General Discussion Race Reports! » Wine Capital of Canada Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wine Capital of Canada Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oliver, British Columbia
Canada
Outback Events
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 38m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 65 - 69
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

Up early and got ready then drove the 30 km to the race site. It was a bit cool and calm winds. Perfect for a race day.
Event warmup:

Set everything up in transition then got my wetsuit on and waited for the start. We lined up along the beach and cheered off the Sprint wave then we had our pre-race meeting and then waded into the lake and up to the start line.
Swim
  • 34m 52s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

My friends and I kept left of the start and at the sound of the horn we were off. About 150 friends. Without doubt this was the roughest start I've ever had. More kicking and punching than I've seen before. I even had my goggles pulled to one side. I didn't want to slow down so I just pulled the goggles back over my right eye and kept swimming expecting to see with only one eye but I was surprised to have no further issues and could see everything clearly.
Just after the start I noticed a fair number of swimmers passing me and for a moment I thought I should be pushing harder but then I remembered not to start out too fast and very soon after I noticed the same swimmers gassing out and falling behind while I carried on.
I did catch some feet and draft from several people and even was surprised to realize I was drafting off a young asian lady that I train with.at times. After a while she drifted off to the right and I swam on.
The swim took most of the first loop to spread out and became more comfortable and I could feel myself swimming faster and straighter.
During the second loop I was surprised to see a fellow just ahead of me swerve right to one of the intermediate buoys (two before the turn around buoy) and swim around the buoy and then continue toward the finish. I first thought he was cheating but then I figured he had more likely crossed over to the wrong side of the buoy then turned back and around the buoy to correct his mistake.
The second loop felt much better and faster. When I hit the beach I checked my Garmin and my actual swim time was 33:34 for 1526m. An average 0f 2:12/100m..
What would you do differently?:

This was not my best swim but not too bad. I think I am capable of a faster pace so I may need to push a bit more than I did. I also need to work on my drafting skills to get more benefit from it.
Transition 1
  • 03m 14s
Comments:

I was over two minutes faster in transition than last year.

Work on my transitions to make it even faster.
Bike
  • 1h 40m 44s
  • 40 kms
  • 23.83 km/hr
Comments:

I ran with my bike from transition to the mount line and mounted and took off as quickly as possible. The weather was excellent and only a nominal north wind. I passed a fair number of people fixing flats and I was glad to be able to continue on without any similar issues. I offered tubes and CO2 to most of them but everyone was okay.
The ride went fairly well and I was on pace to achieve my goal time. Even with dropping my chain twice I managed to fix it quickly and carry on.
I was passed by quite a few people but I kept trying to keep people in sight for as long as I could and in the last 10 km I did manage to catch up and pass several riders.
Within 2 km of transition I was really moving and running out of time to achieve my time goal when I dropped my chain for a 3rd time. This time took me a bit longer time to fix and I lost a lot of momentum which cost me a couple minutes. I got going as quickly as I could and I tried to get back up to speed but the time damage was done.

I had a goal of 1:36 or better and I was well on track to hit that goal but I dropped my chain 3 times which slowed me down. I know I can do it.
Transition 2
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

Transition went quickly and smoothly. Before I realized it I was heading out of transition and looking for a portapotty.

Just work at getting faster.
Run
  • 1h 17m 18s
  • 10 kms
  • 07m 44s  min/km
Comments:

T2 went well and I was quickly heading out on the run. I had to hit a portapotty on the way out which cost a bit of time but I was pleased to find I was able to start running and even find myself running faster than usual without pushing myself too hard.
I was able to keep running for the entire distance.
Had to make another portapotty stop but was quickly back out on the run. It felt good to be running and keep running. I'd sure like to run faster but I was enjoying myself and interacting with the other athletes and encouraging anyone who was suffering. It was quickly getting warmer but still quite tolerable.

There were about 6 or 7 runners behind me and I was coming to the last km before the finish line. Down this hill and across the finish line and done.

I started out running faster and then gradually slowed down. I want to improve my endurance and run faster for longer.
My run goal was 1:15 and I was only 2 minutes short of that so I am certain I can achieve that goal and even run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the finish line and stopped, feeling very good. Got my medal and t-shirt then went looking for food. Turns out they were providing us with pancakes and sausages. Jackpot!! I really enjoyed the pancakes and I just waited for the awards. 2nd place in my age group....of 2! Very nice wine glass. 1st place got a bottle of wine.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing that can't be fixed by training hard and pushing a bit more than I have been.

Event comments:

This was my 3rd event with this group and so far it was the most fun. Better bike course. I'll likely do this event again.

Last updated: 2017-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:52 | 1500 meters | 02m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/2
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: We were to swim two loops of a 750m out and back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 19C / 66F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:14
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:40:44 | 40 kms | 23.83 km/hr
Wind: Some
Course: One big loop with rolling hills but only one main climb.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:20
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:17:18 | 10 kms | 07m 44s  min/km
Course: 2 loops of a 5km out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2017-06-10 12:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: Wine Capital of Canada Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wine Capital of Canada Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sanford & Sun Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by hutch7575
Views: 795 Posts: 1

2016-08-07 8:53 AM hutch7575

Nickel City Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by ok2try
Views: 1578 Posts: 2

2016-07-27 7:30 PM ok2try

Subaru 5i50 Vancouver Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by RunnyBunny
Views: 917 Posts: 1