TRIMOM
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 33s
Overall Rank = 15/136
Age Group = 55-59M
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Got there early and registered, walked around and then brought the bike down to transition. Mike went first and held a spot for me on my rack designated for the ten numbers which included mine. Did all my usual eating/hydration stuff. Felt surprisingly relaxed.
Event warmup:

Long swim warm up. Water was warm and that's just the way I like it! Swam for over 10 minutes-my longest warmup ever.
Swim
  • 08m 57s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

could have and should have gone faster but I always go slow after a meltdown in a race prior.
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1869730976/1
What would you do differently?:

Keep working on the panic thing
Transition 1
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

It was a pretty long way up from the water to the bike racks. Had to go up a number of steps, run on dirt/small rocks and then grass. I was lucky this time and had a primo spot in the 4th group, right next to the bike out.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1869730976/2

nothing
Bike
  • 35m 11s
  • 12 miles
  • 20.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Wasn't allowed to pass on the long access road out of camp to the main road, so I just stayed right behind the 2 guys in front of me-then dropped them as soon as I hit the road. Pushed and held aero for the most part pretty well. Got up out of the seat for those hill sections and kept pushing steadily. Tried to keep it up over the top and get going again, but I didn't do too well with that. Coming back I was flying down some of the hills and I bunny hopped the speed bumps coming back in. Hard on the brakes and heard my son calling out cheers for me. My good luck charm did not hear me answer him as I was just trying to think and breathe at the same time-which was a challenge at that point. AP=207; NP=228

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1869730976/3

Smile more.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Took helmet off and bike shoes off at the same time, but was unable to stand and put on my run shoes and after 2 attempts, I plunked down on the ground and jammed them on. Then got up and finished the routine-shoes>visor>sunglasses(not needed)>grab race belt and nutrition bag and GO!

Zip
Run
  • 23m 54s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Flat and slow. Missed the start and wasn't sure of my pace. With no feedback to push, I did not and went MUCH slower than I was capable. A bit disappointing. I didn't even feel beat up after this one. No pain cave for this race..

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1869730976/4

Push harder-earlier and push harder still later. AKA HTFU.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a drink and then a massage. Chatted with Mike and he told me of the things he saw. He helped volunteer at one of the turns on the end of the run which was nice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not pushing on the run. Not pushing on the bike. Not going as fast as I could on the swim. Pretty much everything-HA!

Event comments:

Enjoyable small town sprint. Results were up fast. Lots of support. Nice overall venue. No issues with parking. Added bonus-all pictures taken on the course are available for FREE download. A nice feature. I really liked this race and will be back.
http://my1.raceresult.com/78762/#1_94D641

Profile Album

Last updated: 2017-07-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:57 | 440 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/136
Performance: Average
No panic attack! But not a very strong pace either. I went out to the side of everyone and since it was counter clockwise, I had to sight a lot and that slowed me. Kept a nice rhythm and didn't push it at all. Even found some feet but they kept going off line so I passed him.
Suit: Helix sleeveless-w cut legs now
Course: Mini triangle-counterclockwise but not very much distance between the first and second buoy. It was almost an out an back with 20-30 yards between the buoys.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:47
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:11 | 12 miles | 20.46 mile/hr
tried to hold 200+ watts on the first few downhill miles, but I have been having a hard time getting my breath back and even with the downhill, it took several miles. Then the hill grinding happened, again and again. I knew when they were coming as I had it written on my hand. It helps to know it's only 0.7 miles or 0.5 miles...etc. Kept power ~240 on these sections and tried to push those last few miles, but I was toast. AP=207; NP=228
Wind: Little
Course: Out the access road with speed bumps and no passing, then out to the main roads doing a big loop and back. Few miles down but 3 or 4 ~1/2 mile hills will suck the life right out of you.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 78
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:23:54 | 03 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Legs were not with me for this race and they barked early and often. Could not pick up my cadence or speed. Just felt flat. Tried to push, but just watched as 1, then 2 then 4 people passed me. Always nice to see people coming back as you go out. I did not wear the HR monitor as I did not want to feel constricted.
Course: Out and back, going up on the way out and down on the way back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2017-07-26 10:03 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: Fat Clam Sprint Triathlon

2017-07-27 8:26 AM
in reply to: #5225115

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Fat Clam Sprint Triathlon

For not pushing, it's must be a pretty good feeling to end up on the podium!  Looked like a good race to me.....and no panic in the water is always a great thing....and really liked your "smile more" comment in what you'd do differently

What's next?

2017-07-27 10:33 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by ligersandtions

For not pushing, it's must be a pretty good feeling to end up on the podium!  Looked like a good race to me.....and no panic in the water is always a great thing....and really liked your "smile more" comment in what you'd do differently

What's next?

Hi Nicole!
Hope life is being good to you and you are TEARING it up on the bike and avoiding run injuries!.

Thanks for the nice comments. My only 'event' this year is Casco Bay Swim Run. Our application was accepted and my partner and I are one of a few hundred teams that will tackle the long course. Happens in 3 weeks. 15 miles of Run and 5 miles of Swim across 11 islands in Maine-nonstop, carry everything with you.

I can't wait!!

How about you? I worked hard at long course triathlon last year and wanted a break, but I see you are still crushing the 70.3 distance. Congrats on sub 5 at Texas! You must have more on the calander...
2017-07-27 1:02 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

That is soooooooooooo awesome!  Seriously cannot wait for a race report from Casco Bay Swim-run!

I'm currently training for 70.3 WC in September.  I went down pretty hard on the bike almost three weeks ago, but managed to get back into some light training about five days later and back into full training as of this week.  Hoping to put down a good race at Chattanooga, but the timing of the crash was a bit inopportune.

Depending on how Chatt goes (and what I feel like doing), I may sign up for NOLA 70.3 or Austin 70.3 in October.....and then thinking about tackling a run focus throughout the winter. 

Can't wait to hear about Casco Bay!  I didn't apply, but had considered it.  Such a cool concept.....though I'd miss the bike

2017-07-31 9:35 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Nice podium for not trying very hard. 

You look like some kind of angry monster coming out the water - that picture is FIERCE!!

2017-07-31 2:32 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Nice podium for not trying very hard. 

You look like some kind of angry monster coming out the water - that picture is FIERCE!!

Thx Mike.

Yeah, pretty fierce in my pink cap. I DO like the photo though as you don't often get free pics and there were several to choose from at this sprint. That one exemplified my total suckage at swimming and my relief in getting air on terra firma.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fat Clam Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Naperville Sprint Triathlon

Started by Deb M
Views: 686 Posts: 1

2016-08-07 7:34 PM Deb M

New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by TJHammer
Views: 1238 Posts: 1

2016-07-28 8:55 AM TJHammer