General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for tri and distance races Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-07-18 8:52 AM

Subject: Training for tri and distance races
Has anyone used the Essential Week-by-Week Training Guide by Matt Fitzgerald? I'm doing the level 4 12-week training plan for a sprint and think the biking seems really low (my first week I'm only biking 2 x 45 min - when I finished my last training plan two weeks ago I was biking 2 x 2 hrs) - especially since I want to do a couple of distance bike races in August and October. I'm obviously not an expert but am wondering if it'll seriously hurt anything if I bump up the biking some. Or is there anything else I should think about when training for both?

2017-07-18 10:15 AM
in reply to: Trine

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Training for tri and distance races

What you're running into are the assumptions made for a canned plan. In this case it's where people are starting off at the beginning of it, you've been doing more. You're probably fine continuing to do more cycling, just watch that you're not exhausted for the run & swim sessions. You'll get a better feel over the next few weeks working your way through.

2017-07-18 10:55 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
As above - I like the book, but am a beginner swimmer so don't follow the swim workouts and find the bike to easy too. It is very helpful for the run which I need to build up and I like the structured distance, speed etc workouts. It does assume you are starting at the same level in all three parts. Still like the levels.
I've spent too many hours calculating what I'd have to do to get in shape for the higher levels or in the longer distances...
2017-07-19 12:16 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by brigby1

What you're running into are the assumptions made for a canned plan. In this case it's where people are starting off at the beginning of it, you've been doing more. You're probably fine continuing to do more cycling, just watch that you're not exhausted for the run & swim sessions. You'll get a better feel over the next few weeks working your way through.

I agree with Ben.  If you need to deviate significantly from the plan to train at an appropriate level for you, it's an indication that it's not the optimum plan for you.

2017-07-19 12:38 PM
in reply to: 0

The first 2-4 weeks of the plans I've done almost always feature less volume than I typically do in a week.

By week 10, I'm asleep by 8:30. Not by choice.

This time around, I'm paying far greater adherence to intensity...and actually running the sprints, swimming the sets, finding the hills.

I was tired at week 3.

I'm going to need lots of prayers by mid August. I'll have to ask Facebook for those.

Edited by jhaack39 2017-07-19 12:39 PM
2017-07-19 2:13 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

I agree with Ben.  If you need to deviate significantly from the plan to train at an appropriate level for you, it's an indication that it's not the optimum plan for you.

Well, the swim is perfect since it gives me a chance to really work on freestyle (so don't want to swim breaststroke at my next event) and the run too... I don't like to run and this is a more gradual increase in time, so I think it will be really good for me. It's really only the bike portion that seems short. Also because it's my favorite part

2017-07-19 2:14 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

Originally posted by jhaack39

The first 2-4 weeks of the plans I've done almost always feature less volume than I typically do in a week.

By week 10, I'm asleep by 8:30. Not by choice.

This time around, I'm paying far greater adherence to intensity...and actually running the sprints, swimming the sets, finding the hills.

I was tired at week 3.

I'm going to need lots of prayers by mid August. I'll have to ask Facebook for those.

I'm not the praying kind, but I'll send good vibes your way

You're like my husband - he doesn't follow the drills/sprints, etc. either. I'm the opposite - I always read and follow instructions. That's why I'm so good at putting together Ikea furniture.
2017-07-19 3:00 PM

User image

Regular
Interested here as I am planning to do a sprint in September and HM in October. Not sure how to train for both, but thinking of doing a swim/bike training plan for Oly and overlay an HIM run plan.
2017-07-19 3:23 PM
in reply to: hessma

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by hessma Interested here as I am planning to do a sprint in September and HM in October. Not sure how to train for both, but thinking of doing a swim/bike training plan for Oly and overlay an HIM run plan.

This can get into looking at how advanced the plan is too as they can differ significantly even when geared toward the same distance. A more advanced one may have more volume in it already. An Oly run is paced more similar to an HIM and if it has decent volume could very well be the better one to follow.

Date separation is unclear since only months were listed, which could mean the events are about a week apart to near 2 months apart (8 weeks). The latter is plenty of time to extend the longer runs of a solid Oly plan up to that of a stand alone HM as you may already be doing 8-10 miles there.

Also note that while an Oly plan may serve you quite well, it may not optimize as much as a sprint one as the intensity is a little less and for a longer time. That, again, depends on the quality of the plan. A number of more basic ones may just simply add some more volume and call it a day. So here it's understanding if the plan leans more towards getting through the day or really getting after it.

2017-07-19 3:25 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Trine

Well, the swim is perfect since it gives me a chance to really work on freestyle (so don't want to swim breaststroke at my next event) and the run too... I don't like to run and this is a more gradual increase in time, so I think it will be really good for me. It's really only the bike portion that seems short. Also because it's my favorite part

How does the plan look over time? Does the bike catch up to expectations? Curious what the bike events are too. Said race at first, but wondering if it's more of an event.

2017-07-19 3:50 PM

How does the plan look over time? Does the bike catch up to expectations? Curious what the bike events are too. Said race at first, but wondering if it's more of an event.

I think after 12 weeks I end up with maybe a 2 hr bike x 2 per week. I need to double check that - there are plenty of interval training, so that will be good.

As for the distance rides - they're not races, they're events .. newbie mistake here Am thinking the Shorefire Century (Delaware) doing 35 miles at the end of August and then 64 miles at the Carolina Century at the end of October. I can easily do 28 miles right now on my hybrid, so this will give me some time to get used to my new road bike.

2017-07-20 8:06 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Trine
Originally posted by brigby1 How does the plan look over time? Does the bike catch up to expectations? Curious what the bike events are too. Said race at first, but wondering if it's more of an event.
I think after 12 weeks I end up with maybe a 2 hr bike x 2 per week. I need to double check that - there are plenty of interval training, so that will be good. As for the distance rides - they're not races, they're events .. newbie mistake here Am thinking the Shorefire Century (Delaware) doing 35 miles at the end of August and then 64 miles at the Carolina Century at the end of October. I can easily do 28 miles right now on my hybrid, so this will give me some time to get used to my new road bike.

Well, depending on who you ride with it could turn into a race. This happened every time with a couple guys I used to ride with. Always ready to drop at the end regardless of how far it was. Even solo it can be fun to go burning around the route.

The intervals will be helpful both in improving fitness and for hills. I've done well on hillier rides coming from rather flat terrain because of that.

Being able to ride well for 2 hours regularly will help to make the longer one too. Something nice about the bike is that it's possible to go farther than in training, usually several times as far as what's normal. Though more riding is most definitely helpful. I like to bike too, so riding less isn't really a comprehensible thought.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for tri and distance races Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Oly distance tri on a mountain bike?

Started by robertChiefsFan
Views: 729 Posts: 10

2017-06-14 4:19 PM marysia83

apparel for cold water tri (sprint distance)

Started by urge4vert
Views: 1234 Posts: 7

2017-05-22 10:42 AM urge4vert

Personal Lube - Novice Distance Tri

Started by TonyMax
Views: 821 Posts: 7

2016-11-04 7:22 AM TriMyBest

Beginner Advice on Tri Distance (swim)

Started by mdsfx
Views: 2505 Posts: 19

2017-07-12 5:09 PM marysia83

Donating Blood and coordinating with racing and training