical gift ideas for high school graduates?  My nieces are both graduating this month and while $$ is always practical, I'd like something with a little more meaning.  I'm definitely not in the market for 'now' items, like things that say "2017 graduate" or some such things that have no practicality beyond when it's given.

2017-06-05 2:39 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: graduation gift ideas
My MIL gave my daughter a nice little box that she could keep. Inside the box, were twelve (one for each year of school) hundred dollar bills. Each bill was rolled up and bound with a small ribbon to represent small diplomas. This would work with any denomination bill and the girls would have a keepsake box to remember Auntie Melbo long after the $$ is gone.
2017-06-06 8:20 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
A watch.

I know it may date me...but you can get quite elegant in the watch category without blowing the bank account. For less than $200 you can get a very smart looking Seiko, Citizen, Rodania, etc.

Whether the watch remains on display at home, or they wear it and are constantly reminded of the achievement....

Just my two cents.
2017-06-06 10:07 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Nice ideas so far, thanks!

2017-06-07 9:20 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I think luggage is a perfect graduation gift. Not as "exciting" as money or whatnot, but usually high schoolers don't have their own set of nice luggage, and they'll need it soon. You could theme it Dr. Seuss "Oh the places you'll go" and depending on your budget, gift some airfare credits/miles or buy them flights home for the holidays or something to keep with the theme.

My parents bought me luggage for HS graduation 20 years ago  and I JUST LAST WEEK got rid of it as I'd worn through all of the pieces. 

2017-06-07 9:54 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pennsylvania

Luggage is a great idea, too.  The one niece surely already has a nice set but the other likely doesn't have any.

2017-06-07 11:41 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Depends on the person and the situation.  

Assume they're going to college...

Luggage--Useful for trips home, weekend away, storage in the room.  

Diary/Journal/Transition books/Life-hack books--This transition is an opportunity for them to change their identity.  Life-hacks because a number of kids go off to college without knowing how to wash clothes, cook a basic meal, BUDGET, etc.  

For my niece who went to school next to NYC, I got her a 1-year membership to the science museum in Toledo.  Why that?  Because it provided reciprocal membership/entry into most NYC museums so she and a friend could experience this aspect of living near NYC.  

I've given perfume, cologne, accessories, or jewelry for "special occasions" (read confidence boost) such as interviewing for jobs.   

If they have a car, auto club membership, tool kit, emergency kit--all the things they normally expected from their parents when driving around home.  

2017-08-25 11:18 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, British Columbia
I think a gift should be whatever you choose. I don't put a lot of stock in what one is "supposed" to give. My niece is graduating this year and I bought her a matching overnight bag and cosmetic bag. Not overly expensive but something she can use for awhile. Mens are more practical on the whole. Plus with college and eventually a career coming up they'll be moving around a lot. So maybe inexpensive watches like Seiko or Stuhrling

Edited by streem26 2017-08-25 11:18 AM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » graduation gift ideas Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Christmas present ideas

Started by Rogillio
Views: 775 Posts: 3

2016-12-14 1:00 PM drfoodlove

Crowdsourcing illustration ideas for a book

Started by getsome
Views: 1418 Posts: 7

2016-10-24 2:21 PM getsome