General Discussion Triathlon Talk » mirrors Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-06-15 6:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Subject: mirrors
Feeling a little shaky on my new road bike. You know - first time out, fell over when I stopped and went to the clipped in side.

Does anybody use the drop bar mirrors that go on the end of the handle bar? Mostly sold as a left mirror, one place sells them as a pair. Do I want a right mirror? Has anyone found them helpful. Trying to avoid looking over my shoulder for too long.

Mitzi

2017-06-15 9:40 PM
in reply to: #5222465

User image

Franklin, TN
Subject: RE: mirrors
I don't use one, but if I did, I'd only have one for the left side (for U.S. roads). As you get more comfortable on the bike, you'll be able to move your head around with more confidence (assuming you go without a mirror). You don't need to turn your head all the way around...turn your head slightly and use your peripheral vision to check for overtaking traffic.
2017-06-16 4:22 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Subject: RE: mirrors
I don't use mirrors; I glance quickly over my left shoulder when I need to look behind me. If you do feel you need to use a mirror while you get comfortable on your new bike, I think left only is the way to go. All of your traffic will be on the left; upcoming cars or other cyclists passing you.

As far as falling over clipped into your pedals, I think everyone has done that at some point. If this is your first time riding with clipless pedals, I recommend you go to a parking lot and just practice clipping in and out of your bike. Practice unclipping one foot as you slow down and lean the bike to that side as you stop. Then practice clipping back in quickly as you restart...this is an important skill to master as it will make riding on the road much safer.
-john
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » mirrors Rss Feed