General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Oly distance tri on a mountain bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-06-14 8:53 AM

User image

Subject: Oly distance tri on a mountain bike?
I'm getting back into the sport after a few years off (2 kids, career, etc.), but I don't have the monetary resources to go buy even an entry-level road bike at the present time. I do have a well-maintained Specialized Hard Rock mtn bike that I ride. I've ridden it on a handful of sprint-distance races without any issues, but the most I've ever ridden it is one 20 miler on some nice trails.

My upcoming triathlon goals include an Olympic distance, so I'm curious about what it's going to be like on my mtn bike. Other than the fact that I'll be slower than all the road/tri bikes, which I'm fine with. I can probably spring for some hybrid tires / slicks so as to not ride on the trial tires.

Other than that, what should I be mindful of?

Thanks,
Robert

2017-06-14 10:35 AM
in reply to: robertChiefsFan

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Oly distance tri on a mountain bike?

I've done it. I use to ride my old 37 lb MTB everywhere when I started.  For tri's (Sprints and Oly) I did use more of a high pressure wide comminuting tire that had a near continuous slick center tread.  The race at the time (now defunct) checked tires in the "fat-tire" division to make sure they were indeed a min of 35C (~1.4") or wider. I also changed out the cassette for a close ratio unit.  Ride lots and longer, ~25 miles it tough if you are not use to the distance, especially when you have to run after.

2017-06-14 10:38 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Thank you for the advice!!!
2017-06-14 10:40 AM

Originally posted by robertChiefsFan

I'm getting back into the sport after a few years off (2 kids, career, etc.), but I don't have the monetary resources to go buy even an entry-level road bike at the present time. I do have a well-maintained Specialized Hard Rock mtn bike that I ride. I've ridden it on a handful of sprint-distance races without any issues, but the most I've ever ridden it is one 20 miler on some nice trails.

My upcoming triathlon goals include an Olympic distance, so I'm curious about what it's going to be like on my mtn bike. Other than the fact that I'll be slower than all the road/tri bikes, which I'm fine with. I can probably spring for some hybrid tires / slicks so as to not ride on the trial tires.

Other than that, what should I be mindful of?

Thanks,
Robert

Your backside won't hurt as much? If you have a little obsessiveness to your nature you won't pull over two miles from home to quadruple check that you secured your expensive bike to the bike rack well enough? You might look around a little more and enjoy the day for its inherent beauty if it's nice weather than someone who feels they need to justify the expense of their bike by going as fast as they possibly can? Again, if you've got a little obsessiveness, you won't feel like you have to decide between a bottle of sports drink or a bottle of water....you'll just take both. And maybe a candy bar for a delicious snack too, if you're feeling it.

Really, the only thing you should worry about is the magnificent bouts of bike envy that you'll have. If you can fend that off, you'll have a grand time.

Then you can start saving
2017-06-14 10:49 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I'd just ride the MTB and not spend $$ on swapping out tires etc. Save that $$ for a road or tri bike down the road.

Are you doing Topeka Tinman Saturday?
2017-06-14 11:03 AM
in reply to: reecealan

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by reecealan I'd just ride the MTB and not spend $$ on swapping out tires etc. Save that $$ for a road or tri bike down the road. Are you doing Topeka Tinman Saturday?

I would too, if I wasn't already looking at a new set of tires for that purpose.

I can't think of anything really specific that would be substantially different. Mostly being aware of what's going on around you and a decently behaved participant, like anyone should be. I mean, handlebars may be a little wider which can make racking a little more tricky, but racking the bike well is something everyone should be looking at.

If you're a strong cyclist, you may still end up in the middle of others.

2017-06-14 11:09 AM

User image

Topeka Tinman is a bit too soon for me to be racing yet. My first race back is the Cameron MO YMCA Triathlon (200/8/2.1). It's a race I've done 3 times (all with my mtn bike), so it's a good refresher race.

I ride well on my mtn bike, averaging 16mph on the road, so I'll probably mid-to-back of the pack for now, and I'm fine with that.
2017-06-14 11:10 AM

Switching tires is a good idea but not absolutely necessary. One thing you may consider is locking out the suspension travel if your bike has that capability. This will save some energy, especially when climbing hills.
2017-06-14 11:28 AM
in reply to: browncd

User image

Yeah, I have locked out the suspension when I raced previously, and it makes a somewhat useful difference. Not enough to get excited about, though (imo). It's front suspension only.
2017-06-14 4:19 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
You will be fine!
I absolutely love watching fancy-shmancy tri bike riders (who don't know how to ride tri bike) being passed by folks on mountain bikes

I've seen a lot of Oly triathletes on mtb. In Chicago, there is even a division for Divvy bikes. Nope, not the fastest ones, but they have plenty of fun.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Oly distance tri on a mountain bike? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

apparel for cold water tri (sprint distance)

Started by urge4vert
Views: 1234 Posts: 7

2017-05-22 10:42 AM urge4vert

Personal Lube - Novice Distance Tri

Started by TonyMax
Views: 821 Posts: 7

2016-11-04 7:22 AM TriMyBest

Beginner Advice on Tri Distance (swim)

Started by mdsfx
Views: 2505 Posts: 19

2017-07-12 5:09 PM marysia83

Tri Bike vs Road bike/aero bike questions