Warrensburg Parks and Recreation
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m 40s
Overall Rank = /89
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:45am, which was a bit rough after being out at the Chiefs preseason game last night. Only got about 4.5 hours of sleep, but thankfully I can do that every once in a while and be ok.
Shaved and then got some breakfast (granola cereal and juice), cranked up the volume on my playlist, and ran through my race gear list one more time. (Phew - it's all still there!)
Left the house at 5:15am in order to be down to the race by 6:15-6:30am, picking up a friend from HS/college along the way since we're hanging out together afterwards (he lives in Warrensburg).
Event warmup:

Got my transition area set up and went for a short jog. Then, went up to the pool and swam a couple laps. Everything felt good, loose, and ready to roll.
Swim
  • 05m 50s
  • 300 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

So, getting swam over in a pool swim was NOT what I anticipated having to deal with. Somehow, possibly because I registered/signed up early, I got seeded #1! I knew I would get passed by at least 3-4 swimmers, and expected it. But when one of them was passing me, he drifted left and ended up swimming onto me, pushing me down into the water. It took me probably 50m to recover from that, which was sad, really, because I was actually swimming quite well until that point.
What would you do differently?:

My actual swimming was dialed in nice and I was flowing very smoothly. I would make sure I am properly seeded for the swim next time. They had a lot of late registrations so they had trouble seeding the swim start.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

I was a bit miffed coming out of the pool, so I took my time to calm down and settle back into my groove. I'm glad I did. I did have a bit of trouble getting going on the bike as the mounting space was uphill. It was very awkward, but once I got rolling, I was good.

I normally run/jog into/through transition, but because of the swim, I needed to chill out and calm down, so I made myself take it easy. I'm not upset with a 2:15 transition, though, as everything else went super smooth!
Bike
  • 50m 59s
  • 12 miles
  • 14.12 mile/hr
Comments:

I am super pleased with my bike time, especially on this course. It had a lot of rolling hills, and I'm normally not a good hill climber. Today I was!! I only got passed by 4-5 other cyclists, and I even managed to pass 1-2 myself. I forgot to put my water/Gatorade mix on my bike, which set me up for some challenges on the run. Otherwise, I am thrilled that I nailed my bike time!!

I forgot to put my water bottle on when I left the car, so I was probably nearing low-level dehydration by the time I finished and got ready for the run. Other than that, this was a perfect ride, in my opinion.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

Nailed it!!!!! I had a perfect T2 for me, possibly my best yet. I got to the race early enough to pick my spot almost first, so I was very close to the in/out of Transition. Everything went super smooth and I was on the run before I knew it!

Not a thing - this was perfect!!!
Run
  • 33m 1s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 36s  min/km
Comments:

So here is where things fell apart. :( I'm super frustrated because I went into the race with the mindset of "have a solid ride in preparation for a flawless run". Well, we all know how that works out sometimes!!! Less than 300' into the run, both calf muscles cramped up BAD! I stopped and stretched them out, and they behaved the rest of the day.

Because I didn't drink on the bike, I knew I had to be smart and take it easy, and had to back off my pace a couple times early on because I kept pushing towards 9:15/mile pace, which is much faster than I had been training. I got through the first 3-4 hills with some speed walking as needed, and finally things knocked loose and I started feeling comfortable. I hit the aid station at the half way point, drank some water and walked a few feet, and then took off again. At mile 2.5 I got a side-stitch from you-know-where. I drug that side stitch all the way to the finish line, unfortunately.

Overall, my pacing was spot-on once I settled in, but I could have definitely done without the side-stitch. Without that, I think I could have probably finished very close to 30 minutes for the run.

I only got passed by 3-4 runners out there, which did make me feel better about it all.

Drink on the bike like I had planned, so as to avoid possible dehydration, cramps, and side-stitches. I also think it would have been good to stretch a bit before taking off, just to ward off the cramping muscles. Otherwise, the run was good.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water, stretched a bit, and then just hung out, cheering on the other finishers. They had the kids triathlon events shortly after ours, and it was fun to watch them do it!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

As mentioned above, I forgot my water/Gatorade on the bike, which I think played into it.
Also, for only training for 9-10 weeks, I think is probably the best (+/-) I could have done, so I'm not really complaining. I definitely had a 1:30.00 finish in me, had i not cramped up or got the side stitch.
Next year I will be sure to do more bricks.

Event comments:

This was a very well-organized race in a nearby college town. They had great volunteer staff who were very friendly and helpful. The transition are was clean and tidy, and well organized. My only gripe, really, was that I was seeded wrong for the swim, but I don't think it made that much of an overall difference in my race to get too worked up over it.
I will definitely mark this on my calendar for next year!!! It was a good "welcome back" race for me, and I am so glad I did it!!!

Last updated: 2017-07-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:50 | 300 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/89
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Outdoor lap pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:15
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:50:59 | 12 miles | 14.12 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Rolling hills out into the country east of Warrensburg. Out and back loop, pretty much.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:01 | 05 kms | 06m 36s  min/km
Performance: Average
Course: VERY hilly!!!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2017-08-15 7:52 AM

User image

Subject: WPR and 98.5 The Bar Triathlon

2017-08-15 8:51 AM
in reply to: #5226283

User image

Aledo, Texas
Subject: RE: WPR and 98.5 The Bar Triathlon

Awesome job, mate! At least you intended to bring fluids for the bike and forgot - for my first, I decided not to bring fluids on the bike. You can chalk yours up to a snafu, I had to attribute mine to stupidity.

Keep after it!

2017-08-15 11:07 AM
in reply to: #5226283

User image

Elite

Sounded like a great race!  Getting swim trampled in the pool would have thrown me off too--used to it in open water, seems more aggressive in a pool for some reason!  Oopsy on the forgotten fluid on the bike. Better than me forgetting all my nutrition for the half Ironman back in May! Lol!  Sounded like a fun race in a all! Congrats!

2017-08-15 11:20 AM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

Thanks! It was a great race, and I'm very glad to be back! I'm hungry for more!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » WPR and 98.5 The Bar Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ormoc City Race the Bar 2016

Started by Nightbird95
Views: 640 Posts: 1

2016-10-03 8:43 PM Nightbird95

High Point Sprint Triathlon

Started by atuhro
Views: 989 Posts: 1

2016-08-16 8:53 AM atuhro