General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me get shredded! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-06-28 8:35 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Help me get shredded!
Lord willing I will celebrate my 49th birthday next month. I have engaged in some form of regular exercise/training for almost 35 years. For many years this took the form of weight training/bodybuilding (natural). I have also participated in numerous other physical pursuits over the years and always been very active and "in-shape". I discovered triathlon eleven years ago and that has become a mainstay as well. Unfortunately I have a sedentary job and am basically behind a computer most of the time. I can accept that years of cell replication has resulted in less resilient skin and a once bright and youthful visage is now etched with worry driven wrinkles. I still lift in addition to tri training and feel strong and carry reasonable mass. But I yearn for the days of my youth (who doesn't ?). The midriff has become a concern. My six pack has succumbed to a six pack, more recently of the craft beer variety. It's so good! I know it's all about discipline or lack thereof. Probably need an overhaul of the diet. I know there is no magical panacea but wondered what the masses did to recapture their glory days. Accept the inevitable or go not gentle into the good night!?

2017-06-29 1:58 AM
in reply to: CBess

User image

Subject: RE: Help me get shredded!
I can relate to much of what you said (love of beer, turned 50 this month, etc.), but my situation is also very different (I was more into the party life and have a lost decade because of that, but strangely enough I always pursued exercise through it all).

A couple of comments. You have to cut out the frequent/daily beer. Maybe you can even switch to something like scotch and limit things to once a week (assuming you don't have any danger of that becoming a problem). I have decided to finally lose weight this year and balance things through lost weight. So with this approach I'm actually still improving with running and on hills with the bike. I imagine weight training would be very good, but I just don't have the time to squeeze in another workout every week. But it looks like you're doing the right thing in this regard and probably will reap some balancing benefits of that. And most definitely, "Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
2017-06-29 3:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada

I have often seen and heard the expression, "Six-pack abs are created in the kitchen"....

2017-06-29 8:52 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

Champion
No excuses!
Originally posted by triosaurus

I have often seen and heard the expression, "Six-pack abs are created in the kitchen"....

TRUTH!
2017-06-30 2:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
I'll be watching posts. Similar story though my weight came on with staying home with two kids that I had at 39 and 40. I wasn't very happy home, but at the time I was earning very little as a grad student plus wanted to be there for them. I ate a lot. At 5'1" I got up to 190#.

About 4 years ago got down to 131 and felt and looked great. Now at 58 I've maintained wt. loss where I've been about 151 for years. Ate very healthy with some junk food thrown in.

I'm discouraged. My training isn't rigorous or consistent enough to lose weight but for months my diet has been clean, no junk food, don't drink, avoid refined carbs. Haven't had rice in years. Bread is low carb or sprouted wheat. It's been a month since I had any artificial sweetners (do no-calorie monk fruit and stevia) though usually just drink water, pop a caffeine pill if I need as tea without 1/2 and 1/2 and splenda is yucky. Can't believe that I kicked my diet Coke habit. Doing that because I've read that artificial sweeteners can alter you bacterial flora (?) negatively.

Disappointed that I haven't lost a #. I live surrounded by hills, some of which are 10-12 degrees. It is not easy logging my body up them.
I hope to be able to post soon that it is all working...

Edited by MuscleMomma 2017-06-30 2:37 AM
2017-06-30 3:25 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

, Toscana
Hi all

I am a bit younger but bad diet goes the same for all generations.

As MuscleMomma said this is a great first step. Cut on the bread and sugar. If possible completely. Instead of bread eat more green leafy veggies. And instead of sugar (I mean sugar in form of refined in coffee, coke or tea sugar or lollipops, ice cream etc) eat fruits and veggies. Unless you have some real health issues (thyroid gland etc.) this should already do a big favour to your health and looks.

Cheers
A

2017-06-30 12:11 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

I'm older than you.

What worked for me was training volume.  As my workouts got longer I started shedding weight (mostly from longer run or bike workouts). 

I like beer but I don't drink much of it...maybe 1 (max 2) after a long(ish) bike ride or with a meal (gotta be Mexican).  I don't like the sluggish feeling I get if I have more than that. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me get shredded! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Getting the bike timing down

Started by Jased
Views: 1508 Posts: 8

2017-02-07 6:08 AM nickster

Full Ironman - Getting to the next level

Started by mcondie
Views: 1369 Posts: 7

2016-11-19 11:26 AM 3mar

Getting faster on the bike