General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cool weather triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-08-07 9:59 AM

User image

Subject: cool weather triathlon
Help! I need some recommendations for what to wear during a cool-weather sprint-distance triathlon. The forecast for this coming Saturday's race is 65*F and cloudy at the start, which will make for a fairly cool bike ride until I'm dried off.

My plan was to wear my regular triathlon race gear (tri top + shorts), but if it's 65 coming out of the pool, I can't help wondering if I should wear a long-sleeve compression shirt as well. I'm a pretty small guy, so I get cold very easily unless I cover my torso up nicely.

I have a couple long-sleeved compression shirts (one black, one white), both of which would be just fine. Should I wear them in the water, or foolishly attempt to put them on in T1?

2017-08-07 10:03 AM
in reply to: robertChiefsFan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: cool weather triathlon

i wear just my tri suit all the way down to 55 degrees and raining.  if you're working hard in a sprint you don't need more clothes.

2017-08-07 11:11 AM

Master
Northern IL

I haven't worn anything extra for sprints until it gets under 50. Intensity is high, so there is a lot of heat being produced from within. Game face and adrenaline took care of the mild discomfort for those first couple minutes. Attitude can make a huge difference in perception here.

2017-08-07 12:49 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by robertChiefsFan Help! I need some recommendations for what to wear during a cool-weather sprint-distance triathlon. The forecast for this coming Saturday's race is 65*F and cloudy at the start, which will make for a fairly cool bike ride until I'm dried off. My plan was to wear my regular triathlon race gear (tri top + shorts), but if it's 65 coming out of the pool, I can't help wondering if I should wear a long-sleeve compression shirt as well. I'm a pretty small guy, so I get cold very easily unless I cover my torso up nicely. I have a couple long-sleeved compression shirts (one black, one white), both of which would be just fine. Should I wear them in the water, or foolishly attempt to put them on in T1?

I do a 70.3 race in 55 deg and rain.  That temperature is NOT cold.  40 deg F is what one of my Marathon fiends told me is the ideal temperature for a marathon PR.  My 55 deg and rain race I wore the same race kit that I do when it is 105 def F.  I was fine except for the end of the bike course that had a 7 miles down hill stretch coming out of a mountain pass.  I peaked at 42 MPH coming down that hill and with that much wind chill on a wet body it was freezing cold.  During those 7 miles I just relaxed and enjoyed the ride.  It was really the most fun part of the race despite the chill.  I kept telling myself I could handle the chill for 15 minutes because after that I would be running hard and would warm up quickly.  That plan worked just fine.  They were handing out solar blankets at the T2 that about everyone was taking, but I skipped them and just started to run.  

So if you have any long down hill portions on the bike course and you are going to be wet (i.e. the fist 10 minutes of the bike leg before you dry out) then you may want to have long sleeves and tights if it is going to be less than 60 degrees and you are going to have a lot of wind.  On a sprint in 65 deg F I would worry about it though.  My last race was in about 65 degree weather and it was about the best temperatures I have every had for a race. There was zero wind.  I don't think anyone was worried about the cold.  They were all just happy that it wasn't 105 deg F so that they weren't limited by the heat.

2017-08-07 1:02 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Thank you for the responses! Sounds like I just need to "suck it up, buttercup", and get over it. Admittedly, I don't like being cold, but as has been pointed out, if I'm pushing hard during the race, I should be OK.
2017-08-07 1:34 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

What are your goals for the race?  

If you want to be comfortable, do what it takes to be comfortable even if it costs you a minute or two.  

If you're worried about riding when wet, instead of a compression shirt, consider a cycling jacket.  Personally, I wouldn't try to put a compression shirt on in T1, and you're defeating the purpose of your plan to swim in it (just an additional layer to dry out).  You might also consider a full-zip jersey (possibly long sleeve).  Swim in your tri-shorts, pull on the dry full-zip jersey, and enjoy the ride.  Yes, it'll add 30 seconds to your T1 (some of which you might get back because you're more comfortable).  

2017-08-07 1:39 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Originally posted by McFuzz

What are your goals for the race?  

If you want to be comfortable, do what it takes to be comfortable even if it costs you a minute or two.  

If you're worried about riding when wet, instead of a compression shirt, consider a cycling jacket.  Personally, I wouldn't try to put a compression shirt on in T1, and you're defeating the purpose of your plan to swim in it (just an additional layer to dry out).  You might also consider a full-zip jersey (possibly long sleeve).  Swim in your tri-shorts, pull on the dry full-zip jersey, and enjoy the ride.  Yes, it'll add 30 seconds to your T1 (some of which you might get back because you're more comfortable).  

My "A" goal is to finish and enjoy the race. It's my first race after being out for 8 years, so I want to enjoy the moment and savor the experience.
My "B" goal is to finish at 1:30, which would have me pushing a bit on the bike, and just a little on the run.

If I push for 1:30, I'll probably stay nice and warm after I dry off during the bike, especially when I hit the run. It's a 12 mile rolling hill course (no flat spots), so I should honestly warm up within the first couple miles (mostly uphill).

I've thought about the jacket during the bike, too...maybe even just a light-weight long-sleeved tech shirt I know goes on ok when wet.
2017-08-07 4:26 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
I don't think 65 is cold either but we all have different perceptions. A wind jacket on the bike would be my solution.
2017-08-08 7:52 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I did a sprint once where the outdoor air temp was 41F at the start of the swim (indoor pool). The initial shock of coming out of the natatorium was rough, but after five minutes on the bike I was fine. Of course, I'm not all that fast and I have a nice layer of insulation, so your results may vary. :P
2017-08-08 8:33 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
I have done a number of late fall races where the air temp was in the 50's and water temp felt much warmer-and then I froze my toes on the bike. Savageman comes to mind-numb toes on the bike from T1 all the way down getting ready for the big climb 15 miles later. I also remember doing the Pocconos 70.3 in September and my feet were numb on the run for at least 2-3 miles. Very weird not feeling your feet while you run..

Since I have a bit of Raynaud's, I now always try to keep my fingers and toes warmer, when able.
Your race sounds like it will likely be on the cool side. There are a few simple things you can do to stay a bit warmer.

-Use short arm warmers that cover elbow/forearm (I have the 2XU ones) and do a quick towel off of your arms and legs in T1-takes 10 seconds and makes a huge difference.
-Wear bike shoe covers and/or tape the vents. You don't need extra air flow, as your toes/feet will be cool enough from the cooler temp and them being wet.
-Consider wearing calf length compression socks also-they dry super fast and will keep your legs a bit warmer.

That should be enough to keep you a bit more comfortable.

It's a sprint, so you do not want to waste time in transition, so I would not recommend putting anything on-ie socks/compression shirt etc. Be efficient and dress for the anticipated temp.
2017-08-08 8:54 AM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Thanks again everyone! I will probably throw a wind jacket into my bag for the race and have it available in T1 for the bike, as needed. I ran this morning in similar temperature weather, and loved it! (perfect running weather, imo)...just concerned about the first couple miles on the bike.

2017-08-08 9:18 AM

User image

Aledo, Texas

Echo what's said above - cooler temperatures (at least for running) are ideal. My last tri, it was 48. It felt awful waiting for the swim to start, but then it was good. No jacket on the bike or run. Aside from the insane wind, the temperature was actually pleasant on the bike. 

Each person is different, so what works for me might feel terrible to you. Wear the minimum amount that you think will keep you warm. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cool weather triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Weather is making me mad!

Started by Shotshell
Views: 346 Posts: 2

2017-04-26 12:02 PM Shotshell

Please share best/worst cold weather race stories!

Started by alicefoeller
Views: 2922 Posts: 19

2018-01-12 8:50 AM audiojan

Bike mileage milestone - anything cool to mark occasion?

Started by TriMike
Views: 1150 Posts: 14

2016-08-16 1:45 PM DaveL

Cold weather running clothes for men?

Started by stevemorey
Views: 4800 Posts: 16

2017-06-13 4:37 AM Hodalp46

Whine about the weather thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by leapdog
Views: 45159 Posts: 585

2017-04-28 2:30 PM leapdog
RELATED ARTICLES