General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sea swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-07-02 9:47 AM

Subject: Sea swimming
Hello,
Can anyone recommend good places in the south east to sea swim? Maybe a stupid question but can you go to any beach and swim with a wetsuit? I'm a competent pool swimmer but need experience of open water sea swimming for an event.

Thanks in advance.

2017-07-02 3:27 PM
in reply to: Johnnyk1982

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Sea swimming
Not from that area of the country (Oregon is home when not in Vietnam, lived in Hawaii for a few years) but in general, no, you shouldn't just swim at any random beach, at least without first talking with someone familiar with the conditions. I generally try to find a swimmer, surfer, or (ideally) lifeguard to check about currents, tides, animal life, etc. and any other possible hazards. Some things you want to be aware of might include what time the tide comes in and out, if there are riptides, shore break (may be higher at some times of the day or some areas of the beach than others),underwater hazards like rocks or reef, if there is a safer place to get in/out of the water (this can matter with riptides and high breaks), and where the safest area of the beach for swimming is. If at all possible, I try to swim where/when others are swimming and there are lifeguards on duty. I personally would not swim in the ocean without at least one of those going on, and preferably both.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sea swimming Rss Feed