NO
19.6C / 67F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 47m 8s
Overall Rank = 24/35
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 9/10
Pre-race routine:

Quck gear check, and then loaded family and gear up in the car and drove to the race. I took the RO's plan seriously, and we were the first ones there...by 30 min! :) Checked in and had bike check, got my number and timing chip, and set up my transition area. Relaxed as much as I could...the extra time flew by!
Event warmup:

Stretched quite a bit, and did a warm-up swim. This helped immensely by letting my face get used to the water temp. Was surprisingly loose and relaxed with the start gun sounded...
Swim
  • 35m 32s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

My first real triathlon swim, so I can't really complain too much. I felt really good on the first round of 750m, and was more or less at the back of the pack. I was even ahead of a few people :) Lost momentum in the secound round; can't really describe the feeling. I wasn't gassed or anything, but I just didn't have any energy for it. Goggles fogged up, and my right ear filled up and I started to get a little disoriented towards the end. One of the kayaks even offered to "guide" me in during the last 300m, as I was doing a heck of a job zig-zagging...

Positives: I did it and I didn't freak out. Swam freestyle the whole way. Did not need an "emergency stroke", etc. Beatiful day, sun was out, and we were racing :)

Negatives: I'm slow! 2:37/100m was not a surprise for me, but when I "gave" 10+ mins to everyone in my AG on the swim, I realize I need to train more (and smarter). My right ear filling up bugged me for the rest of the race...I didn't like that at all. Foggy goggles suck.
What would you do differently?:

Train more. I'd like to get down to 2:00/100m by next year's tri season. I think that's doable now that I'm more aware of what I need. More OWSs as well. I need to get more comfortable out there...still not there yet.
Transition 1
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

Quite chuffed with my first ever T1 :) Suit got a little stuck on the heels but tips from the forum helped there. I was a little wobly, so getting on my socks was probably where I lost some time.

Keep practicing transitions. Doing mini-bricks, and rehearsals help a lot.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 40s
  • 40 kms
  • 31.72 km/hr
Comments:

Good ride overall. This was draft-legal and no tri-bikes. I think this was a bit interesting for some of the racers. Lead group worked well together and they blew the field apart. I tried to work with a couple of different people and was finally able to link up with someone towards the end of the ride, where we were taking relatively equal pulls on the front.

For me personally, the bike leg was my "best" leg of the race. I rode hard, but felt pretty good throughout. I needed a little time at the beginning to warm up, but it didn't take too long.

More swim-to-bike bricks, and just keep training. I think the bike will be my strong suit going forward.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

T2 went pretty good. No issues getting my running shoes on and tied up. Forgot to sip some water, but got lucky that the first water station on the run the course wasn't too far after transition.

More mini-bricks. I thought T2 went pretty good, but it could always be faster!
Run
  • 52m 30s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 15s  min/km
Comments:

Great course! Loved that we got off the road pretty quickly and were in the trees for the most part. The "skogen" in Finnskogen stands for "forest" so it would've been a shame to have not run in the forest ;) I got passed by one of the really fast guys, and passed a few other. Other than that I was on my own. Started to cramp in both legs at about 8,5km mark, so I had to back off just a little, but was able to come in strong at the end.

One odd note. As mentioned I was only passed by one fast guy, but my ranking dropped significantly from bike to run. I'm not sure how that works...

More focused bricks. The first 1km my legs felt like jelly. Keep running. I think a sub-50 should be no problem for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched a little. Walked around, drank a coke. Bathed in the lake (very refreshing!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hands down, the swim. I "gave away" 10+ minutes to the MOP guys, but our bike and run splits weren't too far apart. Need to swim more!! :)

Event comments:

A small but really well organized race, and I really do believe I coudn't have picked a better first race! The oly and sprint races combined there were only about 80 racers, so I never felt crowded or cramped. This was a real benefit on the swim, as I was only "swam over" one time. The finishers medal was made out of wood with the race logo branded on it. Very cool touch :)

Last updated: 2017-03-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:32 | 1500 meters | 02m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/10
Overall: 34/35
Performance: Below average
Suit: Zoot Force 3.0
Course: Triangular buoy setup, counter-clockwise/right-hand turns. 750m course, swam twice. Headwind going out to the first buoy
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 20C / 67F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:26
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:15:40 | 40 kms | 31.72 km/hr
Age Group: 7/10
Overall: 16/35
Performance: Good
HR steadily built up throughout the ride, but nothing significant.
Wind: Little
Course: 5km out-n-back course, ridden 4 times total. Rolling terrain...not hilly, but def not flat :)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:30 | 10 kms | 05m 15s  min/km
Age Group: 9/10
Overall: 24/35
Performance: Average
HR continued to build up as expected. No real surprises there.
Course: 5km course, ran twice: About 1km asphalt and the rest was trails and dirt/gravel roads. Course was marked very well; no confusion at all. Very "bumpy" course. On the second round, my legs really felt that second "summit".
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes