General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aqua Jogging Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-08-18 5:28 PM

Subject: Aqua Jogging
I'm thinking about trying aqua jogging. Wondering if anyone else is doing this and, if so, do you recommend any specific "gear," or just jump in and start running?

2017-08-18 6:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Aqua Jogging
I've been doing some lately due to a nagging injury--have been replacing my long/hard runs with it. Need for "gear" depends on how buoyant you are. Many lean runner types will need an aqua-jogging belt--it's made specifically for this. Not buoyant enough to be a flotation device, but enough to keep you upright in a good position. If the water is cold, you could probably wear a wetsuit instead, but pool chlorine is hard on those. More buoyant people might be able to jog without a belt. Basically, if you can go through a normal running motion in deep water while remaining upright (not hunching forward) for a reasonable period of time, you don't really need a belt. The belts come in a few different configurations--we have the "classic" ones at my school pool, so I use that. The "fit" model would probably be better for someone my size, though. There are other choices for muscular guys, bigger people, pregnant women, etc. A hat and sunglasses would also be a good idea for an outdoor pool, since you are face up, not face down as when swimming.

Some people stay in place, some move slowly around the pool. I don't think it matters as long as you are keeping running form as normal as possible. Water should be deep enough so your feet don't touch the bottom when you are "running".

It is pretty boring---this from someone who routinely does three-hour trainer rides. Find or make up structured workouts, like XX minutes hard/ XX minutes easy for XX cycles. I find it's easy to get heart rate up with "hard" stuff; heart rate tends to be lower with easy and moderate efforts than "real" running.So you can do pretty aggressive "intervals". If you have any kind of waterproof audio, it would be a great addition.

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-08-18 6:26 PM

(beltchart.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
beltchart.jpg (144KB - 7 downloads)
2017-08-19 1:42 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Aqua Jogging
Sorry for large pic--meant to just post the link!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aqua Jogging Rss Feed