Other Resources The Political Joe » Solar Wall Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2017-06-22 9:00 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Solar Wall
Trump is suggesting we build a wall our of solar panels along the US/Mexico border. IDK who came up with the idea but I think it is brilliant! You throw a bone to the environmental folks, reduce cost of the wall with the power generated, secure the boarder and create thousands of jobs. Sounds like a win, win, win, win.....

2017-06-22 11:19 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Solar Wall

i can't even begin to explain how unfeasible that is....how much of an energy security risk that is....and how expensive that would be.

2017-06-22 12:37 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Tejas
Yeah it does sound silly.

Dave, what exactly is an energy security risk?
2017-06-22 12:55 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Champion
Alabama
Well I think it is brilliant and very feasible. You build a 20 foot wall and you put solar panels on top of the walls that move to track the sun.

And you privatize it! The government will subsidize your portion of the wall provided it generates 1.21 jigawatts. Like all companies, you will be responsible for the security of your wall and panels.

Beak the wall into 0.25 mile long segments and sell the rights to the wall/solar panel to companies and individuals. You will be given loans to build the wall and the government will take 50% of your electrical power generation until the loan is paid off.
2017-06-22 1:21 PM

User image

Pro

I hear they are now looking at building the wall out of fish caught from the Rio Grande.

2017-06-22 1:26 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Rogillio

Well I think it is brilliant and very feasible. You build a 20 foot wall and you put solar panels on top of the walls that move to track the sun.

And you privatize it! The government will subsidize your portion of the wall provided it generates 1.21 jigawatts. Like all companies, you will be responsible for the security of your wall and panels.

Beak the wall into 0.25 mile long segments and sell the rights to the wall/solar panel to companies and individuals. You will be given loans to build the wall and the government will take 50% of your electrical power generation until the loan is paid off.

So Solyndra only different?

2017-06-22 1:28 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Left Brain

I hear they are now looking at building the wall out of fish caught from the Rio Grande.

The problem there is going to be the environmentalists and PETA.
2017-06-22 1:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mdg2003

Trump is doing away with PETA.....and the EPA.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-06-22 1:54 PM
2017-06-22 1:54 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
I'm thinking more along the lines of the Oklahoma Land Rush of 1889. Divide up all the land along the border in 2 acres wide x 10 acres deep - 20 acre parcels. You all start from the same place and the first person to plant a flag on their parcel gets the land! The cost of the land is they have to build a wall within 5 years across the land and install government provided solar panels on top of the wall.

2017-06-22 1:55 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio I'm thinking more along the lines of the Oklahoma Land Rush of 1889. Divide up all the land along the border in 2 acres wide x 10 acres deep - 20 acre parcels. You all start from the same place and the first person to plant a flag on their parcel gets the land! The cost of the land is they have to build a wall within 5 years across the land and install government provided solar panels on top of the wall.

Bro - let go of the solar panels.....just let it go.

2017-06-22 2:01 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by Rogillio I'm thinking more along the lines of the Oklahoma Land Rush of 1889. Divide up all the land along the border in 2 acres wide x 10 acres deep - 20 acre parcels. You all start from the same place and the first person to plant a flag on their parcel gets the land! The cost of the land is they have to build a wall within 5 years across the land and install government provided solar panels on top of the wall.

Bro - let go of the solar panels.....just let it go.

OK, if not solar than nuclear! We take all our nuclear waster from nuclear power plants around the country and we store the spent fuel rods in the desert along the border.....when the illegals start glowing.....we shoot them in the dark!

2017-06-22 2:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

so you have energy production on/along the wall.  people and businesses rely on said energy.  Very easy to disrupt or damage.  Imagine some guys from the cartel go into the desert and take the panels, or cut the transmission line, or reroute it.

2017-06-22 2:38 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmiller5

so you have energy production on/along the wall.  people and businesses rely on said energy.  Very easy to disrupt or damage.  Imagine some guys from the cartel go into the desert and take the panels, or cut the transmission line, or reroute it.

That's where the infrared guided missle enhanced satellites that Trump and Putin have been working on together come into play.

2017-06-22 3:20 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

A buddy of mine grew up in Bolivia where his dad worked in the oil fields. The locals used to throw a chain over the power lines to trip the breaker and then climb up the poles and steal the copper wire. So the locals rigged up a breaker that would trip and then automatically reset a few minutes later. They pulled dead man off the wires the next day. They never again had trouble with people stealing their wire.

If by reroute the power lines you mean steal the electricity.....that could theoretically happen anywhere in the US. But power companies monitor the entire electrical grid and know when/where/how much power is being generated and distributed.

Seriously though I think the way to secure the boarder is with drones. They can be mass produced and equipped with video, IR, audio, and RF sensor and fly constantly for pennies an hour.
2017-06-22 4:25 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas

So you are conceding that there are people coming across the border that intend to do us harm? Stands to reason you're in favor of building the wall then?
2017-06-22 4:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Rogillio

A buddy of mine grew up in Bolivia where his dad worked in the oil fields. The locals used to throw a chain over the power lines to trip the breaker and then climb up the poles and steal the copper wire. So the locals rigged up a breaker that would trip and then automatically reset a few minutes later. They pulled dead man off the wires the next day. They never again had trouble with people stealing their wire.

If by reroute the power lines you mean steal the electricity.....that could theoretically happen anywhere in the US. But power companies monitor the entire electrical grid and know when/where/how much power is being generated and distributed.

Seriously though I think the way to secure the boarder is with drones. They can be mass produced and equipped with video, IR, audio, and RF sensor and fly constantly for pennies an hour.

Those drones would need to be armed. Just like your instance in Bolivia, once someone dies it changes the dynamic of everything. Light up a caravan of illegals coming in and word gets out almost immediately. Putting the Corps down there leapfrogging a live firing range pointing south would clear up a lot too. Just pick random spots along the border and let them have a mad minute at randomly selected times in the middle of the night. Shiite would come to a halt .

Edited by mdg2003 2017-06-22 4:31 PM

2017-06-24 10:49 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

... and the fact that we will no longer have access to the Rio Grande because of the wall. Gotta be the most stupid idea in an era filled with stupid ideas. Let's just say Mexico ain't gonna pay for it and we can't afford it and move on to things we actually CAN do.
2017-06-26 11:40 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Get out of here with that nonsense.  Very little of the land along the Texas / Mexico border is owned by the Federal government (unlike New Mexico, Arizona, and California).  It's either owned by the Great State of Texas or private landowners - which is one of the reasons why it is cost prohibitive to built a wall along the Texas border (the terrain and opposition from Texans are two other reasons).  

2017-06-26 12:52 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Hook'em

Get out of here with that nonsense.  Very little of the land along the Texas / Mexico border is owned by the Federal government (unlike New Mexico, Arizona, and California).  It's either owned by the Great State of Texas or private landowners - which is one of the reasons why it is cost prohibitive to built a wall along the Texas border (the terrain and opposition from Texans are two other reasons).  

I wasn't aware of that. Just trying to think outside the box.
2017-06-28 11:24 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Oysterboy

... and the fact that we will no longer have access to the Rio Grande because of the wall. Gotta be the most stupid idea in an era filled with stupid ideas. Let's just say Mexico ain't gonna pay for it and we can't afford it and move on to things we actually CAN do.

When you have infinite money you can afford anything. :-D 

2017-06-28 1:54 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by Oysterboy

When you have infinite money you can afford anything. :-D 

We spent 150 billion on the International Space Station....and there are no illegal astronauts on it either!

I don't think we will ever see a 2,000 mile long Great Wall of China type wall but this age of AI and drones and satellites and robots. I think the goal should be to make it harder and harder to cross the border. Might also help if we had a better worker program where you can come across the border, work for a season and then go back home.

I think immigration reform and border control are inextricable.

2017-06-28 2:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

what about the part where most of the illegal immigrants don't physically walk across that border in uncontrolled areas?

2017-06-28 2:25 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

what about the part where most of the illegal immigrants don't physically walk across that border in uncontrolled areas?

There is some truth to this because the real issue isn't so much a wall to physically prevent people from coming over as it is removing the incentives or increasing the penalties for those that do come over.  We've already seen this since Trump took office with a massive decrease in illegal border crossings and such.  The people know that the border is being more heavily policed and the working climate has changed drastically so they're not going to be able to get a job or get free benefits.  Hence, they choose to not come.

I've always had mixed opinions about the whole illegal immigration issue because our politicians have encouraged and enticed the good people of mexico to come here.  They're extremely hard working people and companies want them for labor and democrats want them for votes.  So both parties have been looking the other way for decades.  It's not the immigrants fault they're here.  Heck, I'd be the first person in line trying to get here if I had the misfortune of being born a couple thousand miles further south. 

2017-06-28 2:27 PM

User image

Exactly!

I teach the Dreamers - the students who were brought here at a young age by their parents. None of them crossed in uncontrolled areas. They either came by bus or by plane. Most of them were brought by parents who came with visa but they over-stayed that visa. Building a wall will not solve the problem. All they have to do is dig a tunnel or two. Oh wait, that's already been happening.
2017-06-28 2:45 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by fortissimo

Exactly!

I teach the Dreamers - the students who were brought here at a young age by their parents. None of them crossed in uncontrolled areas. They either came by bus or by plane. Most of them were brought by parents who came with visa but they over-stayed that visa. Building a wall will not solve the problem. All they have to do is dig a tunnel or two. Oh wait, that's already been happening.

But tunnels cost money. Who pays for the tunnels? The illegals. So if it cost them more money to cross then we get a better class of indigents crossing over!! j/k

I agree a wall does not mean a wall. My IT department's firewall is neither structural nor flame retardant.

The wall is not homogenous (or misogynists or bigoted....wait, wrong thread) and what works for one are won't work in other areas. In some places you could cover a hundred mile with drones, dogs, watch towers and 4.3 guards.

We will never STOP of the flow of drugs into the US....but we sure as heck can slow it down and make it very expensive. That is what we need to do. Make it so hard and expensive it simply is not worth it.

On a liberal note...I think if we can help the Mexican build a stronger economy that would go a long way into curbing the flow of immigration.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Solar Wall Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

The Wall

Started by Rogillio
Views: 770 Posts: 19

2017-05-17 3:23 PM spudone

"Fearless Girl" statue on Wall Street Pages: 1 2

Started by Left Brain
Views: 1888 Posts: 30

2017-03-17 8:20 AM crowny2