General Discussion Race Reports! » Skidaway Island Sprint Triathlon at the Landings Club Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Skidaway Island Sprint Triathlon at the Landings Club - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Savannah, Georgia
United States
GO Race Productions
83F / 28C
Overcast
Total Time = 57m 47s
Overall Rank = 2/115
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 1/6
Pre-race routine:

Slept at the residence inn by Marriott in downtown Savannah because i didn't want to drive 2 hours early in the morning to race. Got up at 0600, had breakfast of coffee, oatmeal, and a banana. the drove to the event at 0630. Drive was supposed to take 20 minutes but the traffic to get through the gate took 20 minutes by itself; they were checking everyone individually through the gate and giving the tags to hang on their car. Got parked and unloaded and was ready by 0730. Drank my Gatorade and spark energy blend. took a gu prior to race start.
Event warmup:

Biked 3 miles easy, wanted to do the run course but took a wrong turn. Swam 200 easy, and 50 hard. hung out with the wife under the awning for pre race meeting.
Swim
  • 04m 23s
  • 250 meters
  • 01m 45s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started pretty high up for me in a sprint, so I was only worried about being passed but I had done a TT early in the week and felt my time would solid. The girl in front of me asked if flip turns were ok, I told her yes but if she hadn't practiced doing the under the lap line it wasnt a good idea, she said she would try the first one and see how it goes, well it went terrible, not sure on total damage but her head hit the lap lane and she was hanging on the wall as i went by. next 150 was easy with nobody except oncoming traffic to deal with. with 50 to go i caught a group of 4 and did a slow draft of them, the last 25 i passed all 4 on the left side as the pool opened up to the stairs exit. (now in 10th place)
What would you do differently?:

seed myself a few seeds higher as i had the 3rd best swim of the group but seeded myself at 15th.
Transition 1
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

got into transition and one of the relay team members was blocking my rack i yelled for him to move and it was the worlds greatest inconvenience for him. then i got everything dressed and was out. I passed 4 people out (now in 6th place)

normal slow transition for me but acceptable.
Bike
  • 27m 17s
  • 10.8 miles
  • 23.75 mile/hr
Comments:

I passed 2 people within the first 2 miles (4th place) then ended up in a weird spot, where i could see anyone and was doubting if i was going the right direction. at mile 5 i passed another 2 to move to second place and at the aquatic research center saw the guy in first (2nd place). after the flip i set out to get him but then ended up the last 2 miles worried i had missed a turn and my pace went from 24-25 down to 22. i got a glimpse of him on a long mile straight away and then ramped it back up. pulled into transition with the best bike of the day.

know the course better so I'm not worried about getting lost so much and learn to race from the front. not usually a race leader, usually get the benefit of just following others around the course.
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

So I had one of the slowest T2's ever but I couldn't feel my legs. I was worried about my run from the last couple tri's and being all blown up at the end of the bike. The day before the race my new nike zoom fly's arrived, after walking a mile in them i decided they would be my race shoes the only problem is the tongue has to be just right or it bunches so lacing too me a bit since I didn't have quick laces.

Should have ordered quick laces when I ordered the shoes.
Run
  • 24m 21s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 07m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out the run and went through a lot of self doubt on the first .6 of a mile, couldn't feel my legs, hurt to breathe, and just started worrying that I was going to blow up at any moment. Crossed the street to the aid station took a cup of water, dumped a cup of water and then began the jog up the hill (hurt) after the hill it just became 1 foot in from of the other. All the volunteers kept a lot of energy and letting me know I was in 2nd place. I saw the 1st place guy after the turn and knew he had about 2 minutes on me that I wouldn't be able to close down. So the course is .1 long so you can see the marsh (very pretty, not upset with the extra distance). After the turn I was hurting but soon saw the 3rd place guy, I knew I had a little over a minute on him but where he was in swim seed knew that it meant almost no lead. I picked up the pace a little until mile 2, hit the hill again, everyone I was seeing was looking bad and walking coming in the opposite direction. I rounded the corner and gave it everything I had, heartrate was maxed out but the shoes wanted to go faster, they really carried me through the race. Ended up I won 2nd place by 3 seconds.

be tougher mentally.
Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the line and then went straight to the pool and sat in the kiddy end for about 10 minutes cooling off. Did some stretching, packed transition, then hung around for awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

mental toughness and knowledge of the course.

Event comments:

This is a great race course for beginners or for somebody looking to drop the hammer for an hour. Pool is very nice, roads are flat and shaded with lots of support, run course is nice out and back. Go race productions does a great job!

Last updated: 2017-08-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:23 | 250 meters | 01m 45s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 3/115
Performance: Good
Officially a 4:23 from start to T1 mat but exited the pool at 3:58. https://www.strava.com/activities/1129674380
Suit: Lava Shorts
Course: The swim is a 250 meter pool swim in the Franklin Creek Pool. Participants start at one side of the pool and snake their way up and down each lane as they work towards the other side of the pool
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:27:17 | 10.8 miles | 23.75 mile/hr
Overall: 1/115
Performance:
average power 253, average cadence 101, average HR 174
Wind: Some
Course: The bike course is a 18K loop. The course is completely flat and fairly shaded. The course takes place in the beautiful Landings development and surrounding parts of Skidaway Island. The roads are open to traffic – but traffic is usually fairly light. https://www.relive.cc/view/1129659896
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 101
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:24:21 | 03.2 miles | 07m 37s  min/mile
Overall: 3/115
Performance:
Course: The 5K run course is a single out and back, primarily on sidewalks and golf paths. The course is also completely flat and heavily shaded. The highlight to the event is the vistas at the run turn around. Views of marshland and estuarine birds all while running over wooden cart paths. https://www.relive.cc/view/1129674421
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2017-08-13 9:21 AM

User image

Saint Marys, Georgia
Subject: Skidaway Island Sprint Triathlon at the Landings Club
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Skidaway Island Sprint Triathlon at the Landings Club Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Richmond Tri Club Sprint Triathlon

Started by wsb5c
Views: 855 Posts: 1

2017-04-25 9:37 AM wsb5c

Richmond Tri Club Sprint Triathlon

Started by wsb5c
Views: 864 Posts: 1

2017-04-25 9:10 AM wsb5c

Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon

Started by Devilsdlg
Views: 1007 Posts: 1