Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Wedding Bands Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2017-07-10 11:10 AM

Regular
Tempe, AZ
Subject: Wedding Bands
My fiance and I are starting to look at wedding bands and I have been doing some research on the best band to get for active people. Seems like tungston is a good choice. I dont intend to swim with it on, but i am sure I will keep it on for biking, running, and weight lifting.

Curious to see what types of wedding bands the men in this forum have and what they have found to work well with an active lifestyle.

2017-07-10 11:39 AM
in reply to: amills1210

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Wedding Bands

I have a tattoo instead of a ring. It has my wedding date on my finger.

2017-07-10 1:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

I'm not a man but I'll offer my 2 cents just the same.  As an active female whose wedding band is just a bit big, I spent a lot of years wearing no ring rather than lose it by wearing it during exercise (mainly swimming) or lose it because of constantly taking it on and off between exercising.  Last year I bought a silicone ring from Qalo that I wear all the time now including during sports and exercise.  Worst case scenario, I lose a $25 ring that doesn't carry the same sentimental tones of my gold band which I still wear for occasions.  I like not having to worry about messing up or losing my actual wedding band but still showing my commitment. 

ETA: would weight lifting potentially scuff or scratch the metal band you intend to get?

Edited by melbo55 2017-07-10 1:56 PM
2017-07-10 3:06 PM

User image

I would get a cheap one unless you are really into rings I guess. I have a platinum one and it doesn't fit well. Every time I get back in shape it gets loose and falls off easily. Especially in water. I've had it resized twice which wasn't cheap. If I could do it all over I'd buy a cool looking cheaper one. Google the term "degloved" and cycling, you'll never wear it riding ! Good luck with the pending nuptials
2017-07-10 3:06 PM
in reply to: melbo55

Regular
Tempe, AZ
Good question re the band. I am going shopping in the next couple of weeks with the SO to get an idea of whats out there but I thought I would start here with a baseline of materials to focus on. I will make sure to ask.
2017-07-10 3:25 PM

User image

Pro

Tungston or Titanium rings are both good for opening beer bottles. 

2017-07-10 4:36 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

While many people never take their rings off, others rarely wear them.  

I lost my first wedding band because I took it off (my hands would swell) while we walked around during a hot, midwest vacation.  

I didn't wear it exercising, nor camping, nor doing manual labor (too much first-aid of degloved fingers).  

Looking at rings (2nd marriage) now.  Like the look of one particular ceramic ring, but again, won't wear it working or working out.  

Precious metal rings (gold, silver, platinum) can be re-sized.  10K tends to hold it's shape better than 14K or 18K but may be more prone to discoloration.  

Newer materials (tungsten, titanium, ceramic) are generally very strong one way or another.  Keep in mind, these rings cannot be resized.  If you grow or shrink, you have to replace it.  

2017-07-10 5:44 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Pro
Tejas
Congrats!

I lost my wedding ring on an open water swim in Mexico. I took off my ring and handed it to my wife so I wouldn't worry about losing it. Half hour later I return and I see my wife and about 40 people crowded together in knee deep water. I pop up and she goes, " Oh sh**, he's back. Mike we have a small problem." Apparently she's standing in the water and waved her hand at someone and off it went. She offered the whole beach $200 for the person who found it. No such luck. So yeah, like JFord said, get a tat!
2017-07-11 7:35 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I have a tungsten band that I wear all the time, except when swimming. It does have a little "patina of use", but like us, it's been through a lot.

Going to a mainstream jewelry store, and then seeing pricing online (for the same thing!) was quite the shock. Sure, tungsten bands aren't that expensive compared to 14K gold and high quality diamonds, but it was still on the order of an 80% difference. Mine is very similar to this one, which cost about $35 at the time, if I remember right. The same thing at a Weisfields or Jared was in the neighborhood of $150-180.

2017-07-11 10:06 AM

User image

Also, I'm not good at remembering dates so I had our wedding date enscribed on the inside of my ring
2017-07-14 9:25 PM

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon
My husbands band is currently being stored by an anemone near the Captain Cook statue in Kealakekua Bay. Came right off and he didn't even notice. You could go there and have a look 'round. It's gold with channel set diamonds. I'm sure you'd find several others to choose from as our guide that day found a man's ring and he really liked it.

I'm not sure there's a point I'm making except maybe make sure your ring fits, or don't spend too much on it, or keep your eyes open when you're snorkeling, or maybe even a wedding band isn't necessary to stay married.

2017-07-18 2:54 PM
in reply to: ell-in-or

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by ell-in-or My husbands band is currently being stored by an anemone near the Captain Cook statue in Kealakekua Bay. Came right off and he didn't even notice. You could go there and have a look 'round. It's gold with channel set diamonds. I'm sure you'd find several others to choose from as our guide that day found a man's ring and he really liked it. I'm not sure there's a point I'm making except maybe make sure your ring fits, or don't spend too much on it, or keep your eyes open when you're snorkeling, or maybe even a wedding band isn't necessary to stay married.

Oh dear, I'm glad you have a sense of humor about it! 

We never wear our rings doing much of anything.  I have a travel ring that I use.   The real wedding jewelry is for work and dress up.

I don't recommend white gold.  While cheap and pretty, the white fades easily and requires a lot of maintenance.

2017-07-25 3:08 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

Originally posted by ell-in-or My husbands band is currently being stored by an anemone near the Captain Cook statue in Kealakekua Bay. Came right off and he didn't even notice. You could go there and have a look 'round. It's gold with channel set diamonds. I'm sure you'd find several others to choose from as our guide that day found a man's ring and he really liked it. I'm not sure there's a point I'm making except maybe make sure your ring fits, or don't spend too much on it, or keep your eyes open when you're snorkeling, or maybe even a wedding band isn't necessary to stay married.

Oh dear, I'm glad you have a sense of humor about it! 

We never wear our rings doing much of anything.  I have a travel ring that I use.   The real wedding jewelry is for work and dress up.

I don't recommend white gold.  While cheap and pretty, the white fades easily and requires a lot of maintenance.

First ring I was open water swim training and forgot to leave it home or take it off and on one stroke I saw it in slow motion fly in front of me and sink on down to the bottom. Second ring much cheaper and don't wear it much at all from April to September so I don't have a repeat performance.
2017-11-12 7:54 AM

User image

New user
East Tennessee
I recommend something that can be cut off reasonably easy in the ER if you get injured. Tungsten and stainless are not easy to remove. Gold, silver, silicone are. Several jewelery stores have warranties that cover sizing, damage, etc. for gold rings.
2017-11-12 3:14 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

I prefer my band made from invisium.  It never gets in the way when I am physically active. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Wedding Bands Rss Feed