Regina, Saskatchewan
Canada
Regina Multisport Club
Total Time = 1h 26m 8s
Overall Rank = 17/56
Age Group = F20-29
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6:00 AM. Left the house around 6:30 AM to arrive at the course 45 minutes before transition closed.

Got dressed and ready, made steeped tea, made a bagel with peanut butter, filled up my water bottles and headed down to the course.

About 45 minutes before the race I drank my amino energy drink
Event warmup:

I did a quick loop in the parking lot on my bike before taking it into transition to make sure everything was working and I had it in the gear I wanted to start the bike portion on.

18 minutes before transition closed (7:12 AM) I went for a quick 5 minute out and back run and finished with some dynamic warm up before getting my running shoes back into transition and doing one last check.

We could get into the pool about 5 minutes before the heat started to do a quick warm up and get used to the water. Due to someone finishing in our lane, I only had time to do 100 yards (there and back once). I did 50 yards free and 50 yards breast stroke
Swim
  • 14m 15s
  • 750 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

I went out way too hard on the start. I caught up to the girl ahead of me (and would continue to play cat and mouse with her for the whole triathlon - until she injured herself on the run) on the second 50 m. I felt my breathing getting laboured at one point and I switched to breast stroke about half way for a length. She caught me on this lap. I switched back to free on the next lap and was able to stay with her for the whole way, alternating between free and breast. I could have probably passed her again once I got back into a rhythm but I was enjoying drafting off her in the pool and felt like I would fatigue too much again if I was trying to just pull away from her the whole time so she wouldn't catch me again. Unfortunately on the last 50 yards, we all got stuck behind one of the guys in our lane that was slower than us so it wasn't a strong finish in the pool. However, I did end up being quite a bit faster than what I predicted based on my last time trial (based on the time trial I should have been at 14:30 if I held that same pace).
What would you do differently?:

I would start off more conservatively instead of trying to catch the person ahead of me right off the hop.
Transition 1
  • 01m 1s
Bike
  • 43m 57s
  • 22 kms
  • 30.03 km/hr
Comments:

I think the bike went fairly well. There was one girl in front of me the whole race by probably 10 - 20 meters or so. I did at one point consider trying to see if I could surge to pass her but we were going at about the same speed for the whole race so I wanted to conserve some energy. Based on the distance between us, I could tell that I was a lot stronger in the head winds than she was as I would gain some distance, but she was able to gain some speed during some of the more winding areas of the race course. I was using a tri bike and I absolutely loved riding it for the race! It was pretty smooth. My only areas of trouble were I am not very confident switching to and from arrow position and I can't take turns in arrow position. I was also struggling a bit with changing gears which may have not allowed me to take advantage of some extra speed.

Based on the level of fatigue, I think I probably could have been a little more aggressive on the bike than I was. I also would like to practice bike handling a little more if I am doing a race on a tri bike again (I only got this bike a week before the race, so only was on it a handful of times). Overall, the race was good but I would like to focus on getting quicker on the bike to take advantage of my quads.
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Run
  • 26m 17s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 16s  min/km
Comments:

I was happy that I was able to run the full 5km without taking walking breaks considering that I have not been able to train running due to my injury, and my longest constant run prior to today was 3km. I think I went out a little to aggressively because I passed one girl within the first quarter of the first lap and she later passed me again (same girl as the swim actually). By the end of the run I felt like I was completely out of gas and I wasn't able to maintain the same speed or energy as running in Living Sky. I did bring my focus to trying to run with good technique, but whether or not it was effective it is hard to tell.

Hopefully I will be able to train running more before the next race! Maybe I will try to pick what split I want to maintain for the race and start there instead of what I did, which was start at a really great pace (I looked at my watch and it was at 5:05-5:10) and then as I fatigued (i.e., after going up the stairs in particular) it was hard to get the speed back up. One other thing I need to do is practice running more on grass. I found that running on the non-paved portions of the course I was a lot slower than on the paved portions.
Post race
Warm down:

I forgot to do a proper warm-down. I did go for a bit of a walk.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Coming off of an injury and not being at my physical best was probably the biggest factor in my performance today. I was pretty disappointed with the run, even though I knew going into it that it would be a struggle. I also know I still have a long way to go if I want to get to the level I hope I can compete at.

Last updated: 2017-08-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:15 | 750 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 13/56
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri Suit
Course: Wascana Swimming Pool - 50 yards length. 15 lengths total.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 19C / 66F Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:01
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:57 | 22 kms | 30.03 km/hr
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 17/56
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: We went around the same loop 4 times around Wascana Lake. There were areas of the race that were a bit bumpy, but a lot more of the race was really smoothly paved. There were also quite a number of turns in this race and a couple of areas where the road was windy through Wascana Park.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:17 | 05 kms | 05m 16s  min/km
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 26/56
Performance: Below average
Course: Did two 2 km loops and one 1 km loop. The 2km loops took you down a hill, along a path, then you turned and ran in some wood chips until you met up with the paved path, You continued along and hit some stairs, and once you hit the loop back you ran on grass for a little while. The third loop cut out the first bit along the path and back through the wood chips and instead of continuing on the grass to loop back, you ran onto the road and to the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?