BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2017-10-17 1:40 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition

Originally posted by amd723

The mind is a funny thing, it has already blocked my race pain and erased my vow never to try another IM! I'm now thinking about a redemption race.  Of course, as soon as I started thinking about it I got a pain behind my right eye- which is my tension pain place, so maybe I need to give this a bit more thought

I hear Chattanooga 2018 is where it's at! 

2017-10-17 2:39 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by lisac957

The mind is a funny thing, it has already blocked my race pain and erased my vow never to try another IM! I'm now thinking about a redemption race.  Of course, as soon as I started thinking about it I got a pain behind my right eye- which is my tension pain place, so maybe I need to give this a bit more thought

its under consideration!

2017-10-18 2:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

its under consideration!

Glad for you that it wasn't so bad that you will never consider doing another one.
2017-10-18 2:03 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Congrats to Janyne and Jim!  Were you two running together for a little while?  It seemed that way from the tracker.

I looked for Jim on the run but I did not see him. Not sure how the tracker took our swim start into account? I started the swim at 8:06.

2017-10-18 2:06 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by TXTriRook Wow, those winds sound awful! I can't imagine having to run a marathon after shivering through a LONG bike ride. As others have said, there's no question you made the right call. Jayne and Jim, congrats on finishing. I look forward to reading your race reports. Anyone else follow/watch Kona this weekend? Was great to see a Canadian on the podium for the men this year

Someone said that you can see the front come through in the Run Out video. I played it and they are right.  At first, it's like, "What wind." But then...

Start at about 16:00. By 17:00, stuff is starting to blow over and they finally moved the fences at about 22:00 or 23:00.

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/coverage/detail.aspx?race=louisville&y=2017#axzz4vh7P4eJC

Anyway, that was crosswinds that we experienced from about mile 80 on in. 

We had a tailwind from transition until the turn for LaGrange. Then a headwind at the end of the first loop until heading back to LaGrange. Then crosswinds from the turn back at about mile 80. Max wind speed of 32 with gusts to 45.

I felt like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. I just need the wicked witch music! 

2017-10-18 2:09 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723 Thanks all! It’s hard not to second guess after you are warm and feeling good! Saw the winds were up to 45 mph, I knew they were bad! So awesome that Janyne and Jim handled that kind of weather so well! I guess I need practice in cold weather and wind!!

You could not have predicted that coming into the event. It was a freaky thing. You could not control how your body handled it. It just happened. As Jim said, it's awful that something like the weather could make all of that training go sideways :-(

2017-10-18 2:13 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Well, I kind of figured either a redemption race or vow along the lines of never,,, World's Stupidest Distance.

2017-10-18 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

its under consideration!

Similar events - Lou and Choo

Both are river swims. Choo is Wetsuit Unlikely.  Both had good dam releases this year and I would not expect that to be the case next year.

Bike courses are similar. I think Lou had more roll to it but I was on a different bike setup than last year so who knows. More total elevation in Lou. Bonus miles in Choo. More RR tracks in Choo.

Flat run in Lou, hills in Choo. My time was something like 3 seconds faster in Lou. Dunno. (I had more GI issues in the last 10 miles this year than I remember having in the past so there is that)

Fancier finish in Lou.

More touristy stuff in Choo. Hotels are closer and logistics generally easier in Chattanooga. You may need to book a hotel room "just in case." I'm at the Hampton ;-)

2017-10-18 2:19 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

Congrats to Janyne and Jim!  Were you two running together for a little while?  It seemed that way from the tracker.

I looked for Jim on the run but I did not see him. Not sure how the tracker took our swim start into account? I started the swim at 8:06.

I don't know that start time was really a factor. I was getting the alerts on my phone for the three of you and there were several times where it alerted me that one of you had crossed a certain point and then within a couple minutes I'd get another alert for another of you at the same point. I was certain you had to be seeing each other out there.

2017-10-18 2:29 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Did you all see the news about pro Matt Russell being struck by a car during the bike portion of his race at Kona? One commenter said that an officer let the car cross the road and that Russell hit it doing about 30mph. (sorry I can't translate that to kph for those of you on the metric system)

2017-10-18 2:31 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

its under consideration!

Both are river swims. Choo is Wetsuit Unlikely.  Both had good dam releases this year and I would not expect that to be the case next year.

Bike courses are similar. I think Lou had more roll to it but I was on a different bike setup than last year so who knows. More total elevation in Lou. Bonus miles in Choo. More RR tracks in Choo.

Flat run in Lou, hills in Choo. My time was something like 3 seconds faster in Lou. Dunno. (I had more GI issues in the last 10 miles this year than I remember having in the past so there is that)

Fancier finish in Lou.

More touristy stuff in Choo. Hotels are closer and logistics generally easier in Chattanooga. You may need to book a hotel room "just in case." I'm at the Hampton ;-)

I'll add, DH and DS2 were super happy with the spectator friendliness of Choo.

2017-10-18 2:34 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by rrrunner

I don't know that start time was really a factor. I was getting the alerts on my phone for the three of you and there were several times where it alerted me that one of you had crossed a certain point and then within a couple minutes I'd get another alert for another of you at the same point. I was certain you had to be seeing each other out there.

I'm pretty sure I saw Janyne as I was about 2 miles from the HM point and she was on her second loop. She was running strong!! I also think Jim passed me on the bike, but didn't realize it was him until after he passed!!

2017-10-18 2:37 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by TXTriRook Wow, those winds sound awful! I can't imagine having to run a marathon after shivering through a LONG bike ride. As others have said, there's no question you made the right call. Jayne and Jim, congrats on finishing. I look forward to reading your race reports. Anyone else follow/watch Kona this weekend? Was great to see a Canadian on the podium for the men this year

Someone said that you can see the front come through in the Run Out video. I played it and they are right.  At first, it's like, "What wind." But then...

Start at about 16:00. By 17:00, stuff is starting to blow over and they finally moved the fences at about 22:00 or 23:00.

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/coverage/detail.aspx?race=louisville&y=2017#axzz4vh7P4eJC

We had a tailwind from transition until the turn for LaGrange. Then a headwind at the end of the first loop until heading back to LaGrange. Then crosswinds from the turn back at about mile 80. Max wind speed of 32 with gusts to 45.

Lesson learned from this video is to be faster, so you miss most of the really bad stuff 

I also saw some guy in the video passing a shirt/jacket off to a spectator - caught on camera penalty! 

2017-10-18 2:38 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Well, I kind of figured either a redemption race or vow along the lines of never,,, World's Stupidest Distance.

During the event I thought "world's stupidest distance", but now i'm pretty sure i need redemption!!

2017-10-18 2:41 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

its under consideration!

Fancier finish in Lou.

I'm sort of thinking Loo needs to be redeemed in Loo, but I don't know. Not swimming in the Ohio has it's appeal. As does not really having to worry about the cold in Choo!! The bonus miles and hilly run however... 

TJ, Loo was very spectator friendly too, so your husband and son will enjoy watching you race it 

2017-10-18 2:49 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Lesson learned from this video is to be faster, so you miss most of the really bad stuff 

I also saw some guy in the video passing a shirt/jacket off to a spectator - caught on camera penalty! 

During the Kona coverage the announcers were discussing the fact that the pro men have it easier then the pro women who have it easier then the AGers because as the day goes on the winds on the bike course get worse.

2017-10-18 2:53 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

its under consideration!

Fancier finish in Lou.

I'm sort of thinking Loo needs to be redeemed in Loo, but I don't know. Not swimming in the Ohio has it's appeal. As does not really having to worry about the cold in Choo!! The bonus miles and hilly run however... 

TJ, Loo was very spectator friendly too, so your husband and son will enjoy watching you race it 

I saw my chiropractor yesterday for the first time since Choo.  He's done IMTX. He was commenting on my 1:08 swim and said he expects that kind of swim from me in future events. Um, sure

2017-10-18 4:24 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm pretty sure I saw Janyne as I was about 2 miles from the HM point and she was on her second loop. She was running strong!! I also think Jim passed me on the bike, but didn't realize it was him until after he passed!!

I thought that I saw you too! My brain was mush!

2017-10-18 4:37 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

its under consideration!

Fancier finish in Lou.

The Tennessee River was fairly pleasant and there is a place above the dam that you can go for a nice swim without the Ironman police (Chichamauga Dam Day Use Area, IIRC).  There is a lot less pre-race walking both on bike drop off day and on race morning (bus to swim start).  

Anyway, I'm sure that you'll mull it over and I'm hopeful that you'll let us know.

I'm glad that you did not have to spend quality time in the med tent or hospital. {{hugs}}

TJ, what's on tap after MCM? Are you considering Ironman Louisville?

2017-10-18 4:51 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

its under consideration!

Fancier finish in Lou.

The Tennessee River was fairly pleasant and there is a place above the dam that you can go for a nice swim without the Ironman police (Chichamauga Dam Day Use Area, IIRC).  There is a lot less pre-race walking both on bike drop off day and on race morning (bus to swim start).  

Anyway, I'm sure that you'll mull it over and I'm hopeful that you'll let us know.

I'm glad that you did not have to spend quality time in the med tent or hospital. {{hugs}}

Not in the near future.  That was a lot of time spent training. It worked out well that I was away from family and my commute to work was minimal. Now that I'm back to my real life it would be extremely difficult to get the quality training in.

I'm not sure what's next.  Maybe a 70.3, haven't given up on ultras, maybe some bike races... dunno

didimentionihaveanappointmentformymdottattoo

2017-10-18 4:59 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

its under consideration!

Fancier finish in Lou.

Not in the near future.  That was a lot of time spent training. It worked out well that I was away from family and my commute to work was minimal. Now that I'm back to my real life it would be extremely difficult to get the quality training in.

I'm not sure what's next.  Maybe a 70.3, haven't given up on ultras, maybe some bike races... dunno

So you're saying 2019 then? ;-)

2017-10-18 5:06 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

its under consideration!

Fancier finish in Lou.

Ha! When I signed up for Choo I figured the chances of it being stupid hot two years in a row was unlikely, and that gamble paid well.  But I look at the insane bike conditions you all dealt with at Lou. *shiver* I don't know HOW you all kept your bike speeds up as you did. I'd have missed a bike cutoff fo' sho'.

2017-10-18 5:33 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

its under consideration!

Fancier finish in Lou.

Ha! When I signed up for Choo I figured the chances of it being stupid hot two years in a row was unlikely, and that gamble paid well.  But I look at the insane bike conditions you all dealt with at Lou. *shiver* I don't know HOW you all kept your bike speeds up as you did. I'd have missed a bike cutoff fo' sho'.

Well, we have time to work out our 2019 plans. 

2017-10-18 7:13 PM
in reply to: #5225979

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Ha! Indeed
2017-10-18 7:53 PM

User image

Expert
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  

of 44