General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Junk laps? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-06-15 3:38 PM

User image

Subject: Junk laps?
Hi Everyone:
So I'm training for my first Ironman (I've got other distances under my belt, but it has been a few years) and am working on a self-created training plan. I've heard people talk about junk miles, but was wondering if the same concept applied for swim laps? Is there such a thing as junk laps? Like most people (I think), the swim of a tri causes the most anxiety for me. So I figured I'd work up to three miles in the pool so that I could be comfortable/confident doing 2.4 in open water. Any thoughts on the approach?

2017-06-15 6:44 PM
in reply to: PhilaGaryl

User image

Franklin, TN
Subject: RE: Junk laps?

I think most coaches would suggest you build up your volume using intervals from 25-200 yards.  The shorter intervals will allow you to reset and complete the next interval being mindful of good form.  As you get closer to your race date, you'll want to start incorporating race specific intervals on fairly short rest. ie. 10x400.  You could also throw in the occasional 1k time trial every couple of weeks to gauge your progress along the way.

2017-06-16 6:24 AM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
I've heard some coaches disagree with this, but I don't there is such a thing as junk laps for an adult onset swimmer. Given your anxiety in the water every second we spend in the water helps alleviate that. Just make sure you are using good form, as stated above.I often use a short (like 400 - 600 yards) swim as a cool down after a long run or particularly hard workout. Then again, I have REALLY convenient pool access so that may not be an option for most people so at least do an amount that makes it worth your trouble getting there.
2017-06-16 7:32 AM
in reply to: PhilaGaryl

Master
Northern IL

Have seen "junk" used to describe easier effort work by people who don't really understand training. But should be considered more as stuff that isn't productive. Like doing a bunch more work when recovery would be better. In the case of swimming, it can come in as one tires enough that their form suffers. Someone who is just coming back into swimming probably isn't going to be best served following a 6k+ swim club workout as they won't have the conditioning to keep their form up well enough nearly that long even though they may be able to keep moving their arms for more than an hour.

2017-06-16 11:05 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by brigby1

Have seen "junk" used to describe easier effort work by people who don't really understand training. But should be considered more as stuff that isn't productive. Like doing a bunch more work when recovery would be better. In the case of swimming, it can come in as one tires enough that their form suffers. Someone who is just coming back into swimming probably isn't going to be best served following a 6k+ swim club workout as they won't have the conditioning to keep their form up well enough nearly that long even though they may be able to keep moving their arms for more than an hour.

Agreed.

"Junk" miles or laps are junk terms.    It's more of a case of some things are more productive uses of your time than others.  In business, it's called opportunity cost.  You didn't lose anything, but you failed to gain something that you could of if you'd spent your time and resources differently.

Long continuous swims come with an opportunity cost compared to appropriately structured training sessions with intervals.

2017-06-16 11:26 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

I'm very unqualified to jump in here, but as you can see, it isn't stopping me

I think the term junk miles needs to be used with caution too. In running, some people think that if you are not pounding it all the time, it is junk. I run my weekly long run at least a minute/mile slower than race pace. Some people might call it junk. On the other hand, if I want to race at 8:30/mile, and all my runs are at 9:00/mile, I am a 9:00/mile runner, not 8:30. It's about balance. I do some weekly intervals in all the sports, where my pace is quite high for a short time.

Swimming to me is the toughest. I don't really have a "cruise along all day" pace like in running or cycling. I do try to swim harder at times to mix it up.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Junk laps? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lap swimming etiquette Pages: 1 2

Started by jessicarandall
Views: 2449 Posts: 29

2017-04-11 12:16 AM simpsonbo

XOllOX - Swim laps in your own pool!

Started by rbastien
Views: 918 Posts: 2

2017-03-05 6:49 PM rbastien

Swimming better with rest gaps for laps