General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training on vacation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-07-02 3:07 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: Training on vacation
My training is (finally) going great, better than ever. I train 6 or 7 times a week, eat well, starting to lose weight, it feels great....

In 10 days I am going on vacation with the family: a lot of sitting in the car, eating out, not much time for training. I am worried I am going to lose momentum, put the weight back on and won't be able to start again.

How do you handle this?

2017-07-02 6:32 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: Training on vacation
I try my best to incorporate some training into my vacation. Get up early and do a run. Recognize that walking is exercise too. Grab a swim if you can. Obviously, workouts might not be typical distance or time you have when at home but you should be able to get some time in your schedule for your training. As far as food... make good choices. (Yes, easier said than done).
2017-07-02 11:27 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thanks for your reply. I was thinking, I could up the volume in the week leading to my vacation and treat it as a recovery week (10 days). That way it's part of the "plan", I don't lose momentum and don't have to start all over again when I come back ( or not start again, as I fear). Going for a run in the morning before it gets too hot is a great idea. There will be swimming at least twice.
I'll have to be very careful what I eat/drink though, as I won't need so many calories.
2017-07-02 11:32 AM

User image

Elite

I just went through this same thing.  We were vacationing in Lake Tahoe so it was the perfect place to run and swim.  I just got up earlier than everyone and got out for my runs.  The days we were at the beach I played and lounged, but also brought my goggles, swim cap, etc. and did my swims as well.  It's doable, you just have to do it.  As for eating, I packed healthy options. It's kind of pain, but it was worth it.  I ate my usual breakfasts and lunches--but dinners out I was a bit looser--but nothing crazy.  I find that if I make 'deals' with myself on vacation I do much better.  For example--strict breakfast and lunch of the food I brought, and then enjoy a nice dinner.  I came back from vacation feeling good--I enjoyed everyday and didn't feel like I 'missed out' because I was so strict with my food pus I made the time to train.  The day after we got back I was right back to business.

2017-07-02 4:03 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Squeeze in an early morning run if you can a few times.  Running gear doesn't take up much space, so it's easy to pack it along on about any trip.  Same with swimming if you have access to a lake and are planning beach time at some point during the trip.

Meals, it's okay to live a little and enjoy some nice food on vacation, just try to avoid the junk calories in beverages and go with water as your meal drink whenever possible.  Cut a little here and there so that the calorie hit isn't quite so bad.

Expect to gain a couple pounds.  Hopefully not worse than that, but don't panic if it is.  When you get home, waste no time slipping back into the normal training routine.  If you haven't been running the whole time on vacatin, ease into it with some reduced mileage for the first week if you took more than a week off from the running.

Have fun!

2017-07-03 2:35 AM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I can do this!
Early morning runs will totally be possible most days and on the days I can't then, I'll eat less. This will be a "recovery" week, all part of the plan, I won't have to "start again" ok my return.

2017-07-03 12:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Been through this a few times since I lost a lot of weight and started swim and triathlon training 3 years ago. First time we went on vacation I was in a panic, worried I was going lose a substantial amount of fitness and put on a bunch of weight. Now I'm much more calm about it. I know I'll likely put on a few pounds and go backwards a bit, speed-wise. As long as I work in a 30-45 minute workout of some sort every 2-3 days, though, it only takes ~ a week of regular training and diet to fully recover. That first workout of any discipline you skipped entirely for the week will suck. You're going to feel like you've lost everything. By the second or third workout, however, it'll all be good.

Edited by gary p 2017-07-03 12:38 PM
2017-07-07 12:05 PM
in reply to: gary p

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thanks. I would hate to lose the fitness I've gained in the last few weeks but at the same time, I want to enjoy myself. Runs in the morning will be possible so I am aiming to at least do that.
2017-07-07 2:55 PM

Addendum to the OP's question...

I can usually slip in plenty of runs, rides, or swims once we're "there".
But, it's the travel that messes me. Losing a Saturday, basically.

Being that most plans out there are designed around intensity during the week and then long bike on Saturday and long swim/run on Sunday...

I find I'm ditching a shorter swim/run normally lined up on Friday for the longer swim/run set for Sunday. Then Satruday is travel, and Sunday I can get on a bike again.

I'm still taking Monday off. I'm basically going to lose several (3-6) Friday workouts over the course of 20 months. I'm not trying to make it up. But I am shifting some things about. And I'm never doing anything in between those longer workouts other than resting.

Is this dumb? Should I can either the long ride or long run that's set for the weekend and stay the course with the shorter workout? For me, I'm not a runner. I feel like I need to keep building mileage up there.

Especially after today's 10 miler that felt more like a fast hike than a run.

Edited by jhaack39 2017-07-07 3:02 PM
2017-07-07 7:22 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Sub training with being active and suddenly it is far more manageable and your options are wide open.

It's vacation, don't take "training too seriously.

Sleep in, relax, have fun, use it as a time to reset and hit the grind when you get back.

If you stay minimally active (60-90) minutes per day you won't lose much "fitness". And it will come back quick, 1-2 days quick.
2017-07-08 3:14 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bcagle25

Sub training with being active and suddenly it is far more manageable and your options are wide open.

It's vacation, don't take "training too seriously.

Sleep in, relax, have fun, use it as a time to reset and hit the grind when you get back.

If you stay minimally active (60-90) minutes per day you won't lose much "fitness". And it will come back quick, 1-2 days quick.

Haha, good one! sorry, I shouldn't laugh, I am not laughing at you, I don't log my training here so you can't know but 60 to 90 minutes a day is what I do normally ( a bit more this week that I am off from work)
So I guess, 30 to 45 minutes a day on vacation would be what I need. Then no problems at all!

2017-07-08 3:17 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jhaack39

Addendum to the OP's question...

I can usually slip in plenty of runs, rides, or swims once we're "there".
But, it's the travel that messes me. Losing a Saturday, basically.

Being that most plans out there are designed around intensity during the week and then long bike on Saturday and long swim/run on Sunday...

I find I'm ditching a shorter swim/run normally lined up on Friday for the longer swim/run set for Sunday. Then Satruday is travel, and Sunday I can get on a bike again.

I'm still taking Monday off. I'm basically going to lose several (3-6) Friday workouts over the course of 20 months. I'm not trying to make it up. But I am shifting some things about. And I'm never doing anything in between those longer workouts other than resting.

Is this dumb? Should I can either the long ride or long run that's set for the weekend and stay the course with the shorter workout? For me, I'm not a runner. I feel like I need to keep building mileage up there.

Especially after today's 10 miler that felt more like a fast hike than a run.

In your situation, I would just move my day off to the Saturday, travel day, and shift everything around a bit.

2017-07-08 4:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
First congrats on your weight loss and consistent training!

I pack food to inoculate myself from snacks in the car and fast food stops. I always carry almonds, toasted soy nuts, Quest bars, apples, cheese sticks, low sugar yogurts, prepackaged muscle milk drinks, hard boiled eggs from hotel breakfast bar. Yeah it's a bit crazy, but I don't trust myself around food, so this helps me.

Would like to hear how you managed the workouts. This is something I've not done well.

Ultimately enjoy the vacation and your family!

Mitzi

Edited by MuscleMomma 2017-07-08 4:37 PM
2017-07-08 4:57 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thanks for the tips Mitzi, great idea to pack some snacks of my own to avoid temptation.
2017-07-23 6:04 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
I am back! It went well! I managed a short run every day, swam 3 times and went hiking once. Was careful with food during the day and indulged in the evenings.
Lost a pound the first 5 days and put it back on again later so I weigh the same as when I left.
Went for a 20k ride directly this morning to get back into it straightaway and not lose momentum with my training. Planning a swim this afternoon.

Thanks for the advice guys, it helped a lot!
2017-07-23 7:06 AM
in reply to: #5223520

User image

Well done Rollergirl!

I was on vacation around the same time and I read your OP which helped me to plan my vacation without losing much fitness. I ran several mornings and did some short ocean swims but mostly I just stayed very active during the vacation with my kids.

TBH, the most challenging part for me was the diet...boardwalk food is so tempting...

Thanks for starting this thread...I suspect it helped a bunch of people manage their fitness while vacationing...it definitely helped me.

-john

2017-07-23 8:02 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Great! I am glad my thread helped you too!

Edited by Rollergirl 2017-07-23 8:05 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training on vacation Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Injured while training for 70.3 - training advice?

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 2098 Posts: 4

2016-12-11 8:59 PM alicefoeller

has anyone use triathlon geek training plans

Started by thecouch
Views: 2110 Posts: 2

2017-05-01 10:33 PM krackers73

Plantar warts interfering with run training

Started by nelson24
Views: 4642 Posts: 6

2017-03-23 5:05 AM bigbag

Returning to training after Spinal Fusion L5 S1 Pages: 1 2