General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Alternatives to flying mount Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-06-11 9:56 PM

User image

Subject: Alternatives to flying mount
I don't seem to have the flexibility to do a flying mount or even strap up and unstrap my triathlon biking shoes as I'm riding. Are there any other techniques that are faster than coming to a stop at the mount line, clipping in your shoes and taking off. I've tried putting one foot on the pedal as it's moving and then swinging my leg over and then clipping in but it's risky because the bottom of the shoe is made of hard, slippery stuff so there is a great risk of my foot slipping off. I might try duct taping some grippy stuff to the bottom of my one shoe so it will stay better.

2017-06-11 10:53 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: RE: Alternatives to flying mount
I had a race several years ago where the RD would not allow anyone to clip your shoes on in transition, meaning everyone had to exit T1 with their bike cleats on their feet. I am usually a flying mount guy, but this race made me change my approach. Since I normally mount from the left side of my bike, I used a couple of thin rubber bands to hold my left crank arm to the down tube so that it was in a position that when I stepped on the pedal, I would generate forward movement. The other big change, was I took about 3-4 extra strides past the mount line to get past all of those that were at a complete stop right at the line. The 2 extra seconds of running with my bike was worth it.
2017-06-12 6:23 AM
in reply to: cwpeters

User image

Where you at a complete stop when you clipped your left foot in?
2017-06-12 7:33 AM
in reply to: b2run

Master
Northern IL

Can you swing your leg over with the other foot still on the ground? I tend to do that from a slot trot or walk, sliding over some. I get my seat on the saddle, and then clip shoes in. The bike is moving, albeit slowly. Since I get on from the left, right pedal is either forward or down so any momentum going over the top can be carried on and drive that foot right directly to clipping in. With the pedal down or forward I can hit it hard and know it's in. Then the left foot will go in and start cranking away. I'm never stuck trying to start at 12 because of the forward momentum, even though it's still relatively slow.

2017-06-12 9:10 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

I have look pedals so the cleats are brutal to run in. What I do is set my shoes up like a flying mount. Clipped in and rubber bands holding in place. When I get to the mount line I slip left foot in - push with right foot and start peddling. After I'm clear I slip right foot in shoe. You can also start by just putting left foot on top of shoe. I did this for a year when I started every training ride. Still clip them in sometimes before I go for a ride as practice. Becomes second nature after awhile. Once you get used to the method it becomes pretty fluent. If it's a race where they can't be clipped in before then I clip left foot in and then pedal / push off to get going then clip right in.

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2017-06-12 9:11 AM
2017-06-12 2:04 PM
in reply to: #5222181

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
I wouldn't classify it as a complete stop, but I was moving slow enough to look down at the pedal, make sure my foot was lined up correctly, and then step down hard with my left as I swung my right leg over the seat. I did know ahead of time that I would have to make this change, so I was able to practice it.

2017-06-12 7:26 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

Can you swing your leg over with the other foot still on the ground? I tend to do that from a slot trot or walk, sliding over some. I get my seat on the saddle, and then clip shoes in. The bike is moving, albeit slowly. Since I get on from the left, right pedal is either forward or down so any momentum going over the top can be carried on and drive that foot right directly to clipping in. With the pedal down or forward I can hit it hard and know it's in. Then the left foot will go in and start cranking away. I'm never stuck trying to start at 12 because of the forward momentum, even though it's still relatively slow.

Great idea. I tried it. Almost fell the first time but I think it should be doable. Thanks. I wonder if I can reverse it coming off?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Alternatives to flying mount Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Mount Garmin on TriBike

Started by scottficek
Views: 2796 Posts: 8

2016-11-26 11:58 PM CeeDotA

Flying Mount is squashing my shoes...

Started by TonyMax
Views: 1866 Posts: 17

2016-10-31 11:50 AM gary p

Treadmill Advice: iFit Alternatives

Started by bwingate
Views: 6209 Posts: 2

2016-10-17 11:34 AM bwingate

Alternatives to gels on the run? (Vineman PR too!)

Started by TTom
Views: 1294 Posts: 12

2016-09-21 10:02 PM AdventureBear

Energy Gels and Alternatives

Started by runtim23
Views: 2478 Posts: 17

2016-09-21 9:13 AM Atlantia