General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recovering from torn meniscus Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-08-11 8:43 AM

User image

Subject: Recovering from torn meniscus
A couple of weeks ago, I was doing speedwork (run) and I felt a pop and sharp pain in my left knee. I foolishly ran my last 400m to complete my workout before slowing/stopping. Later that day, I could put hardly any weight on my left leg and I couldn't straighten my leg nor bend it beyond 90* without a lot of pain. I saw an ortho last week and he is pretty sure I've torn my medial meniscus. I just had an MRI to verify but was wondering if others on BT have suffered a torn meniscus and what treatment you received and more importantly how was the recovery process.

the good news is that cycling doesn't bother my knee at all and swimming only produces minor discomfort.

-john

2017-08-11 9:41 AM
in reply to: gigolfer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Recovering from torn meniscus
I had surgery a few years ago on torn meniscus. Recovery went great. I was walking normal shortly after the surgery.

Just remember that it takes longer to heal on the inside of your body so give it some time before you start training. I would get doctor recommendation on resuming training based on what he/she found and saw in your surgery.

Speedy recovery
2017-08-11 1:20 PM

User image

, Pennsylvania
I tore mine in February time frame, came up from a trainer ride and turned quickly in the kitchen...I think I was grabbing a beer, then POP. Torn Meniscus. I was on and off for about 3 weeks. Swimming hurt to push off and running, other than a straight line, was tough. I wore a brace while biking and running for about 2 weeks. Should have kept it on longer.

Anyways, other than slowing training down I seem to be pretty healed up. I get swelling in that knee and feel like I am protecting it, my running gait is a little bit different. Trying to work through that.

Best of luck...
2017-08-12 8:57 PM

User image

Ventura, California

I have a torn meniscus. Verified via MRI. They wanted to do surgery and I declined. Once you remove material it never grows back, while the surgery is common if they make any mistakes and remove too much material, ah not a chance I was willing to take.

I am sure I tore it many years ago as I remember driving my stick shift car and having to extend my leg until the knee popped free and then I could operate the clutch pedal without binding and pain. That was about a decade ago. Recently started hurting again a couple years ago after training for a marathon. That is when it was diagnosed. I took 2 weeks off from all training, then eased back into it. That is when I switched to Triathlons to reduce the constant pounding of running only. 

I have since completed 2 marathons, 5k's, 10k's, half dozen triathlons, a couple gran fondos etc.... 

It flares up every now and again, I just take some time off from training or reduce the training load. One day I will need surgery, but for now I just nurse that bad boy along and watch my step and listen to my knees. So far so good.

Best Wishes on what ever path you choose. Each injury is different and some require immediate intervention, some can keep moving along for years with only minor discomfort. I would first take time off from training, ice it, and generally be careful for a couple weeks. Ease back into training and see how it goes, if it doesn't get better then you know what you gotta do.

2017-08-19 12:58 PM
in reply to: #5226096

User image

It's confirmed...I have a flap tear that's folded over on itself which is why my range of motion is limited and why it hurts to more than walk.

I go in for a partial menisectemy this week...sounds like the recovery will be pretty quick since it's not a repair...rather it's a removal.

I can't wait to start training again, but my sprint in 3 weeks is a no-go. I'll start building for next season though.
-john
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recovering from torn meniscus Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New Wetsuit Recommendation / Wet suit tears

Started by Kokemartin
Views: 839 Posts: 7

2017-07-11 3:52 PM BikerGrrrl

How do you recover after hard workouts?

Started by jessicarandall
Views: 800 Posts: 1

2017-06-22 7:40 PM jessicarandall