General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calling All Nose Clip Swimmers! How do you keep it on? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-07-11 3:43 PM

User image

Connecticut
Subject: Calling All Nose Clip Swimmers! How do you keep it on?
I'm no swimmer and I use a nose plug right now, I decided to do a race this weekend and I'm not ready to strip off the plug yet.

So far in my two races this year I've had one where I had no issue keeping the plug on, stay tight the whole time. And one where it fell off around the 1/2 way point.

I'm doing sprints so it's not a huge deal but I'd like to make sure it stays on the entire time. Any tips? I have two different kinds:

I have this style https://www.amazon.com/Speedo-753101-Charcoal-1SZ-Parent-Competition... and I've used this one in both races this year https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/speedo-liquid-comfort-nose-clip-42701/

I know there aren't many plug swimmers out there, but let me know if you have any tips!

Thanks.

2017-07-11 3:49 PM
in reply to: kmonie360

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Calling All Nose Clip Swimmers! How do you keep it on?

I always used one that was more rubbery in texture and had a loop that went around my head.  I like this because it never broke and I could hang it around my neck before the race.

Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Speedo-Rubber-Nose-Clip-Strap/dp/B00LZCLHJ0/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1499806175&sr=8-18&keywords=speedo+nose+clip

2017-07-12 10:40 AM

User image

Make sure the clip is clean and try to get as much of the natural body oil off of your nose before putting the clip on. Better stick that way. And good luck with your race!
2017-07-12 1:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
I do not use a clip, so no helpful experience....

I had a thought about the issue, tho... Are there any mask-type goggles that might work for you? I have seen some that are not 'that' much bigger than regular goggles, but look to include a covering of the nose. Would that help to prevent water up the nose?

2017-07-12 10:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
The one from swim outlet is fine. Lots of backstrokers use them...
2017-07-13 8:31 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by kmonie360

I'm no swimmer and I use a nose plug right now, I decided to do a race this weekend and I'm not ready to strip off the plug yet.

So far in my two races this year I've had one where I had no issue keeping the plug on, stay tight the whole time. And one where it fell off around the 1/2 way point.

I'm doing sprints so it's not a huge deal but I'd like to make sure it stays on the entire time. Any tips? I have two different kinds:

I have this style https://www.amazon.com/Speedo-753101-Charcoal-1SZ-Parent-Competition... and I've used this one in both races this year https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/speedo-liquid-comfort-nose-clip-42701/

I know there aren't many plug swimmers out there, but let me know if you have any tips!

Thanks.

I'm truly not trying to be an A$$ as I say this.  Why don't you just learn how to NOT need a nose clip?

A trait shared by the vast majority of adult onset swimmers is that, for whatever reason, they overlooked or failed to master the fundamentals when they learned how to swim.  One of the very first things taught in a beginner swimming class is how to put your face in the water and blow bubbles.  

We humans are land animals.  An aquatic environment is foreign to us.  Learning to blow bubbles is at the foundation of learning to breathe in an aquatic environment.  It needs to become second nature that every moment your face is in the water you are exhaling through your nose.  When you master that skill, you will no longer need a nose clip.

Never mind that you'll likely also improve your stroke technique as many technique issues go directly back to improper breathing caused by not exhaling properly underwater.

My vote is ditch the nose clip, learn to breathe properly, and improve your overall swimming.

2017-07-16 3:25 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Hum on the exhale underwater. That is how I learned to breath out during the exhale. It worked for me.
2017-07-17 9:34 AM
in reply to: maureen

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Nose clip - For those with recurring sinus pain / infections
2017-07-17 4:58 PM
in reply to: k9car363

So are you saying that if you exhale out of your nose you'll have less chance of getting water up your nose? I started wearing a nose clip (like the second one he linked) for OWS because I was getting sinus infections. Unfortunately, that clip didn't stay on in my last race - luckily Im used to swimming more without one than with one, so it was no biggie.
2017-07-17 7:55 PM
in reply to: cdoug55

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by cdoug55 So are you saying that if you exhale out of your nose you'll have less chance of getting water up your nose? I started wearing a nose clip (like the second one he linked) for OWS because I was getting sinus infections. Unfortunately, that clip didn't stay on in my last race - luckily Im used to swimming more without one than with one, so it was no biggie.

Not less chance- virtually no chance.  If you are exhaling through your nose when your face is in the water you will have positive pressure in your nose, therefore no water will enter.

Have you ever watched Olympic diving (or any diving at the national or international level)?  They regularly go 12-15 feet deep off the 10-meter platform.  Yet they get no water in their noses - and I've never seen an Olympic diver with a nose clip on.  Swimmers regularly are on their backs underwater - think flip turn coming off the wall, yet they don't get water in their noses and again, you don't see swimmers with nose clips on - certainly not at the national or international level.  The thing they all have in common is they learned the fundamentals when they learned how to swim and they are exhaling through their noses whenever their face is in the water.

2021-09-15 8:54 AM

I know I'm late but...
Been swimming for a few years (not as a triathlete, club swimmer ) I use a nose clip. Takes people off guard sometimes since I'm not a backstroker. But I have nasal issues that make the chorine really bother me. So i practice and race with a clip. I use the TYR ergo clips. Here's a few tips I've picked up on the way.
1. Wear the clip around one of your fingers if it's not on your nose or in your bag. Clips are super easy to loose. Make this a habit!
2. Always warm up with the clip. When water is first introduced to the body, all the oils come out. This means your first minute or so in the water your clip is very prone to falling off. Warm up just before your race. Rub your nose, get the clip sticking. You'll get a feel for it.
3. Know your nose! It's much better to have to swim a race without the clip because you knew it wouldn't stick then to swim without because it fell off. Loosing a noseclip in a race is a pain get used to how it feels so you're not guessing. After swimming long distance events without it, trust me. You'll be much happier with a stuffy nose than lost 8$ for some other swimmer to find.
4. Use a colorful clip. If all else goes wrong, make sure your clip is easy to find when it's lost. I have clear ones I use for practice that I know I won't loose (cause its practice) but in a race or off the blocks, I have a bright redish pinkish clip that you can't not notice.

Hope this helps someone!

2021-09-15 3:52 PM
in reply to: AndrewRodman

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
"Wear the clip around one of your fingers if it's not on your nose or in your bag. Clips are super easy to loose. Make this a habit!"

I actually tuck a second one in the leg of my wetsuit (shortie) for longer races in case of emergency or fellow triathlete kick in the face.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calling All Nose Clip Swimmers! How do you keep it on? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swimmers shoulder - technique advice

Started by zedzded
Views: 2020 Posts: 11

2016-10-24 2:57 AM zedzded

How long to become a basic swimmer

Started by charlie_can
Views: 3024 Posts: 17

2016-10-29 8:52 PM zombie2212

Swim Panic but experienced swimmer

Started by dramaqueenjs
Views: 2668 Posts: 16