BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2017-08-21 5:57 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition

Originally posted by rrrunner As many of you saw, I survived my first century. Interestingly, I don't have a medal, shirt, hat or anything to show for it. The pix were posted just a bit ago. This one is pretty good but it's $15! ($10 off if I write a "meaningful review). Not sure I need the pic....

Congratulations on your first century! Hope you liked it. That is a good picture. Expensive, but good!

2017-08-21 6:39 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by StaceyK STOP THE PRESSES I ran today

You ran tomorrow. 

I always swim/bike/run tomorrow too!! :D

Awesome job getting the run in!

I FINALLY got in a solo "training" ride. I am looking at either an Olympic or 70.3 distance race in November. Trying to get back into a TRI frame of mind instead of just working out willy nilly.

Hope you all are off to a great start this week!
2017-08-21 6:50 PM
in reply to: Blanda

Master
Northern IL

It's more common that one may note how high up they went during a workout, but in my case today, it was going down to -2 ft. Certainly some different options with a shoreline like this available.

2017-08-21 9:35 PM

User image

Originally posted by rrrunner

As many of you saw, I survived my first century. Interestingly, I don't have a medal, shirt, hat or anything to show for it. The pix were posted just a bit ago. This one is pretty good but it's $15! ($10 off if I write a "meaningful review). Not sure I need the pic....

That's an awesome picture! Buy it!!! Congrats on your first century!
2017-08-21 10:40 PM
in reply to: #5226680

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Two questions....

Now that IM allows phones how many plan to or already have carried it? I'm considering it, mostly so I can get encouragement texts on my Garmin

Also, anyone have an XLab rear mounted set up? My cheapie Profile Design failed big time Sunday. Coach recommends XLab and I like the options. Just not sure which option to go with.
2017-08-22 12:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

As many of you saw, I survived my first century. Interestingly, I don't have a medal, shirt, hat or anything to show for it. The pix were posted just a bit ago. This one is pretty good but it's $15! ($10 off if I write a "meaningful review). Not sure I need the pic....
Its a great photo so if you don't want to pay for it get your snipping tool out and snip it so it doesn't have the words in it and save it. Oh hang on no don't cause that would be breaching copyright

2017-08-22 3:36 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by rrrunnerTwo questions....Now that IM allows phones how many plan to or already have carried it? I'm considering it, mostly so I can get encouragement texts on my Garmin Also, anyone have an XLab rear mounted set up? My cheapie Profile Design failed big time Sunday. Coach recommends XLab and I like the options. Just not sure which option to go with.
I don't think I'm going to bring my phone, but haven't really given it too much thought. I have the xlab rear mount with gorilla cages so bottles don't go flying. I haven't had any issues with it in the 5 years I've used it. What failed with your set up?
2017-08-22 8:13 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Two questions....

Now that IM allows phones how many plan to or already have carried it? I'm considering it, mostly so I can get encouragement texts on my Garmin

Also, anyone have an XLab rear mounted set up? My cheapie Profile Design failed big time Sunday. Coach recommends XLab and I like the options. Just not sure which option to go with.

1. I would not - having the bluetooth on would suck the life out of my garmin. Even dh's gave a low battery signal at 12hr IM so I wouldn't chance it for my 15 hour race

2. I've heard IMCHOO has bottle launch zones (rail road tracks) so I'd get the most secure bottle setup I could. And I think that is probably the gorilla cages. Even with that, proceed with caution!

edited to add, Candice from Xlab is on slowtwitch and you can message her with questions!

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2017-08-22 8:13 AM
2017-08-22 9:42 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner As many of you saw, I survived my first century. Interestingly, I don't have a medal, shirt, hat or anything to show for it. The pix were posted just a bit ago. This one is pretty good but it's $15! ($10 off if I write a "meaningful review). Not sure I need the pic....

Congratulations, again! It's a nice picture. Now to come up with something to say in a meaningful review...

2017-08-22 9:44 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

It's more common that one may note how high up they went during a workout, but in my case today, it was going down to -2 ft. Certainly some different options with a shoreline like this available.

-2 feet? That's swimming

2017-08-22 9:55 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner Two questions.... Now that IM allows phones how many plan to or already have carried it? I'm considering it, mostly so I can get encouragement texts on my Garmin Also, anyone have an XLab rear mounted set up? My cheapie Profile Design failed big time Sunday. Coach recommends XLab and I like the options. Just not sure which option to go with.

For me, a phone would be a distraction. Also, I normally carry my phone in my bento box but I will probably want every bit of that for nutrition.

I have an XLab on the back. It's a less expensive model. (https://www.xlab-usa.com/mini-wing-system.html) I zip tied the two cages together and that gave i some added stability.  You might want to ask Coach what model he recommends or if the mini wing system is fine.  I did like that it came with the tiny bag. I hope that I never have to get it off again but I'm glad that it's there.

2017-08-22 9:56 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by rrrunner Two questions.... Now that IM allows phones how many plan to or already have carried it? I'm considering it, mostly so I can get encouragement texts on my Garmin Also, anyone have an XLab rear mounted set up? My cheapie Profile Design failed big time Sunday. Coach recommends XLab and I like the options. Just not sure which option to go with.

Think I both did and did not carry at times for long course. Bluetooth wasn't an option then, but if battery life is in question, would probably disable that for the most part.

I do have some XLab parts I'm not using anymore, though will need to get home first (next weekend) to see exactly what they are. It's all going to be from at least a few years ago. Duct tape strips, or something a bit tacky, on the inside of a bottle holder seemed to help. Not holding the bottle directly, but adding more friction in there.

2017-08-22 10:00 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
1. I would not - having the bluetooth on would suck the life out of my garmin. Even dh's gave a low battery signal at 12hr IM so I wouldn't chance it for my 15 hour race 2. I've heard IMCHOO has bottle launch zones (rail road tracks) so I'd get the most secure bottle setup I could. And I think that is probably the gorilla cages. Even with that, proceed with caution! edited to add, Candice from Xlab is on slowtwitch and you can message her with questions!

* Good point re: battery life!

* I lost a bottle from my frame cage on the track at about mile 10.  I should have slowed way down but the race officials were bothering me and I didn't feel like I could :-(

2017-08-22 11:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

1. I would not - having the bluetooth on would suck the life out of my garmin. Even dh's gave a low battery signal at 12hr IM so I wouldn't chance it for my 15 hour race 2. I've heard IMCHOO has bottle launch zones (rail road tracks) so I'd get the most secure bottle setup I could. And I think that is probably the gorilla cages. Even with that, proceed with caution! edited to add, Candice from Xlab is on slowtwitch and you can message her with questions!

* I lost a bottle from my frame cage on the track at about mile 10.  I should have slowed way down but the race officials were bothering me and I didn't feel like I could :-(

Good point about the Bluetooth. I'll skip the phone, less to worry about. I was wondering about Garmin life after my century.

As for the cage, Coach specifically mentioned the Gorilla. The Profile Design woes began a few weeks ago when one of the brackets holding it on to my seat rails fell off. I didn't notice it when it happened so several miles down the road I reached for my bottle and the cage was askew. I used a hair tie to keep it semi-fastened so I could finish my ride. DH created a replacement bracket so I've just been making sure that is tight before rides. Well during Napa one of the bottle holders came loose from the frame part. I heard it and tightened it when I was stopped at one of the aid stations.  After about 50 miles, and several rough spots, the bottle started ejecting. I dropped it a couple times before I just started reaching back every once in a while to shove it back in. I decided at that point that the profile design was done.

On an unrelated note but funny (not at the time), I got a flat at 98. Ninety. Friggin. Eight. Seriously?!?!?!?!

Edited by rrrunner 2017-08-22 11:50 AM
2017-08-22 11:55 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

That is a very good pic and congrats on surviving!  And yeah, a flat at mile 98 is just mean.

2017-08-22 3:41 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Good point about the Bluetooth. I'll skip the phone, less to worry about. I was wondering about Garmin life after my century.

As for the cage, Coach specifically mentioned the Gorilla. The Profile Design woes began a few weeks ago when one of the brackets holding it on to my seat rails fell off. I didn't notice it when it happened so several miles down the road I reached for my bottle and the cage was askew. I used a hair tie to keep it semi-fastened so I could finish my ride. DH created a replacement bracket so I've just been making sure that is tight before rides. Well during Napa one of the bottle holders came loose from the frame part. I heard it and tightened it when I was stopped at one of the aid stations.  After about 50 miles, and several rough spots, the bottle started ejecting. I dropped it a couple times before I just started reaching back every once in a while to shove it back in. I decided at that point that the profile design was done.

On an unrelated note but funny (not at the time), I got a flat at 98. Ninety. Friggin. Eight. Seriously?!?!?!?!

I have the sonic wing with 2 gorilla cages. The sonic wing works with my p2, don't know if it is compatible with Felts. I've never had an issue with anything coming loose or ejecting bottles.

Flatting at mile 98 is really not funny!

2017-08-22 4:18 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Hey all. Your good thoughts helped out. Jim's PET scan came back with cancer in a small, localized area and no where else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Localized radiation will be used to kick its . We found out just before the eclipse. Battle plans being made on many fronts. One of them is getting back to training, the other to not be sol self absorbed and be more active here.  So I signed up for two Half Marathons last night after everyone was asleep. One in the Smokey Mnt National Park in November, the other in Key West in Jan. Training starts in the morning

2017-08-22 5:20 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by ceilidh

Hey all. Your good thoughts helped out. Jim's PET scan came back with cancer in a small, localized area and no where else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Localized radiation will be used to kick its . We found out just before the eclipse. Battle plans being made on many fronts. One of them is getting back to training, the other to not be sol self absorbed and be more active here.  So I signed up for two Half Marathons last night after everyone was asleep. One in the Smokey Mnt National Park in November, the other in Key West in Jan. Training starts in the morning

Yay and YAY!!!!!!!!!

2017-08-22 5:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Thats so good to hear Robin.
Happy running today
2017-08-22 6:26 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

great news!!!!

2017-08-22 6:31 PM

User image

Master

Awesome job on your first century! That's a pretty fly photo. Something to put on a wall, especially with it being of a first!

2017-08-22 6:32 PM

User image

Master

Fantastic news!!! Do ALL the races!!!
2017-08-22 7:30 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by StaceyK

Thats so good to hear Robin. Happy running today
but I really AM running tomorrow

2017-08-22 7:30 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Wheeeeeeeeee!! Yay!!
2017-08-22 7:31 PM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Blanda
Awesome job on your first century! That's a pretty fly photo. Something to put on a wall, especially with it being of a first!

You NEED the pic. It is a great one. I am sure you can squeek out a meaningful review.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  

of 44