General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Roof Bike Rack Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-07-24 10:00 AM

Subject: Roof Bike Rack
Alright, now it looks like the husband might get his tt bike sooner rather than later, so we need to transport it. Can't put a hitch on his company car, so I'm starting to research roof bike racks (for a Subaru Outback, if it matters).

Anything in particular I should look out for? Also, I see that with some you need to remove the front wheel (not great as we can't fit it in the car with the camping gear) and others you don't. Why?

Thank you!!!

2017-07-24 11:38 AM
in reply to: Trine

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: Roof Bike Rack
2017-07-24 12:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I'll second the Sea Sucker bike rack!  I've been using mine for years now with no issues....including plenty of 4+ hour road trips at 80+ mph

I do have the Talon, not that Hornet, but I'm sure the Hornet works just as well.  Mine's on a Subaru BRZ....the Talon may be more difficult on the Outback simply because of the height of the roof and window, so the Hornet would probably work well. 

2017-07-24 12:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I got the Thule/Subaru fork-mount carrier, can't complain about it. I got the optional front wheel mount as well, but haven't had to use it yet so I can't comment on that.

One tip I'll share about using a roof top carrier is this: Keep a roll of painter's tap handy for masking up the largest forward-facing surfaces of the bike. I put some on the forks, head tube, base bars, stem face, down tube/bottom bracket, seat post, front brake caliper, brake levers, and leading edge of the seat. Takes a few minutes before you depart to tape up, and a minute or so at your destination to peel off, but it saves your bike from most of the bug splatters it would otherwise suffer.

Edited by gary p 2017-07-24 12:21 PM
2017-07-24 12:52 PM
in reply to: gary p

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by gary p

One tip I'll share about using a roof top carrier is this: Keep a roll of painter's tap handy for masking up the largest forward-facing surfaces of the bike. I put some on the forks, head tube, base bars, stem face, down tube/bottom bracket, seat post, front brake caliper, brake levers, and leading edge of the seat. Takes a few minutes before you depart to tape up, and a minute or so at your destination to peel off, but it saves your bike from most of the bug splatters it would otherwise suffer.

I also have a Thule fork mount roof rack and love it. In addition to your advice above I would add that if you recently cleaned off your chain, cassette and hubs and re-lubricated them just be sure you did a good job of cleanup. Otherwise you might get some drips on your car......
2017-07-24 5:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
I have no recs for a rack, but just want to suggest that, if you have not used a roof rack before, you do SOMETHING that constantly reminds you of the presence of the bike while it is on the roof. I have read many reports of people forgetting the bike was up there and they crashed it into the garage wall, or drive-thru roof, or ...

2017-07-25 8:09 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

Originally posted by triosaurus

I have no recs for a rack, but just want to suggest that, if you have not used a roof rack before, you do SOMETHING that constantly reminds you of the presence of the bike while it is on the roof. I have read many reports of people forgetting the bike was up there and they crashed it into the garage wall, or drive-thru roof, or ...

I know - it's our biggest worry. We actually found a Thule trunk rack with a platform ( https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-rack/trunk-bike-racks/thule-race... ) but it just says to check back later regarding fit for our car
2017-07-25 9:00 AM

User image

Exton, PA
You can also put a hitch on your car which then allows you to use one of many hitch mount racks.

I never liked the roof racks because of the lifting up and down and the danger of hitting them going under a bridge, parking garage, garage, low hanging branches,....
2017-07-25 9:54 AM
in reply to: mike761

Master
Northern IL

Might not work, but in case it hasn't been tried, I have managed to fit my bikes across the rear seat area (seat still up & in position) in the smaller Impreza. One has fit well by removing the wheels and technically sits more across the footwell area of the rear seating space. A second has been trickier to do and takes dropping the seatpost and maybe rotating handlebars. My bikes aren't really small though with road stuff usually about a size 58 and mountain bikes going between 19.5-21.5". I've still had room for camping gear, but didn't have a dog, kids, or others to fit in too.

I never liked having the bikes so exposed, and with the smaller car they didn't hide as much on the hitch. The tri bikes in particular as would always need the wheels reset after going on the hitch.

2017-07-25 9:54 AM
in reply to: mike761

Originally posted by mike761

You can also put a hitch on your car which then allows you to use one of many hitch mount racks.

I never liked the roof racks because of the lifting up and down and the danger of hitting them going under a bridge, parking garage, garage, low hanging branches,....

Except (as I mentioned) that we can't actually put a hitch on my husbands company car - we've already asked and it's a no-go. And my car is too tiny to fit all our camping gear and two kids in.
2017-07-25 6:43 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Originally posted by triosaurus

Keep an orange traffic cone in the garage in the same area as where you store your rack. Anytime you put a bike on the rack, put the cone in the middle of the stall. If you come home tired, late at night, or half brain-dead from some epic ride, and open the garage door to pull in, the cone is an instant reminder not to.

2017-07-25 7:14 PM
in reply to: gary p

User image

Pro

Originally posted by gary p
Originally posted by triosaurus I have no recs for a rack, but just want to suggest that, if you have not used a roof rack before, you do SOMETHING that constantly reminds you of the presence of the bike while it is on the roof. I have read many reports of people forgetting the bike was up there and they crashed it into the garage wall, or drive-thru roof, or ...
Keep an orange traffic cone in the garage in the same area as where you store your rack. Anytime you put a bike on the rack, put the cone in the middle of the stall. If you come home tired, late at night, or half brain-dead from some epic ride, and open the garage door to pull in, the cone is an instant reminder not to.

That won't work at my house.......I'd just be all "which one of the boneheads put the cone in the middle of the friggin' garage??" as I ran over it and wiped out the bikes and the garage door.  When I get home from a ride I'm lazer focused on beer......a cone ain't gonna stop me from getting one unless a grizzly bear is holding it.

On a serious note......twice I've seen bikes destroyed at hotel parking garages when folks showed up worn out from a long drive to a race.  I know damn well I'd be one of them if I went the roof route.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Roof Bike Rack Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike Seat / bike in general question

Started by Sleepyluke
Views: 712 Posts: 1

2017-07-07 9:23 AM Sleepyluke

Boulder 703 in August - Tri bike or Road bike?

Started by richtherunner
Views: 1371 Posts: 6

2017-02-04 10:36 AM richtherunner

How much better is a TT/tri bike than a road bike?

Started by Trilogy
Views: 1792 Posts: 7

2016-11-08 8:45 PM Trilogy

Tri Bike vs Road bike/aero bike questions

Started by gzh6464
Views: 9189 Posts: 10

2017-02-03 7:37 PM Jonlmac

Time Difference b/w Tri-Bike and Road Bike

Started by kp73
Views: 5172 Posts: 7

2017-04-02 4:47 PM gsmacleod