General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming on Race Day - where to start? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-06-22 9:22 AM

Subject: Swimming on Race Day - where to start?
So, my first race is coming up in a few weeks (get queasy every time I think about it), and I'm trying to figure out where I should place myself at the swim. I'll be with the last group - all novices (me), athenas and clydesdales. I definitely don't want to be in the front of my group and will stick to the back, but should it be in the middle, on the outside of the course or the inside. Or am I too worried about something that really doesn't matter?

2017-06-22 10:06 AM
in reply to: Trine

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Swimming on Race Day - where to start?

The novice group is usually not that big and crazy in the swim as compared to the age groupers. I would recommend a little to the outside but not all alone. I usually pick out some markers in the distance that I can align and sight myself with in the swim.

Try to give yourself some space from other swimmers so you don't get kicked in the face and have your goggles knocked off.

Make sure you control your breathing and relax. I would recommend sighting every four to five strokes so you know you are going in the correct direction.

Good luck and let us know how you did.
2017-06-22 10:44 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by Trine

So, my first race is coming up in a few weeks (get queasy every time I think about it), and I'm trying to figure out where I should place myself at the swim. I'll be with the last group - all novices (me), athenas and clydesdales. I definitely don't want to be in the front of my group and will stick to the back, but should it be in the middle, on the outside of the course or the inside. Or am I too worried about something that really doesn't matter?

Positioning on the swim matters. If it is a clockwise loop, line up towards the left and towards the back. Swimming a little bit extra is worth minimizing contact-especially in a group with athenas/clydes.

Remember to get a good swim warm up in and have the wetsuit on and adjusted correctly. Practice a few minutes of anaerobic strokes/faster work just to breathe harder during the w/u. Then get relaxed and comfortable prior to and at the start. Ease into the water. If you can breathe on both sides you will probably see the group easily as they head towards the first buoy. Try to minimize lifting the head up to sight but know your landmarks and sighting every 5-10 strokes is reasonable, depending on what you've practiced. Make sure you are on course and stay relaxed. I try to count my first 50 strokes/breaths and keep them super relaxed and easy as I am prone to panic attacks once the contact starts.

Good luck. You will do fine!
2017-06-22 11:46 AM
in reply to: dtoce

Originally posted by dtoce

Positioning on the swim matters. If it is a clockwise loop, line up towards the left and towards the back. Swimming a little bit extra is worth minimizing contact-especially in a group with athenas/clydes.

Remember to get a good swim warm up in and have the wetsuit on and adjusted correctly. Practice a few minutes of anaerobic strokes/faster work just to breathe harder during the w/u. Then get relaxed and comfortable prior to and at the start. Ease into the water. If you can breathe on both sides you will probably see the group easily as they head towards the first buoy. Try to minimize lifting the head up to sight but know your landmarks and sighting every 5-10 strokes is reasonable, depending on what you've practiced. Make sure you are on course and stay relaxed. I try to count my first 50 strokes/breaths and keep them super relaxed and easy as I am prone to panic attacks once the contact starts.

Thank you! I've been debating the wetsuit. Right now the water temperature is 72 and it still has another two weeks of summer weather to go higher, so it may creep above 76, which makes wetsuits optional. Plus, I'm guessing a fair amount of my swim will be breaststroke - is that even doable in a wetsuit?

Anyway, I realize it's not the fastest stroke in the world and that it uses your legs more. I'm practicing freestyle and certainly am getting better and faster, but I'm not super comfortable yet and it still requires a lot of thinking to keep form and not swallow a lot of water after 50-100 yards - on the flip side, I'm 100% comfortable with breaststroke. And fast-ish. And most of my strength is in my legs. Hopefully it'll be okay this time around and then I can take some private lessons if I sign up for another race
2017-06-22 12:41 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by Trine

Originally posted by dtoce

Thank you! I've been debating the wetsuit. Right now the water temperature is 72 and it still has another two weeks of summer weather to go higher, so it may creep above 76, which makes wetsuits optional. Plus, I'm guessing a fair amount of my swim will be breaststroke - is that even doable in a wetsuit?

Anyway, I realize it's not the fastest stroke in the world and that it uses your legs more. I'm practicing freestyle and certainly am getting better and faster, but I'm not super comfortable yet and it still requires a lot of thinking to keep form and not swallow a lot of water after 50-100 yards - on the flip side, I'm 100% comfortable with breaststroke. And fast-ish. And most of my strength is in my legs. Hopefully it'll be okay this time around and then I can take some private lessons if I sign up for another race

What is the swim distance? Can you do the freestyle (slowly) for that entire distance in practice, in a wetsuit? I would avoid doing the breast stroke in a triathlon for two reasons: 1) it's not as fast as freestyle and 2) you can hurt others by kicking them in the side. You should plan on wearing the wetsuit on race day. You will not overheat and as a beginner, you need the buoyancy.

Get comfortable going slowly and steady. Breathing easily and comfortably doing freestyle. Get your body position good-legs/butt up-head down and kick just enough to keep balance. Do as much open water swimming in the wetsuit as you can. Heck, do as much swimming as you can-even if for only a short distance. It will make you MUCH more comfortable in the water.
2017-06-22 1:44 PM

Heh....I'm about to tell a triathlonner not to 'overthink' it.
And this, coming from the guy who actually enjoys(?) overthinking and just posted a link to a tactical (albeit sensible and logical, yet often overlooked) tip for a specific swim.

I generally don't overthink the swim anymore. Because almost every time I've tried....it feels like I totally chose wrong. And that's probably because in my overthinkingness, I developed an unreasonable expectation.

As someone said, when in doubt....swim a little extra further if you don't want to mix it up with too many others. On a few occasions, I've just taken a severe angle towards the 'outside'. Which is a double-plus if there's any confidence questions as that often puts you closer to kayaks/etc.

2017-06-22 2:14 PM
in reply to: dtoce

Mjeah - that's definitely some food for thought. I'll do as much freestyle as I can; however, while I'm not great at that, I'm a very strong swimmer when it comes to breaststroke and perfectly comfortable in pool or open water. So thus far my strategy will be to stay in the back and out to the side away from most people. At least with breaststroke I can see when I pass people and switch to freestyle. I'm in the last group, so there won't be anybody behind me.

I'm doing an OWS this weekend and will reevaluate after that...
2017-06-22 2:17 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

Originally posted by jhaack39

Heh....I'm about to tell a triathlonner not to 'overthink' it.
And this, coming from the guy who actually enjoys(?) overthinking and just posted a link to a tactical (albeit sensible and logical, yet often overlooked) tip for a specific swim.

I generally don't overthink the swim anymore. Because almost every time I've tried....it feels like I totally chose wrong. And that's probably because in my overthinkingness, I developed an unreasonable expectation.

As someone said, when in doubt....swim a little extra further if you don't want to mix it up with too many others. On a few occasions, I've just taken a severe angle towards the 'outside'. Which is a double-plus if there's any confidence questions as that often puts you closer to kayaks/etc.

I'm fine with the swim part (i.e. not nervous about OWS since I spent most of my youth in the Adriatic sea and the local lake). But yeah, I probably am overthinking it. You don't even want to know what conundrum it was trying to decide what to do about my hair - long and thick and annoying.

I'm sure I'll forget to think about something I really should have thought about
2017-06-22 3:55 PM

Originally posted by TrineYou don't even want to know what conundrum it was trying to decide what to do about my hair - long and thick and annoying.

I'm sure I'll forget to think about something I really should have thought about

Ahahahahahahaha. Awesome. Long hair.....I finally maybe found something I don't have to overthink.

Wait a minute though. While I don't have to overthink how to manage actual real long hair.....

However, I am pretty sure I have had the following conversation with myself....
"OK, well, I don't want hair hanging down in my eyes on a long race....since I like to get it cut short and just let it grow....I better time my haircut so it's not longish, but not too close to the race that if it's really short....it's a sunburn opportunity on my head."

I think I have a bit of a minor disorder in that I stave off any meaningful anxiety by creating meaningless anxiety and focus on that.

2017-06-23 2:00 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Assuming you know your own pace, seed yourself appropriately by asking those around you how fast they expect to be.  Put space between yourself and anyone who replies "I don't know."  

If the water is 72F and you have a wetsuit, you can choose to wear it or not (but...only if you bring it to the race with you...)  If you don't have one, I wouldn't rush out and buy/borrow/rent one.  Frankly (former lifeguard here), you have no business getting into the water if you are relying on the buoyancy of a wetsuit. 

If you seed yourself behind slower swimmers (i.e. at the back), you'll expend extra energy pausing/treading water and then swimming around them.  Additionally, you'll create some unnecessary frustration/anxiety because of the slowdown and extra effort.  (It takes very little stimulation to send your mind off in unwanted directions.  So that 3 second delay to swim around someone becomes 3 minutes in your mind and you spend the entire rest of the race trying to get those fictitious 3 minutes back.)  Remember you're doing this "for F-U-N" not frustration. 

If you're uncomfortable with the prospect of getting bumped or touched (including dunked), swim to the outside of the group.  

If you tend to drift left, bias yourself to the right side.  If you tend to drift right, bias to the left.  If you don't know (yet), next time you go to the pool, swim a length with your eyes closed and count which lane line you touch most.  

For open water swims, I try to keep someone on each side of me but more to the outside.  

2017-06-26 9:43 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

Originally posted by McFuzz

Assuming you know your own pace, seed yourself appropriately by asking those around you how fast they expect to be.  Put space between yourself and anyone who replies "I don't know."  

If the water is 72F and you have a wetsuit, you can choose to wear it or not (but...only if you bring it to the race with you...)  If you don't have one, I wouldn't rush out and buy/borrow/rent one.  Frankly (former lifeguard here), you have no business getting into the water if you are relying on the buoyancy of a wetsuit. 

If you seed yourself behind slower swimmers (i.e. at the back), you'll expend extra energy pausing/treading water and then swimming around them.  Additionally, you'll create some unnecessary frustration/anxiety because of the slowdown and extra effort.  (It takes very little stimulation to send your mind off in unwanted directions.  So that 3 second delay to swim around someone becomes 3 minutes in your mind and you spend the entire rest of the race trying to get those fictitious 3 minutes back.)  Remember you're doing this "for F-U-N" not frustration. 

If you're uncomfortable with the prospect of getting bumped or touched (including dunked), swim to the outside of the group.  

If you tend to drift left, bias yourself to the right side.  If you tend to drift right, bias to the left.  If you don't know (yet), next time you go to the pool, swim a length with your eyes closed and count which lane line you touch most.  

For open water swims, I try to keep someone on each side of me but more to the outside.  

So, I did the practice OWS yesterday. I'm incredibly grateful for the people who set this up. Having a 300 m course and people in kayaks keeping an eye on you was very comforting - it was a really great experience and I learned some important things that I'm glad I'm now not learning on race day.

1. I'm not afraid of swimming in open water (so many people seemed to be concerned about it, so I thought that maybe I should be scared. Turns out I'm not.)
2. I attempted to do some freestyle, but I need more training. It takes too much thinking still. If I enjoy my first sprint, getting an OWS swim coach is my first priority so I can transition into mostly doing freestyle as opposed to breaststroke.
3. Some of the posts here gave me some incredibly helpful insights (thank you all!!) - my heart and lungs were not cooperating at first, but after a bit I found my rhythm focusing on long smooth strokes, calm breathing and keeping an eye on the buoy in front of me.
4. The water in the harbor was 80 degrees, so no wetsuits. I don't have one either, and the water where my sprint is at should be close to the same temp - maybe a few degrees cooler. Anyway, I did just fine without it

Having done a brick the day before and having a bike ride looming afterwards, I kept it to two rounds (600 m) and feel a lot more comfortable. I'm definitely not going to be the fastest in the water, but I'm confident that I can make it through the swim and still be able to bike and run-ish. I did enjoy my bike ride afterwards, even if I did forget sunblock and now have a most amazing sunburn on my back. Ouch.

2017-06-26 11:45 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by McFuzz

Asking others about their expectations is a good idea, but not in a novice group. Some of them probably never had (or had very little) of open water experience, or will base their assumptions on a couple of good swims in a pool, where they were by themselves.

If you are in a last group, how about you observe how the groups before you behave? See if there is a trend, what path weaker swimmers tend to take, and which way the aggressive ones go. There is a chance there will be a pattern that your group, and the following one will take. This way you may prepare some mental plan on how to go.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming on Race Day - where to start? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Breathing during the race vs pool swimming

Started by jettabar99
Views: 2114 Posts: 16

2016-12-24 12:11 PM Oysterboy

8.20.16 Race Day...aaaah!

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 740 Posts: 6

2016-08-20 6:53 PM Hot Runner

Breakfast drink for race day

Started by linkslefty
Views: 1382 Posts: 14

2016-08-12 8:22 PM tzcoaching

last swim session before a race?

Started by SenatorClayDavis
Views: 1309 Posts: 7

2016-06-23 9:58 AM tedjohn

IM Swim start format

Started by TTom
Views: 1537 Posts: 14

2016-07-04 9:18 PM TTom
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 31, 2016
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Female triathlete wonders if unprecedented back spasms are related to menstrual period.

date : July 31, 2016
author : Team BT
You're Ready...Is Your Bike? Common problems that ruin race day:
date : July 31, 2016
author : Team BT
Dos and Don'ts for the Transition Area and more...