General Discussion Triathlon Talk » short sleeves Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-06-12 12:20 PM

Subject: short sleeves
Anybody know of an inexpensive tri top with sleeves? Do they make such a thing? Or do they really only come as part of 'full suits'?

The full suits seem a rather significant hassle in terms of bathroom purposes. Also, they cost a fortune.

However, to a guy who will burn if he stands in front of the fridge with the door open too long....sleeves are looking like a bonus. Not just the sleeves.....it's the shoulder blade areas that always get burned on me. I can't reach them. Even if they have sunscreeners at the race, they are generally trying to do a quick job (appreciated and understood), but maybe don't do a thorough job.

*edit
I've found some. But, they are all rather.....garish? I like plain.
I look enough of a buffoon, I don't need some Mondrian design splattered across my body.

Edited by jhaack39 2017-06-12 12:30 PM

2017-06-12 12:44 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Subject: RE: short sleeves
Have you looked at a long sleeve compression top like this:

https://www.amazon.com/TM-R11-BLKZ-Large-Tesla-T-Shirt-Baselayer-Com...

I wear a short sleeve version for training runs and rides. They wick moisture away and block 99% UV (mfr claims) and are UPF 50+. These are not Tri specific but should provide you the coverage you're looking for...the best part is that they are under $15. Good luck!

-john
2017-06-12 12:50 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by gigolfer

Have you looked at a long sleeve compression top like this:

https://www.amazon.com/TM-R11-BLKZ-Large-Tesla-T-Shirt-Baselayer-Com...

I wear a short sleeve version for training runs and rides. They wick moisture away and block 99% UV (mfr claims) and are UPF 50+. These are not Tri specific but should provide you the coverage you're looking for...the best part is that they are under $15. Good luck!

-john

I have thought about it. I'm interested in short sleeve. I can get sunscreen on to my arms, it's the shoulder blade area that gets me every time. Can't reach.
Only thing missing on something like this for me is the pockets in the back. I find those quite handy. That's the other part of this process that's stumping me. I can find a few things, but they don't have pockets because they're all designed to be all aero and such. I don't care about that.

I've found a few options. from an older related thread. 2XU and De Soto and Garneau each have short sleeve tri-tops. The trouble is finding "the right one". Most of them are quite garish. The plainer ones tend to be all black (it's a mental thing for me) or lots of white....which I think will start to look pretty grungy awfully quick. Not that I should care about of any that. I just don't want to look like modern art....or like I've been swimming in a cesspool. I could easily throw a shirt on like this over my existing sleeveless top, but then I'm wearing "layers".

Edited by jhaack39 2017-06-12 12:51 PM
2017-06-12 1:05 PM

User image

Google sleeved tri top and you'll get plenty of choices. DeSoto, Orca and others make a sleeved top. Now "inexpensive " that part I don't know about. ETA - I just saw you found them. The orca ones are fairly plain

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2017-06-12 1:08 PM
2017-06-12 3:11 PM

On to something here.

http://www.wiggle.com/dhb-block-short-sleeve-tri-top-1/?lang=us&cur...

About the same price as a generic cycling jersey.
Cheap.
It's not like I'm looking for "performance" here. There's no mission critical application like the pad.
The only 'performance' I'm looking for is something that doesn't billow on the bike and that I could run in comfortably. I did find one marathon runner who 'reviewed' this brand.

Assuming it doesn't billow/bite I could swim short distances in it without any real troubles. If it's under a wetsuit....who cares. Really long swims I might be apt to wear something different altogether.

It's a tad noisy, but it doesn't look like Piet Mondrian threw up all over it.

Anyone ever heard really bad things about this stuff? It's definitely bargain hunting.

Edited by jhaack39 2017-06-12 3:13 PM
2017-06-12 6:18 PM

User image

I thought you said plain !?!I'd spend a couple extra buckshttps://m.swimoutlet.com/p/orca-mens-226-tri-jersey-8150747/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google-shopping&color=9755&size=11017&gclid=CKfBg9q1udQCFZWCswodT_wIhw

2017-06-12 7:09 PM

Master
, California

The full suits seem a rather significant hassle in terms of bathroom purposes. Also, they cost a fortune.

I know what you mean about the price but I went to the De Soto flisuit.  The grey one isn't too outlandish on the design:

https://www.desotosport.com/products/riviera-flisuit?variant=40516586823

They are pricey but get on their email list and you can probably catch a deal for 30-40% off if you are patient.  And it solves the hassle factor.  It also works great if you want to roll on sleeves to cover your lower arms.

I'm not affiliated with them it's just what I use right now.

2017-06-13 9:36 AM

Originally posted by spudone

I know what you mean about the price but I went to the De Soto flisuit.  The grey one isn't too outlandish on the design:

https://www.desotosport.com/products/riviera-flisuit?variant=40516586823

They are pricey but get on their email list and you can probably catch a deal for 30-40% off if you are patient.  And it solves the hassle factor.  It also works great if you want to roll on sleeves to cover your lower arms.

I'm not affiliated with them it's just what I use right now.

I almost bit at something like that...even that particular one.
But....pocket in the back?

Either way....I recommitted to separates. Being that I might do 2...maybe if I somehow got really really lucky....I might do 3 races a year where sun becomes enough of an issue. And to be honest, it's really maybe only one. Either a half or something. Or a really mid summer Olympic where there's little-to no shade at all. Or one that has free beer afterwards where I might be dumb enough to hang around afterwards more than the usual.

I could never wear that when out for a regular old ride. But, since I prefer tri-shorts (narrower pad) to cycling shorts....I could get away with using a separate "sleeved tri top" as just a slightly goofier looking cycling shirt. I am all about personal value.

I guess it goes back to the entry level econ courses when I started to appreciate how much I love econ.....
"If Bill has $9, and a movie cost $5 and two beers cost $2....what will Bill choose...."

Edited by jhaack39 2017-06-13 9:38 AM
2017-06-13 10:36 AM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
They definitely have some cheapy thing out there:

UglyFrog Short Sleeve cycling suit. Just change into shorts and tank on the run if you want more comfort. $44: http://amzn.to/2ti1J6G

SLS also makes these actual triathlon focus short sleeves suit that are fairly inexpensive at $99: http://amzn.to/2soQ5dQ
2017-06-13 1:23 PM
in reply to: ThomasGerlach ProTri

Originally posted by ThomasGerlach ProTri

They definitely have some cheapy thing out there:

UglyFrog Short Sleeve cycling suit. Just change into shorts and tank on the run if you want more comfort. $44: http://amzn.to/2ti1J6G

SLS also makes these actual triathlon focus short sleeves suit that are fairly inexpensive at $99: http://amzn.to/2soQ5dQ

I saw this info elsewhere.
I would have taken a swing had I saw it yesterday. But I am just going to tell myself over and over and over and over that what I ordered is going to be perfect and the best thing ever. If I tell myself that enough, I might not spend any more money.
2017-06-22 7:22 AM

2XU makes short sleeve trisuits. You can pick one up fairly cheap on eBay (Seller 2XUUSAOUTLET http://www.ebay.com/usr/2xuusaoutlet).
I was able to pick up a Project X (Desert Red/Black)for about 1/4 of MSRP and a Compression (all Black) for even less, and I probably overbid to make sure I got them. It is just a matter of waiting until the suit you want comes up for auction...

I love the Project X suit! Although they are one-piece suits, the top is only attached at the sides and back, allowing for #1 bathroom breaks with ease.

Note that you will probably not find a full-sleeve suit (TBH, I haven't even looked), as you will need to have your arms marked. With the short-sleeve I get marked on my forearms.

2017-06-22 9:07 AM
in reply to: CMH_VA

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
What makes a tri top a tri top? Have a loose one from when I was heavier, but it's just a sleeveless thing - don't get why it's not considered just a workout top. Being heavy, I go with black shorts and a loose fitting regular workout shirt, short sleeve poly type. I have a few cycle tops which I tend not to wear. Why a tri top over a cycle jersey?
2017-06-26 1:35 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
It's a drag/aero/fit thing for me. Even a tight fitting race cut cycle jersey would be like wearing a drag suit while swimming. Same deal with a workout shirt, in fact my coach has me do workout with a baggy shirt and sometimes board shorts for training resistance... never in a race though.

I'm not into sleeved kits, but my tri kits of choice these days are one piece kits that fit pretty snug, little to no wrinkling while remaining comfortable enough to swim/bike and I unzip the back when I run if its warm out. My kit is all about speed and comfort through out the event.
2017-06-26 2:11 PM

I think a tri top is whatever you want it to be.
That being said, they clearly make them for people who don't want to add/change articles of clothing after they get out of the water.
For racers, it's time lost. For the rest of us it's just a PITA when wet.

Just a tightfitting garment that doesn't drag in the water, primarily....and whatever drag you'd get on the bike. I guess for some people, "compression" is a value. For me, that value is only immediately evident in less nipple chafing....which I can solve with a little tape.

I did go for sleeves. Because of the sun factor. If I want to hang around for 20 minutes after a race...I need it. No matter who I rope into lotioning me up, it will not do enough of a job to prevent burn on the back when wearing a tank style top. Any longer race, even if they provide sunscreeners, I'm gonna burn..

I went with a dhb (that's the brand, you can google)....because it was super cheap relative to others. I went with the size on the upper end of the size chart spectrum I fell into. It's long enough that I have no issues in front or back with my old tri shorts (can't find the same 'cut' anymore) or any of my cycling shorts. Thinner, cooler and more comfortable, frankly than any cycling jersey. Same function. Looks more or less the same from 10 feet away. It's just more form fitting.

I did make a third attempt at buying a new pair of shorts (tried 3 of the different 'big names'). On the third go I found a pair that works well enough with the new top. But, I also had them throw in 2 sizes of a sleeved Forza suit. Of all the shorts I tried, I liked the Forza shorts the best, but they're cut low both belly on the run, and plumber's butt on the ride. I really like the suit so far, but haven't done anything in it. I wish there was a back pocket on it, but there are pockets in the pants.

Not big enough to carry my phone. But, I only take that on regular old rides. I only plan on one really long ride testing this thing out. I'm just not sure I could ride around on a given day wearing a full tri suit. No regular person out there would recognize it as a tri suit. But, any other triathlete would...and would wonder why I'm wearing a tri suit when out for a ride. I would hope they would know I'm just trying it out to make sure it worked for me.

Don't put it past me thinking of making a little sticker for my back that said something like "Nothing new on a race day, just trying out a new kit. Don't make fun of me in your head when you pass me." It'd have to be a big sticker.

Edited by jhaack39 2017-06-26 2:14 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » short sleeves Rss Feed