BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2017-08-09 6:47 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition

Kicking off the second thread of the 2017 Manatees.

Please post a mini bio if you have a chance.

2017-08-09 6:48 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition

Janyne (that’s ja-neen). IM finisher. I like to run and ride bikes. Adult onset swimmer and I like swimming more than swimming likes me. I live with my husband, Kevin, and our dog, Zoe.  We reside in the Raleigh, NC area. Coffee. Chocolate.

2017-08-09 7:16 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Karen, finisher of pretty much everything except full IM, longtime endurance sports addict. Runner since age 10. Love to swim and run; put up with the bike because it tends to happen between the swim and run in a triathlon. It depends on the race, but generally best at running, then swimming, then bike. But that has varied--rough water and I might do better on the swim; go crazy on the bike and I might do well on the bike and die on the run , especially in sprints. My best distance is probably HIM; still trying to figure out the shorter stuff!

During the school year I live in Saigon and teach Grade 5 at an international school here. (Today was our first day of school!) Eugene, Oregon has been home for the past 25+ years when in the States, but my parents are moving to Boise so guess that will become home, somehow. Two "fur children" (cats) Smudgee and Tomoko, who are responsible for getting me up to train at 4:XX daily.

Addictions/passions (? Is that what we're supposed to include?): Korean ramen, coffee, travel, hiking, bike touring, designing my own clothes, lying on the couch with a good book.
2017-08-09 7:28 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Randee - long time reader, some time poster. Couch to IM in 5 years (starting at age 38).

Live in CT with DH, 2 cats, 1 greyhound.

The rest of this season includes Barrelman 70.3 and Spacecoast half marathon.
2017-08-09 8:24 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
In for a new thread after going off the radar all summer.

Sean - married with 2 kids (5&7) and one fur kid(10). I've been doing tri for a little over 2.5 years. My wife has gotten into running as well.

Well pod, after a long summer of travel and over indulgence, it's time to get into shape again. This is kind of the same pattern I followed last year (race in spring, take time off in summer, get fit again in fall/winter) and it worked out pretty good, so hopefully it will again this year. It is hard to accept where I'm at with my fitness though. I had aspirations of being competitive at a HIM this fall but in order to build my base correctly I'm not sure that's going to happen.

I think my main goal right now is to go for a KQ at IMTX next spring, but I haven't signed up yet (not sure why I haven't pulled the trigger). So from that perspective, my goal for the rest of the year is to build my base and get into good enough shape to where I can then really train hard for IMTX.
2017-08-09 8:38 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Jet Black In for a new thread after going off the radar all summer. Sean - married with 2 kids (5&7) and one fur kid(10). I've been doing tri for a little over 2.5 years. My wife has gotten into running as well. Well pod, after a long summer of travel and over indulgence, it's time to get into shape again. This is kind of the same pattern I followed last year (race in spring, take time off in summer, get fit again in fall/winter) and it worked out pretty good, so hopefully it will again this year. It is hard to accept where I'm at with my fitness though. I had aspirations of being competitive at a HIM this fall but in order to build my base correctly I'm not sure that's going to happen. I think my main goal right now is to go for a KQ at IMTX next spring, but I haven't signed up yet (not sure why I haven't pulled the trigger). So from that perspective, my goal for the rest of the year is to build my base and get into good enough shape to where I can then really train hard for IMTX.

What a great goal! You are super speedy, so I'm putting my money on you achieving it! 

2017-08-09 8:42 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

[

Ann-Marie AKA Hands. Hopeful IM finisher October 15th. Also an adult onset swimmer. I'm spending lots of time trying to get less bad swimming, the ROI is not looking great   I live in Orlando with my german shepherd Gunnar.  I second the Coffee, Chocolate sentiment!!  

2017-08-09 10:57 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Chris, rarely known as dubsix. I participate in occasional sprint tri, running and mtb events. I find joy in training outside. I live with TW (THE Wife, if you are going to have a wife, I suggest one just like her), Ann. We live in the not so bustling, not so metropolis of Englewood Fl. I am a Technical guru by trade and lover of beer and photography by choice.

2017-08-09 12:01 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master

Kirsten, IronOx.  So nicknamed by a training partner because I could haul my heavy road bike (he calls it the tractor) up hills quickly and easily.  Athlete all my life, always wanted to complete a marathon, finally did so in 2010.  Always wanted to try triathlon, did so in 2012.  Have since completed 2 IM races, multiple HIMs, sprints and standards.  I don't totally understand why I continue to do this, as I moan and complain a lot about getting up early and hurting in races.  I submit that it is because I am a moron.  It might also have something to do with the fact that I like beer, chips, chocolate and just food in general, so I would weigh a ton more than I do if I didn't continue.  I do like the coffee too.  I live near Vancouver, Canada with my SO and our 4 dogs and 2 cats.  I guess I need to get a photo of the new baby into the Manatee gallery.

2017-08-09 12:37 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by IronOx

Kirsten, IronOx.  So nicknamed by a training partner because I could haul my heavy road bike (he calls it the tractor) up hills quickly and easily.  Athlete all my life, always wanted to complete a marathon, finally did so in 2010.  Always wanted to try triathlon, did so in 2012.  Have since completed 2 IM races, multiple HIMs, sprints and standards.  I don't totally understand why I continue to do this, as I moan and complain a lot about getting up early and hurting in races.  I submit that it is because I am a moron.  It might also have something to do with the fact that I like beer, chips, chocolate and just food in general, so I would weigh a ton more than I do if I didn't continue.  I do like the coffee too.  I live near Vancouver, Canada with my SO and our 4 dogs and 2 cats.  I guess I need to get a photo of the new baby into the Manatee gallery.

Moron hahahaha. I am of the opinion that I my life is proof that you can live a long time while making questionable decisions.

A life lived well is not lived carefully!

2017-08-09 12:47 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

TJ, runner turned triathlete. Have completed runs up to 50k and tris up to HIM. Hoping to finish my first IM in 46 days (eek). Married to DH (dear husband) who is the calm voice in my otherwise chaotic life. We have two adult sons (DS1 and DS2), three dogs (one of which is my best running partner) and a cat. We live near Albuquerque but I've spent the last four and a half months in the convection oven that is Bakersfiled, California.

2017-08-09 1:28 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
I, too, am a moron. Lulz.
2017-08-09 2:52 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master

Originally posted by cdban66

Moron hahahaha. I am of the opinion that I my life is proof that you can live a long time while making questionable decisions.

A life lived well is not lived carefully!

Agree on both points.  Well, my life, not yours.  I am in no place to judge anyone

2017-08-09 2:53 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by Jet Black I, too, am a moron. Lulz.

It's a new support group.  Hi, my name is Kirsten and I am a moronic manatee.

2017-08-09 5:37 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

What kind of dog mom are you?!

2017-08-09 5:39 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

TJ, runner turned triathlete. Have completed runs up to 50k and tris up to HIM. Hoping to finish my first IM in 46 days (eek). Married to DH (dear husband) who is the calm voice in my otherwise chaotic life. We have two adult sons (DS1 and DS2), three dogs (one of which is my best running partner) and a cat. We live near Albuquerque but I've spent the last four and a half months in the convection oven that is Bakersfiled, California.

But how do you really feel about Bakersfield? ;-)

2017-08-09 5:40 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Hmmm.  I feel a new group name coming on... 

2017-08-09 7:21 PM

Master
Northern IL

Seen some more activity lately. Feeling better, dummy?

2017-08-09 8:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Stacey - always late to the conversation cause I live in Australia and you guys are a day behind me.
Done various types of sport my entire life. Started doing sprint tris again in my late 30's - I am slow (and fat).
This year has been focused entirely on running. Completed my first marathon at the beginning of July and heading to Florida on Dec 30th to do the Disney Dopey Challenge.
Married to Phil and we are crazy dog people - we have too many mastiffs to count.

Oh I forgot - I don't like coffee or beer, but I love chocolate

Edited by StaceyK 2017-08-09 8:16 PM
2017-08-10 7:29 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Katy, Texas
I missed that during my sabbatical, huge congrats on the marathon!! Woot woot!!
2017-08-10 7:30 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by brigby1

Seen some more activity lately. Feeling better, dummy?

Ha! Yes, definitely feeling better. I was trying to start getting back in shape that week I threw my back out. Take 2 started this week. So far so good.

2017-08-10 8:07 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Lol, I think if I didn't voluntarily join the moronic manatee support group others would sign me up !

2017-08-10 9:08 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Adam - College Professor, father of 2, triathlete for 2 years, and unreliable Manatee.

POL post. I've had a lot going on lately. I had the opportunity to attend a conference in Zurich last month. Lake Zurich had the most beautiful blue water, very clean to the point of being nearly drinkable (in fact the city had a lot of public fountains always running from which you can drink). It's the most expensive place I've ever been so I'm unlikely to ever do IM Switzerland - the entry fee might be cheap by comparison. I was also able to bookend the trip with weekends in Paris, which was nice. I missed the end of the Tour de France by just a couple of days.

I've also been preparing for an upcoming move in town and wedding in September (here's hoping marriage #2 goes better than #1). So a lot of my time lately has been dealing with realtors, mortgage brokers, movers, tilities, etc.

I don't have any races on the books currently, so I've been doing a lot of strength training. I lost a lot of size and strength in my tri training this spring, so it's been nice to get back in the gym (esp in North Carolina summers). I need to be better about tracking these on BT.

Hope everyone is doing well. I'm hoping to get caught up on the threads soon!

Adam
2017-08-10 11:57 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

What kind of dog mom are you?!

Is that the kelpie that has made an appearance on IG? Too cute! I have a kelpie. She is beautiful-smart-ornery-stubborn and full of energy.

2017-08-10 2:11 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by jmkizer

Hmmm.  I feel a new group name coming on... 

Too late to change the thread title?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  

of 44