General Discussion Race Reports! » Red, White & Boom TC Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Red, White & Boom TC Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Minneapolis, Minnesota
United States
Twin Cities in Motion
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 25m 20s
Overall Rank = 819/1195
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 108/158
Pre-race routine:

*Overall female only*

I was apprehensive about this due to my lack of distance training. I ran a 10 miler at the end of April that caused a bout of plantar fasciitis. I took some time off, and kept the mileage VERY low. About 4 weeks before this race I started on a 4-week half marathon plan, figuring if my pain increased I'd give up on the idea. It never got worse and in the last few weeks it was a lot better. I did a 9-miler, 9 days out, which was HARD. I was seriously thinking this half marathon wasn't going to happen. But I decided to rest as much as possible after that only running my 1-mile/day with just one 3 miler in the mix.

I tried to hydrate well the day before, and rest my feet, knowing that race day would be challenging due to my lack of preparation. On race morning I drove downtown WAY too early, but the parking situation was good and it's not like the extra 15 mins of sleep would have really mattered. I drank a smallish bottle of Crystal Light with caffeine (instead of coffee) which I think was good because it was a bit more water. I also had a gel at 6:15 with a cup of water. I was so darn organized :)
Run
  • 2h 25m 20s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Started behind the 2:20 pacer and kept her in sight until about mile 3. There were a few rolling hills in the first half and I wanted to walk when I felt like it. The course was really nice with good running surface almost the entire way. I ran on top of the curve pretty much the whole time. I felt fine at the halfway mark, so I let go of my idea that I could get a ride with the relay folks if the situation was really bad. At this point the course was a gradual downhill, which was SO GREAT. I definitely slowed in the last miles due to fatigue and a bit of a headwind. I felt pretty good otherwise. I noted that my feet were getting sore around mile 11. This was a lot later than I feared - big win for the Hokas and Spenco inserts. So nice and cushy. The last couple miles were pretty desperate looking for many, but I kept on chugging. I took a few short walking breaks on the tiniest of hills, but otherwise just kept running. I was so proud of myself and my attitude! I had a gel around :50 and 1:40, plus PowerAde at all stations. This is a good formula for me. Oh and the Aleve with my morning protein shake :)

When I crossed the line was I POOPED. The medical lady rushed over and said "Are you ok?" I know my normal face always looks a bit pained, so post-race Emily looks pretty bad. This has happened to me more - LOL.
What would you do differently?:

I really wanted to go into this race after a few great months of 13-15 mile runs, planning to build off the spring races. I am just glad I managed to get through the worst of the PF and finish what I started. This is not my worst half marathon - so there's that. Crazy. Even though it's very far from my PR (almost 20 mins) this was a "good" run for me based on the circumstances.
Post race
Event comments:

TCM does a great job, always! If you don't mind the chance of extreme heat and humidity for a half marathon, it's a pretty good race.

Last updated: 2016-10-31 12:00 AM
Running
02:25:20 | 13.1 miles | 11m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 108/158
Overall: 819/1195
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2017-07-05 11:15 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Red, White & Boom TC Half Marathon

2017-07-06 10:55 AM
in reply to: #5223716

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Red, White & Boom TC Half Marathon
Sounds like a good race for you, congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Red, White & Boom TC Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

White Lake Fall Half

Started by JayTee3
Views: 741 Posts: 1

2017-04-07 2:33 PM JayTee3

Valentine's Day TC 5K

Started by BikerGrrrl
Views: 876 Posts: 1

2017-03-21 4:18 PM BikerGrrrl

Lake Waconia Half Marathon and 10 Mile

Started by BikerGrrrl
Views: 1073 Posts: 1