General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Could this HR data be accurate? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-06-21 5:35 PM

Subject: Could this HR data be accurate?
Hi All,

Did a brick workout this morning (40 min on the bike, into a 19 min run). The bike was a series of hills that were roughly zone 2 in between climbs with zone 4 climbs. My heart rate went up and down predictably. Off the bike I ran with 2 x 1km at 4:20/4:05 respectively. My heart rate blew up on the 2nd 1km repeat and apparently hit 198. I looked down and saw my HR so high and it made me a little concerned - does it seem to you guys like it would be accurate?

The first image is from the bike and the second is from the run.

https://ibb.co/b8iBOQ

https://ibb.co/bGWRq5

Thoughts?

Edited by drew_ab 2017-06-21 5:36 PM

2017-06-22 11:56 AM
in reply to: drew_ab

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Could this HR data be accurate?

Looking at the data, it's possible, but it's also possible that it's not.  It could be a battery that's getting low in the chest strap or running near interference (some people report this happening when near overhead high power lines).  More context is needed to be certain.

You said the bike was z2 with climbs up into z4.  How well established are you zones?  How did you establish them, how long ago, and how long have you been training?

Have you established running HR zones?  If so, how and when?

Did it feel like your HR was that high?  Did you confirm it manually (fingers on wrist or neck and count for a period of time)?  If it didn't feel like it was high, and checking it manually didn't confirm it, my money would be on bad data.

2017-06-22 12:24 PM

Master
Northern IL

In addition to what Don said, was it the same device for all activity? In the past I've used a HR strap to measure both while capturing with an Edge on the Bike and Forerunner on the run. Lately I've dropped the strap on the run and just go with the optical reading. It can give some screwy values at times.

2017-06-22 12:43 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by drew_ab

Hi All,

Did a brick workout this morning (40 min on the bike, into a 19 min run). The bike was a series of hills that were roughly zone 2 in between climbs with zone 4 climbs. My heart rate went up and down predictably. Off the bike I ran with 2 x 1km at 4:20/4:05 respectively. My heart rate blew up on the 2nd 1km repeat and apparently hit 198. I looked down and saw my HR so high and it made me a little concerned - does it seem to you guys like it would be accurate?

The first image is from the bike and the second is from the run.

https://ibb.co/b8iBOQ

https://ibb.co/bGWRq5

Thoughts?

My guess-you are young and it is accurate.
2017-06-22 2:06 PM
in reply to: dtoce

Hi All,

I really appreciate all the insight and feedback. Here is some of the answers to your questions:
1) The answer is that my zones aren't well established. 3-4 years ago I ran lots (up to 50 miles per week), but since then have been active, though never raced. I started training again 6 months ago for triathlon.

2) I didn't manually check my HR, and I was a little surprised to see it so high. I would have though 170, maybe 175.

3) It was the same device (garmin + cheststrap) for both activities.

4) Age is 32 - and I do have some genetic cardiac issues - I probably wouldn't have inquired about the HR if this wasn't the case. I *feel* pretty good all things considered though. I feel like I would expect to feel after a solid 60 minute workout with 4 hard hills and 2 x 1km repeats.

2017-06-22 2:39 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

Hi All,

I really appreciate all the insight and feedback. Here is some of the answers to your questions:
1) The answer is that my zones aren't well established. 3-4 years ago I ran lots (up to 50 miles per week), but since then have been active, though never raced. I started training again 6 months ago for triathlon.

2) I didn't manually check my HR, and I was a little surprised to see it so high. I would have though 170, maybe 175.

3) It was the same device (garmin + cheststrap) for both activities.

4) Age is 32 - and I do have some genetic cardiac issues - I probably wouldn't have inquired about the HR if this wasn't the case. I *feel* pretty good all things considered though. I feel like I would expect to feel after a solid 60 minute workout with 4 hard hills and 2 x 1km repeats.

I've taken care of lots of 32 yo athletes and their max measured HR is well above 200. You are within normal limits. The data from the device does not look like a spike, but more gradual and slightly increasing. Although matching a cadence of 170-190 and staying in that area is a frequent cause of 'false' HR readings, yours look real to me. Those types are often at the beginning of the workout when contact is less good and the body not warm/wet.

If you were a runner as a 20 something, your max HR will decrement less with age. We all go down, but variably, over time.

It would, of course, be useful to establish your tempo zones, if you are actually going to use the HR data.

2017-06-22 2:53 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by drew_ab Hi All, I really appreciate all the insight and feedback. Here is some of the answers to your questions: 1) The answer is that my zones aren't well established. 3-4 years ago I ran lots (up to 50 miles per week), but since then have been active, though never raced. I started training again 6 months ago for triathlon. 2) I didn't manually check my HR, and I was a little surprised to see it so high. I would have though 170, maybe 175. 3) It was the same device (garmin + cheststrap) for both activities. 4) Age is 32 - and I do have some genetic cardiac issues - I probably wouldn't have inquired about the HR if this wasn't the case. I *feel* pretty good all things considered though. I feel like I would expect to feel after a solid 60 minute workout with 4 hard hills and 2 x 1km repeats.

I suspect it's correct based in part on the bolded.

My suggestion is to do lactate threshold tests to establish zones (separate for the bike and run), and if it surges like that again, check it manually.  If it is going higher than your RPE suggests it should, then consult with your doctor.

Here's a good discussion regarding HR zones and testing:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25733&page=1#

2017-06-22 8:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by drew_ab Hi All, I really appreciate all the insight and feedback. Here is some of the answers to your questions: 1) The answer is that my zones aren't well established. 3-4 years ago I ran lots (up to 50 miles per week), but since then have been active, though never raced. I started training again 6 months ago for triathlon. 2) I didn't manually check my HR, and I was a little surprised to see it so high. I would have though 170, maybe 175. 3) It was the same device (garmin + cheststrap) for both activities. 4) Age is 32 - and I do have some genetic cardiac issues - I probably wouldn't have inquired about the HR if this wasn't the case. I *feel* pretty good all things considered though. I feel like I would expect to feel after a solid 60 minute workout with 4 hard hills and 2 x 1km repeats.

I suspect it's correct based in part on the bolded.

My suggestion is to do lactate threshold tests to establish zones (separate for the bike and run), and if it surges like that again, check it manually.  If it is going higher than your RPE suggests it should, then consult with your doctor.

Here's a good discussion regarding HR zones and testing:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25733&page=1#

He just did, unknowingly, consult a doctor. It's real. Don't worry about it going 'higher than your RPE suggests'.

Train on. Find your tempo/threshold HR and learn about it. That link is reasonable.

If you have SYMPTOMS of concern, contact your doctor.

DALE TOCE MD FACC
(that would be a board certified cardiologist...FTR)

Edited by dtoce 2017-06-22 8:45 PM
2017-06-22 10:01 PM
in reply to: 0

Dale,

Glad to meet you and thanks for your input. I wasn't going to elaborate, but since you've indicated your a cardiologist I may as well. I've had my aortic valve replaced twice (unfortunately the first one failed after 2 years of chronic endocarditis). When I had the 2nd valve replaced they also replaced my aorta and root. The was 6.5 years ago at the fairly young age of 26. Needless to say, having open heart surgery twice is not pleasant, but it's given me a good outlook on life and just how much there is to be grateful for.

The original problem was a bicuspid aortic valve if you were wondering. I seem to be symptom free otherwise but of course am going to keep a close eye on things (weightlifting makes me feel poorly, probably because it increases arterial stiffness). All of the long term markers of cardiac health are excellent... bp is 110/65, total cholesterol is 129, CRP is practically 0, BMI = 21, etc. In other words, I would be surprised to develop coronary artery disease, but other things are definitely possible. May as well attach an image too.

And FWIW, because there aren't really any health/longevity benefits from moving up to half/full ironman distances, I plan to stay away from those events.

Edited by drew_ab 2017-06-22 10:06 PM

(surgeryish.png)

Attachments
----------------
surgeryish.png (390KB - 9 downloads)
2017-06-22 10:41 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

Dale,

Glad to meet you and thanks for your input. I wasn't going to elaborate, but since you've indicated your a cardiologist I may as well. I've had my aortic valve replaced twice (unfortunately the first one failed after 2 years of chronic endocarditis). When I had the 2nd valve replaced they also replaced my aorta and root. The was 6.5 years ago at the fairly young age of 26. Needless to say, having open heart surgery twice is not pleasant, but it's given me a good outlook on life and just how much there is to be grateful for.

The original problem was a bicuspid aortic valve if you were wondering. I seem to be symptom free otherwise but of course am going to keep a close eye on things (weightlifting makes me feel poorly, probably because it increases arterial stiffness). All of the long term markers of cardiac health are excellent... bp is 110/65, total cholesterol is 129, CRP is practically 0, BMI = 21, etc. In other words, I would be surprised to develop coronary artery disease, but other things are definitely possible. May as well attach an image too.

And FWIW, because there aren't really any health/longevity benefits from moving up to half/full ironman distances, I plan to stay away from those events.

Nice.Good for you. I have lots of patients with bicuspid valves, some of which have had to have surgery. Hang tough. Focus on being active and enjoying life. Work to be active forever. Try to avoid weight lifting, as I'm sure you've heard before. Be active aeerobically. Tris are good.

Congratulations to you on keeping the positive focus. Well done. Life is short-enjoy it to the max.

Feel free to contact me. I am in CT.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Could this HR data be accurate? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Importing Excel data into Garmin Connect

Started by eastcoastwahine
Views: 1359 Posts: 1

2017-03-20 10:23 AM eastcoastwahine

HR Zone Question

Started by scottficek
Views: 984 Posts: 7

2016-12-12 8:37 PM brigby1