BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2017-08-17 5:18 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by ceilidh

Proof off Life Post. Dang Glad I made it to the new thread. I am sorry I missed so much.This is the longest I have been away from BT in a long, long time. I miss it. I really do. I miss finding out about folks on their logs. I am not training or doing anything related to tri and I feel adrift. I have been furiously spending my days trying to get all the projects done that I was going to do this fall as well as all the usual stuff that I do in the summer before my hand surgeries in September and October.  I fear I will not get a lot done. sigh. Then.... a sucker punch came out of the blue. We found out Jim's cancer is back. MOTHER F---ER!!!!!! We don't know how bad. He is going for a PET scan today. By all that is Holy to anybody, I hope it is just a teeny bit, localized and not other places. He cannot catch a break!!! I am terrified and trying not to be. I know he is as well.

We are headed to hang with friends in Charleston this weekend. Going to a Blessing of the Shrimp Boats party and watching the eclipse and helping our friend celebrate his new found freedom from work. It will be a nice distraction. No matter what we find out. I HAVE to take time to swim, bike, run, hike, paddle AND BT inspires. I can't help Jim kick cancer to the curb while being a slug.

Good to hear from you, but am really sorry to read about Jim's cancer.  Fingers crossed that it is "just" a minor event. I also hope your hand surgeries are nothing too serious! Yes, stay active as it can at least let you work out the angst! 

Im so sorry to read this. I to am praying for you that it is a small thing, or even better somehow an error in his results and it is actually nothing at all.

2017-08-17 5:46 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master

Proof off Life Post. Dang Glad I made it to the new thread. I am sorry I missed so much.This is the longest I have been away from BT in a long, long time. I miss it. I really do. I miss finding out about folks on their logs. I am not training or doing anything related to tri and I feel adrift. I have been furiously spending my days trying to get all the projects done that I was going to do this fall as well as all the usual stuff that I do in the summer before my hand surgeries in September and October.  I fear I will not get a lot done. sigh. Then.... a sucker punch came out of the blue. We found out Jim's cancer is back. MOTHER F---ER!!!!!! We don't know how bad. He is going for a PET scan today. By all that is Holy to anybody, I hope it is just a teeny bit, localized and not other places. He cannot catch a break!!! I am terrified and trying not to be. I know he is as well.

We are headed to hang with friends in Charleston this weekend. Going to a Blessing of the Shrimp Boats party and watching the eclipse and helping our friend celebrate his new found freedom from work. It will be a nice distraction. No matter what we find out. I HAVE to take time to swim, bike, run, hike, paddle AND BT inspires. I can't help Jim kick cancer to the curb while being a slug.

I'm sorry to hear about the cancer returning. Boooooo! I hope it's minor and treatable. <3

TGIF! I'm tired.
2017-08-18 8:54 AM

User image

Sorry to hear about Jim and fingers crossed for you that it's caught early! Have a great weekend!
2017-08-18 9:40 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Slightly off topic

What do you guys know about Yeti bikes and paint? Kevin's fancy pants mtb has paint that is peeling. The bike is ~3 years old. The paint is coming up the top tube (so no rubbing -- basically no contact). The bike is transported on a bike rack that holds the bike from the bottom (Thule T2). It's at the shop for a drop post cable replacement and the shop is going to contact Yeti about it. This just seems weird.

ETA: Carbon frame

ok so kind of related - back in the early to mid 2000s Titus had a HUGE problem with paint peeling from their bikes. Mine was one of them. They said there was a problem with the treating process in (surprise) China. It was a HUGE pr disaster and probably what eventually led them out of business. Having said that, back then Yeti was having some other frame issues and I know of at least 1 person who received a warranty frame. Yeti has lasted so I'm hoping for Kevin's sake their customer service is rock solid. My guess is, it is. Let me know what happens!! And Ann Marie I've had my T2 through 4 cars and going on 12 years. I just replaced some of the moving parts (ratcheting arm etc) but that rack is bomb proof.

Bomb proof is right! Kevin was rear ended (no bikes involved!) and it did not hurt his car/hitch/bike rack but it did damage the other car.

We also have the Thule and like the security and the solid-ness of it.

x3 on the Thule.  I love that any bike quickly and easily can be put on the rack, no more careful maneuvering the MTB with its odd frame only to have it hanging at some crazy angle.  My old hanging rack messed up the paint on my MTB, too.  Grrr...oh, how I hated my old bike rack!

Last year I purchased the extender making it possible to haul 4 bikes.  It's cumbersome but doable if you need to fold it up but is a great way to carry bikes for friends.  Easy on, easy off.  Usually I keep it off, only putting it on if a group is going riding.

2017-08-18 9:41 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Wishing the best for Jim today, hoping for the best news possible.  I'll be keeping you both in my thoughts.  Cancer sucks.

2017-08-18 10:01 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

{{hugs}} I know that it has been one thing after another for you. Sending good vibes for the best possible PET scan results. We are thinking of you!

2017-08-18 10:13 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by rrrunner

Slightly off topic

What do you guys know about Yeti bikes and paint? Kevin's fancy pants mtb has paint that is peeling. The bike is ~3 years old. The paint is coming up the top tube (so no rubbing -- basically no contact). The bike is transported on a bike rack that holds the bike from the bottom (Thule T2). It's at the shop for a drop post cable replacement and the shop is going to contact Yeti about it. This just seems weird.

ETA: Carbon frame

ok so kind of related - back in the early to mid 2000s Titus had a HUGE problem with paint peeling from their bikes. Mine was one of them. They said there was a problem with the treating process in (surprise) China. It was a HUGE pr disaster and probably what eventually led them out of business. Having said that, back then Yeti was having some other frame issues and I know of at least 1 person who received a warranty frame. Yeti has lasted so I'm hoping for Kevin's sake their customer service is rock solid. My guess is, it is. Let me know what happens!! And Ann Marie I've had my T2 through 4 cars and going on 12 years. I just replaced some of the moving parts (ratcheting arm etc) but that rack is bomb proof.

Bomb proof is right! Kevin was rear ended (no bikes involved!) and it did not hurt his car/hitch/bike rack but it did damage the other car.

We also have the Thule and like the security and the solid-ness of it.

x3 on the Thule.  I love that any bike quickly and easily can be put on the rack, no more careful maneuvering the MTB with its odd frame only to have it hanging at some crazy angle.  My old hanging rack messed up the paint on my MTB, too.  Grrr...oh, how I hated my old bike rack!

Last year I purchased the extender making it possible to haul 4 bikes.  It's cumbersome but doable if you need to fold it up but is a great way to carry bikes for friends.  Easy on, easy off.  Usually I keep it off, only putting it on if a group is going riding.

Looks like Thule is very popular, with Yakima also getting a thumbs up! I've read that 1 up usa is the best there is, but man are they pricey!!

2017-08-18 12:21 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

August 19-20
Dave - Orillia Sprint Triathlon on Sunday
TJ - Tour of Napa Valley on Sunday
Socks - MI Titanium on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List
Chris - ankle

Good thoughts for Jim and Robin.

2017-08-18 12:24 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by JBacarella

Originally posted by Hot Runner Think they will have that service at 70.3 Worlds as well?? I have spent so much money on getting there I may not otherwise be able to afford to eat!

Probably. I know that the hotel was Well Stocked with the Little Debbie oatmeal cookies -- the ones with the frosting in the middle. Oh, I just looked and I guess they are oatmeal cream pies.  There was some other flavor too.

I love those! That would make the hotel stay worthwhile.

Both Kevin and I were there when we checked into the hotel, they had a bag with one cookie in it. Then the reached under the desk and grabbed like half a dozen more for us. Apparently Little Debbie keeps them in cookies. Then, around the corner from the hotel, there was a Moon Pie store

I already saw the moon pie store online - LOL it's on the list!! Which hotel did you stay at? Trying to decide hotel or VRBO. Looks like parking isn't an issue.

Don't kick me out of the group, but I've never been a fan of little debbie stuff - other than the swiss rolls and I like the tastykake version better  Sounds like Chattanooga is a lot like Philly except one city is all little debbie and the other all tastykake . 

Chattanooga has Little Debbie *and* Moon Pie!

What Ironman does Taskykake sponsor?

I heard this morning on the news that Moonpies are in big demand because of the eclipse. They better have that store restocked before IMChoo! DH is already looking forward to it.

2017-08-18 1:34 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

Racing Manatees!!!

August 19-20

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List
Chris - ankle

Good luck racers!!!!

Also, lots of warm thoughts for Jim and Robin. Cancer sucks - really sorry to hear that.
2017-08-18 6:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

August 19-20

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List
Chris - ankle

Good Luck Dave, TJ and socks.
I think Yanti might be racing somewhere this weekend - but not sure.

Chris I hope your ankle heals soon and Robin I hope Jim's tests go well.

2017-08-18 8:46 PM

User image

Expert

Racing Manatees!!!

August 19-20

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List
Chris - ankle

Good Luck racers!
2017-08-19 12:14 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master

Doh!  Posted a bio for the new thread, then forgot to come back and click for notifications!  I was offline for a few days as well.  Only missed 3 pages .

Good luck to all the racers.  I have no comment on bike racks or Lil Debbie as I don't use either. 

Robin, I hope the news is what you were hoping for from Jim's scan.  Thinking of you.

2017-08-19 11:19 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by tomsimper Mini Bio I'm Tom 40 years old and live in Congleton England which is 25 miles south of Manchester. Ran and swam as a kid but then found beer and cigarettes which meant I did no form of exercise till about 2 years ago. Did my first 10k two years ago when I joined a new company and had to run it for charity with 4 weeks training. Even though it was painfull I really enojoyed it so carried on with running and got back into swimming, got my first bike 20 months ago as saw some people do a triathlon and thought if they can do it so can I. Did my first sprint triathlon last year and was supposed to do a 70.3 and olympic distance this year but fractured my collar bone at the end of April so that stopped that, getting back in to training now and plan to do them next year as differed entry. I am a member of running club (joined 2 months ago) love it as running some great routes that I never new existed, still praying that one day a run will be flat for the whole route! A member of a master swim group which is great as structed but god can I tell I haven't swam for a while as its been painful the last couple of times after 3 months out. I hope to do a full ironman in a couple of years as haven't got the time to commit just yet unless I want a divorce! I have been married to a great women called Nicola for the last 9 years and have two kids Guy 6 and Winter 4, love them to pieces but also want to strangle them at times! Love being part of the Manatees even if I don't comment as much as I should! I get great motivation on insight from all of you and love the strava feed seeing an insight into where everybody rides and runs. Well thats me!

It takes a while to train some SOs! Now, Kevin gets upset if my training plan doesn't have a ride on Tues/Thur because he wants to ride on Tues/Thur and it works better to coordinate meals if our schedules match!

How do you guys think that posting the Racing Manatees in both places has been working? Is it good or too much?

For those not on Strava, we have a Manatee group. The group makes it really easy to find (and follow!) each other on Strava and it can be good to get an overview of what folks are doing. I still go to everyone's BT log for the details but Strava is awesome for the overview. Plus Strava import seems to be less finky than the BT import ;-)

https://www.strava.com/clubs/manatees

I like Strava more and more - especially since BT has decided it doesn't really want to import my data and I have to do it manually 99.99% of the time. Plus, it is easier seeing what everyone is up to. BT is still good for reading people's blogs, so we know more than just what the workout numbers.  As far as posting racing manatees in both places - I'm good with it, but since you are doing all the heavy lifting I think you get to make the call if it is too much!!

I'm gonna have to check this out. Same for me, BT just stopped importing my data even though I have all of my settings correct and have re-set everything multiple times. 

BT seems to have been doing well with transferring over my workouts, but is kind of lacking for what I want to do. The My Training Calendar* view is nice to have for checking to see if workouts were done, but BT only seems to have some of the most basic details are lacking. I mean, I can see an average pace, but seeing individual mile splits is more of a chore, if it even has them. Similar for HR. Writing about workouts is still good there. I've been using strava for more detail. I don't write so much of what the workout is because I usually don't have too. The laps view takes care of that well enough. For a bike workout, I can often tell the Sufferfest video just looking at the power profile, though do tend to label it anyway.

*Fyi for those newer, this view is tremendously helpful in going over someones logs if they have a question. I can look at so much data so fast to check out frequency, summaries (what the person wrote about it), and other things. It's way better for analysis than trying to go over in blog view. We'll get a statement like "I've been running 5x a week", and it takes ~5 seconds to see that only happened once in the last 6 weeks. There may be 1 week of 4x, and the others were 2-3x. That's a massive difference needs to know about.

2017-08-20 9:25 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by brigby1
*Fyi for those newer, this view is tremendously helpful in going over someones logs if they have a question. I can look at so much data so fast to check out frequency, summaries (what the person wrote about it), and other things. It's way better for analysis than trying to go over in blog view. We'll get a statement like "I've been running 5x a week", and it takes ~5 seconds to see that only happened once in the last 6 weeks. There may be 1 week of 4x, and the others were 2-3x. That's a massive difference needs to know about.

Thanks for this Ben, I didn't know that was there.
2017-08-20 9:26 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
STOP THE PRESSES

I ran today

2017-08-20 11:37 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by StaceyK STOP THE PRESSES I ran today

You ran tomorrow. 

2017-08-20 11:54 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Stacey, Yanti, and I are always ahead of you--haha!
2017-08-21 8:23 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

YAY! 

2017-08-21 12:19 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Whooop whoooop, nice job!!

2017-08-21 1:06 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by StaceyK

STOP THE PRESSES

I ran today

YAY!!!

2017-08-21 1:07 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Ok my IMCHOO people - WHERE IS THE ATHLETE GUIDE!? LOL it's driving me insane. I just want the 2018 date! Or does anyone know that info?
2017-08-21 5:36 PM
in reply to: #5225979

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
As many of you saw, I survived my first century. Interestingly, I don't have a medal, shirt, hat or anything to show for it. The pix were posted just a bit ago. This one is pretty good but it's $15! ($10 off if I write a "meaningful review). Not sure I need the pic....

(IMG_6662.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_6662.JPG (21KB - 6 downloads)
2017-08-21 5:39 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master

Originally posted by rrrunner As many of you saw, I survived my first century. Interestingly, I don't have a medal, shirt, hat or anything to show for it. The pix were posted just a bit ago. This one is pretty good but it's $15! ($10 off if I write a "meaningful review). Not sure I need the pic....

That's a great shot though!   Congratulations

2017-08-21 5:40 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by brigby1

You ran tomorrow. 

That's worth double miles, right?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  

of 44