General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Ready for Olympic/international? Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-06-27 5:32 PM

Subject: Ready for Olympic/international?
Hello all,

I am new to the Tri culture, but I love it. I am seeking some advice. I just completed my first sprint triathlon and ended up finishing 1st in my age group (Male 20-24). Granted, this sounds great but there were only 8 people in my division.

• 75k swim 2:00 pace

• 20k bike

5k run -- 7:45 pace

1:26.07 finishing time.

The Chicago Triathlon is in two months exactly and I am very seriously considering to attempt the Olympic distance. Is this a bad Idea? Too soon? I am willing to dedicate a fair amount of time and train hard.

Let me know what you guys think,

Thanks.

2017-06-28 3:58 PM
    in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: Ready for Olympic/international?
    Originally posted by tri(ll)

Hello all,

I am new to the Tri culture, but I love it. I am seeking some advice. I just completed my first sprint triathlon and ended up finishing 1st in my age group (Male 20-24). Granted, this sounds great but there were only 8 people in my division.

• 75k swim 2:00 pace

• 20k bike

5k run -- 7:45 pace

1:26.07 finishing time.

The Chicago Triathlon is in two months exactly and I am very seriously considering to attempt the Olympic distance. Is this a bad Idea? Too soon? I am willing to dedicate a fair amount of time and train hard.

Let me know what you guys think,

Thanks.

As long as you wouldn't hurt yourself doing a 10k and don't expect to be that close to the top, you betcha.
    Only thing that would prevent you is if 5k was like the most you've ever run in your life.
    And even then, you've got 7 weeks.

Just be prepared for these freaks of nature who will average 24 mph on the bike, and run 6 minute miles....or faster.

I'm not one of them.

Welcome to the madness.

edit: I'm no expert. I'm a 46 year old former fat guy.

Edited by jhaack39 2017-06-28 3:58 PM
    New Thread
    General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Ready for Olympic/international? Rss Feed