Other Resources The Political Joe » Corporate america and the 1st amendment Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-06-29 5:46 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: Corporate america and the 1st amendment
I was listening to Bill Maher podcast from last week and he had Alex Marlow, the head of Breitbart, on the show. They talked about something that I have not thought about before, specifically, the notion that corporate america holds sway over public discourse (ie, first amendment) by pulling funding from certain TV and radio shows. This is one of the things that went into the mix resulting in Bill O'Reilly being gone. I am as wary of corporate america as "big brother" as anyone, but is this corporate america being responsive to public opinion as a way to establish boundaries? What do you think?

2017-06-29 8:30 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Corporate america and the 1st amendment

Since when is it up to any entity except the Supreme Court to establish boundaries on constitutional issues?  What is "public opinion"?  By my way of thinking that's nothing more than the loudest voice, with no regard for what is actually protected or not under the constitution.

2017-06-29 9:54 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Our 1st Amendment rights grant us the right of free speech, it doesn't protect us from the consequences of that speech.

I think Bill O'Reilly was a bad example - he wasn't fired because of his views or speech, he was fired because of his actions.

2017-06-29 3:12 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by jmhpsu93I think Bill O'Reilly was a bad example - he wasn't fired because of his views or speech, he was fired because of his actions.

True, but corporate america pulled his funding (ad buys on Fox dropped significantly during his time slot) and this led to his ouster. My original question persists, are we cool with corporate america having this kind of sway over broadcasted speech? I haven't developed an opinion on this, I can see arguments on both sides, I'm just wondering where you guys stand.
2017-06-29 4:45 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Remember too some companies were going to pull advertising during Hannity and got a lot of backlash and from viewers say they were not please.

So it works both way. Companies try to exert their influence on society but it sometimes blows up in their face. How many millions in profit did Target flush down the toilet trying to politically correct and sensitive to people wanting to use the bathroom of the opposite sex.

I think for the most part corporations like to stay out of the political fray. Most companies don't care if you are white or black, straight or homosexual, male of female, conservative or liberal, American or Mexican.....most companies just want to sell their goods and/or services to anyone with money.

This is why I have always thought celebrities are idiots for speaking out politically. No matter what you say you are gonna pizz of half of your fans! People really don't care and don't want to know that you are a flaming liberal or gun-toting NRA member. So just shut up and act and keep your politics to yourself. You (actors) don't care what my political leanings are and I don't care what your are either you arrogant, elitist, bat rastard, motha......

Sorry, nearly lost my head.
2017-06-29 10:34 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio Remember too some companies were going to pull advertising during Hannity and got a lot of backlash and from viewers say they were not please. So it works both way. Companies try to exert their influence on society but it sometimes blows up in their face. How many millions in profit did Target flush down the toilet trying to politically correct and sensitive to people wanting to use the bathroom of the opposite sex. I think for the most part corporations like to stay out of the political fray. Most companies don't care if you are white or black, straight or homosexual, male of female, conservative or liberal, American or Mexican.....most companies just want to sell their goods and/or services to anyone with money. This is why I have always thought celebrities are idiots for speaking out politically. No matter what you say you are gonna pizz of half of your fans! People really don't care and don't want to know that you are a flaming liberal or gun-toting NRA member. So just shut up and act and keep your politics to yourself. You (actors) don't care what my political leanings are and I don't care what your are either you arrogant, elitist, bat rastard, motha...... Sorry, nearly lost my head.

No dude.....you were headed down the right road!

2017-06-30 6:55 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Like Mike said above, I think the VAST majority of corporate American doesn't want any part of politics for fear of pizzing off some part of their customer base.  In the case of someone like O'Reilly, I think the sponsors pull their ads as a result of public opinion, not because the sponsors are holding some sort of moral high ground and are silencing speech for political reasons.

2017-06-30 8:14 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by Oysterboy
Originally posted by jmhpsu93I think Bill O'Reilly was a bad example - he wasn't fired because of his views or speech, he was fired because of his actions.
True, but corporate america pulled his funding (ad buys on Fox dropped significantly during his time slot) and this led to his ouster. My original question persists, are we cool with corporate america having this kind of sway over broadcasted speech? I haven't developed an opinion on this, I can see arguments on both sides, I'm just wondering where you guys stand.

Corporate America is paying for a product, period.  At the point that the product ceases to be what they signed up for, they have every right to complain.  Why don't sponsors jump ship when Bill Maher makes racist comments or when Howard Stern says outrageous things?  Because its pretty much expected.

2017-06-30 11:43 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Like Mike said above, I think the VAST majority of corporate American doesn't want any part of politics for fear of pizzing off some part of their customer base.  In the case of someone like O'Reilly, I think the sponsors pull their ads as a result of public opinion, not because the sponsors are holding some sort of moral high ground and are silencing speech for political reasons.

Little bit of a side thought, but I saw RC Cola made some anti-Trump statements on social media a while back and rolled my eyes at how stupid they were.  Then I started watching it play out on social media and the right was mocking them for only having 1% market share in cola and the left was heralding them as heroic and brave and wanting to go buy their product.

I took a step back and now believe they were brilliant because they had such a low customer base already they elevated themselves with half the country through political statements.  Marketing is so goofy sometimes.   

2017-07-10 10:18 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
If the Corporation owns the equipment ect for the broadcast they make the decisions freedom of speech is not freedom to be listened too.
2017-07-11 8:17 AM
in reply to: CBarnes

User image

Champion
Alabama
As was pointed out in a different thread recently, freedom of speech restricts the government authority to silence your speech. We've seen recently a few news people get fired for their use of free speech.

I honestly don't care use the f-bomb or the n-word or makes ethnic jokes or homosexual joke....at least then you know who/what you're dealing with.

I have always found the power or words intriguing. We grew up with the lie, "Sticks and stone may break my bones but words will never hurt me". Nothing could be further from the truth! Nothing can hurt you and bad words can......especially words from a loved one.

Words are powerful. The Bible says, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Corporate america and the 1st amendment Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Free Speech in America

Started by tuwood
Views: 778 Posts: 13

2017-04-27 8:24 PM tuwood