General Discussion Triathlon Talk » goggles leaking sometimes when swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-06-27 2:27 PM

User image

Subject: goggles leaking sometimes when swimming
I've noticed when I've been swimming that the left "lens" of my goggles leaks. I've done everything I can think of to ensure a tight, waterproof seal, but no matter what, after 150-200m, it starts leaking again. I've had this part of goggles for a few years, but only recently dealt with the leaking issue. I do have big bushy eye brows, so I'm curious if that plays into it.

Other than buying a whole new pair to see if that helps, what recommendations do you all have to avoiding leakage?

2017-06-27 2:42 PM
in reply to: robertChiefsFan

Subject: RE: goggles leaking sometimes when swimming
Definitely, chime in if you have input.
With additional info like "how tight should goggles be?"

Seems I can avoid the leakage only when the goggles are right at the line of being painful. When I first put them on, I think "no way, too tight, but I don't notice it once I'm swimming." It still doesn't feel right.

I don't get water in there often, but it seems like once I do....I have zero chance of it being leak free the rest of that session...no matter what I try to do.

2017-06-27 4:42 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Originally posted by jhaack39

I don't get water in there often, but it seems like once I do....I have zero chance of it being leak free the rest of that session...no matter what I try to do.

I've noticed that too - once they start leaking, that's it. Should I be putting them on dry?
2017-06-28 10:20 AM

Originally posted by robertChiefsFan

I've noticed that too - once they start leaking, that's it. Should I be putting them on dry?

No clue. We need some experts up in herr.
I put mine on dry.
I think I wear them too tight. I also know that if I 'scrunch' my face big time and break that seal around my eye socket....I'm bound to leak.
2017-06-28 10:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Not an expert but this is what I do with my goggles.

1. I like to wet the seal of the goggles with pool/lake water.
2. Place a little spit on the lenses to keep from fogging.
3. I put goggles on with only bottom strap first around my head.
4. I press the goggles around my eyes to get them to seal and adjust the bottom strap tighter until I get seal.
5. Once sealed, I put top strap of goggles around my head.

This usually works without any leakage for me.
2017-06-28 12:50 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

You'd think I would have thought to try putting them on loose....and tightening from there.
It makes all the sense in the world.

Sometimes I just have no sense. None at all.

2017-06-28 1:36 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

You'd think I would have thought to try putting them on loose....and tightening from there.
It makes all the sense in the world.

Sometimes I just have no sense. None at all.

I discovered this method after getting tired of my goggles leaking one or two laps into swim. I wish I would have thought of it sooner but I spent many of days with the same problem you experienced.
2017-06-28 3:19 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

Life would have been so much easier if I'd been a swim team kid.

Of course, life would have been easier if I wasn't a fat kid too, but that's a whole 'nother matter.
2017-06-28 5:16 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

If I have my swim cap pulled down too far in front I'll get a leak...it creates a small gap where the water can get in. 

2017-06-28 11:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I'm no expert but I may be able to add some info to the mix.  

If your goggles are leaking they likely don't fit your face for one reason or another - go to a local store with swim gear and get someone to show you how to pick a pair of goggles that fit.  Basically when pressed to your eyes they should suction cup to your face without falling off.  If they fall off they don't fit.  If the store salespeople don't know how to fit goggles to your face go somewhere else.  I bought my most recent goggles from Amazon but I knew what I wanted.  Don't buy from Amazon until you know what fits your face.

If they leak or are painful they aren't right for you.  If they leave their outline around your eyes they are too tight.

Swim caps, beards and scrunchy faces can cause leaks.  I don't wear swim caps except in races, I have a beard but I don't have trouble with my goggles - most of the time.

I started out with Aquasphere goggles and they worked well for me but in 2013 I was given a pair of Zoggs (I'm currently wearing a pair of Zoggs Predator Flex) and they have been great (for me).  They last well and I've never tightened them.  I opened the package and put them on and wear them as they come out of the package.  That is just lucky - not everyone can do that but some goggles should fit you like mine fit me.

Like Godawgs, I spit in my goggles, wipe the lenses with a fingertip to coat the lenses  then lightly rinse the goggles in the pool then put the goggles on, make sure I have no water in them and then press them to my eyes just enough to create that suction cup feeling then I start swimming and an hour later I take them off with no more than minimal discomfort (mostly none at all).

I hope this helps.

2017-06-29 3:19 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Check the nosepiece.  If they're adjustable, did the nosepiece slip one notch out?  

The goggles need to seal against your eye sockets, not against your temple.  Put them on, and look in the mirror.  Angle your head, and look to see if the goggles are trying to seal against your temple by moving your jaw.  If the temple movement is under your goggle seal, it'll leak.  

2017-07-03 7:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Should nicely fit in your eye sockets.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
2017-07-03 8:50 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Originally posted by simpsonbo

Should nicely fit in your eye sockets.

What type of goggles are those, Bo?

thanks..
2017-07-04 9:50 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Arena Cobra Ultra. Pretty popular with age group and elite swimmers. Lots of swimmers wore them in Rio
  • .. including Penny

• 2017-07-04 9:53 AM
    in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Veteran
    Great White North
    2018-03-03 7:12 AM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Wytheville, Virginia
    While swimming, there are many safety measures which must be taken during swimming. Also one should wear swimming accessories before going for swimming. Few days back, I bought swimming goggles for my brother from some recommended sites, as he is a swimmer, So I bought sunglasses in bulk for him.

Edited by ChristopherPalmer 2018-03-03 7:14 AM

2018-08-18 1:31 AM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Hi there, I know this is an old thread, but I want to share my thoughts. I can understand your problem, Many times goggles under the water get leaked. So I think wearing a good quality of swimming goggles is one of the best ways to avoid the leaking of goggles. One of my was facing similar kind of problem, So, exploring about the swimming goggles he was recommended some useful sites that offer wholesale sunglasses in bulk.

Edited by ARWilliamson 2018-08-18 1:32 AM
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » goggles leaking sometimes when swimming Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

Open Water Goggle Lenses

Started by britz1784
    Views: 1001 Posts: 5

2017-04-17 12:54 AM Trilogy

VR Goggles and indoor training?

Started by jareed58
    Views: 1461 Posts: 5

2017-01-09 6:41 PM tedjohn

Andrea Hewitt - No Goggles?

Started by jdevito20
    Views: 2225 Posts: 8