General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Plan question - for a "big" 70.3 in 2018 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-08-23 8:03 AM

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud
Subject: Training Plan question - for a "big" 70.3 in 2018
Good afternoon/morning/evening,

I got such good feedback and help on my "swim anxiety" thread, I thought I'd beg for some more feedback/help.

Against my wife's better judgement, I am planning to race a 70.3 next year called the Aurlandsfjellet Extreme Triathlon in the mountains of Norway. The race organizers call it the toughest and most beautiful 70.3 in the world. A relative term to be sure If you have 20 minutes, their movie is well worth it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcH97o_1FzY

A couple of key points:

- The swim is a standard 1900m, but the temps are traditionally between 10-14C (ca 45-55F). I've now swum a couple of times in that range and it's cold, but not too crazy. So my plan was just to really focus on getting my technique better this winter...I'm slow

- The bike climbs 3200m (ca 10,500 ft) in 97km (ca 60 mi). One basically rides of Aurland Mountian, turns around at the bottom on the other side, and rides back up it again Both climbs are listed as HC.

- The "run" goes up Aurland Valley...which is a famous hike here in Norway. 1100m of climbing in the 21.1km (ca 3600 ft), and not a road in sight It is breathtaking.

So, not a totally normal 70.3. Which brings me to my question. Should I use 70.3 training plan, or would a full IM training plan perhaps fit better?

The reason I ask is because of the time requirements I see for the different plans. While I'm very committed to doing this race, 17+ training hours per week is outside the realm of reality for me I think. I can, in my estimation, swing about 12ish/week, with a perhaps a couple build weeks in the 15 hr range.

With that in mind, am I wasting my time thinking I can do a race like this with my limited training time available?

2017-08-23 11:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Ventura, California
Subject: RE: Training Plan question - for a "big" 70.3 in 2018

Sounds very much like the 'Alaska Man Extreme' which is indeed a full 140.6 Ironman.  http://www.akxtri.com/

In regards to your race there, I would say use the full IM training plan and tailor the hours to fit your abilities to commit. AND Hell no you are not wasting your time! Go big or go home! You just need to make sure the training plan you create for yourself is something you can stick to. Go for it and don't look back!

Cheers

Just watched the video, WOW! Truly a epic race. I have found my excuse to travel to Norway! 

Edited by rjcalhoun 2017-08-23 11:57 PM
2017-08-28 2:01 AM
in reply to: rjcalhoun

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud
Originally posted by rjcalhoun

Sounds very much like the 'Alaska Man Extreme' which is indeed a full 140.6 Ironman.  http://www.akxtri.com/

In regards to your race there, I would say use the full IM training plan and tailor the hours to fit your abilities to commit. AND Hell no you are not wasting your time! Go big or go home! You just need to make sure the training plan you create for yourself is something you can stick to. Go for it and don't look back!

Cheers

Just watched the video, WOW! Truly a epic race. I have found my excuse to travel to Norway! 

They share very similar website names. Must be that keyword "Extreme"! The Aurlandsfjellet race website: http://www.axtri.no Norseman, which is alos 140.6 and even crazier here in Norway is http://www.nxtri.no

Thanks for the tips. I've been daydreaming about this race, especially when training. Got the "green light" from my wife to put in the extra hours next year...so I'm a go. Just need to get a start number!

If you make it over here, let me know. I can help with the "navigation" around the country
2017-08-28 7:01 PM
in reply to: flyor64

User image

Franklin, TN

Oh.My.Goodness!  That gives me the willys just looking at some of those drop offs from the trails!  That being said, that would be a fun/great challenge...and it's so beautiful.

2017-08-28 10:59 PM

Master
Northern IL

There is also Swissman & Celtman. Norseman was the original of any of these mentioned though. For the cold, that is one to study. Both see what's allowed and what people have done there. Then see what works for you. Double swim caps, neoprene hoods. Some don't get along with the hoods at all, rubs face raw or other issues. Socks may or may not be allowed. Some can slow you down significantly though, so may not be worth it.

I wouldn't just look at the volume of the plans, but also the composition. With the tremendous amount of hills, I think it'll help to make sure and have some harder work in there too*, helps with both mental & physical aspects. Not all plans have that, goes for both distances though 70.3 would likely have some more. How close would the 70.3 plans come to filling up the time you can commit? A more advanced plan there may give more of what you need as it could do more than just tack on bigger volume. While important, it's not the only thing.

*more so for the bike as I think many tend to just hike up the mountain at the end of the run, even the fastest in the race.

2017-08-29 3:58 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud
Originally posted by brigby1

There is also Swissman & Celtman. Norseman was the original of any of these mentioned though. For the cold, that is one to study. Both see what's allowed and what people have done there. Then see what works for you. Double swim caps, neoprene hoods. Some don't get along with the hoods at all, rubs face raw or other issues. Socks may or may not be allowed. Some can slow you down significantly though, so may not be worth it.

I wouldn't just look at the volume of the plans, but also the composition. With the tremendous amount of hills, I think it'll help to make sure and have some harder work in there too*, helps with both mental & physical aspects. Not all plans have that, goes for both distances though 70.3 would likely have some more. How close would the 70.3 plans come to filling up the time you can commit? A more advanced plan there may give more of what you need as it could do more than just tack on bigger volume. While important, it's not the only thing.

*more so for the bike as I think many tend to just hike up the mountain at the end of the run, even the fastest in the race.

Thanks for the tips/advice. As I understand it, neo hoods and neo socks are always permitted...unless they have some freak warm-up (which they almost had this year). Gloves are the only item they say to bring, but may not be permitted. I'm guessing temps in the 10-12c range would warrant swim-gloves. Don't know. FWIW, the neo hood does not seem to bother me (I've used it and the booties during early season open water swims). One thing I did notice, was many folks swam with wool base-layers or the newer neoprene underclothes, and appears they fully changed clothes for the bike. This obviously would add oodles of time to T1 but I've been thinking on it seriously...for the potential 10 min+ lost in T1, the comfort on the bike leg could well be worth that! The fast guys/gals wore tri-suits, and I think they wore them under their wetsuits (could be mistaken), but their times are very impressive...and nowhere near what I'm looking at!

Where I live is quite hilly, so I tend to get some good climbing in just by proximity. Both running and cycling. We have some really good, moderately steep stuff in the immediate vicinity that I do hill-repeats on. I hate them But had already been thinking of kicking up my climbing meters/week significantly next spring after a good winter base. I agree on the run. It's likely to be an agressive hike, with some running here and there on the flatter/easier parts. I have no problem with that! I think it will be better that way in order to enjoy the scenery anyway! I'll focus bike and swim, since swimming is by far my weakest discipline.

2017-08-29 7:45 AM

Master
Northern IL

Sounds like you're getting a good handle on things!

I think many tend to do the tri suit as a baselayer for the race, but other countries may be less restrictive on changing too. If you catch yourself looking to rush through a transition, remember that it's not just for a little more comfort, but for being able to finish the race. Some of the Norseman conditions can be ~40F and raining, which is prime hypothermia weather. That's not meant to scare so much, just to make sure to take the minute to make a good decision and put on what you need. This one isn't a full, but is still going to be a long time out there.

2017-08-29 8:21 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud
Originally posted by brigby1

...but other countries may be less restrictive on changing too. If you catch yourself looking to rush through a transition, remember that it's not just for a little more comfort, but for being able to finish the race.

Agreed! and thanks. One of the coldest times of my life was doing a long distance bike race here and getting caught in the rain and about 8-10c (¨45f) for over 2 hours. It was absolutely miserable. I don't intend to do that again. Given that it can be close to freezing temps at the top of the mountain and the descents will be stupid fast, i.e. cold, I'm thinking starting the bike completely dry and with a couple of layers is the smart play. Plus, I ride faster when I'm happy Not freezing = happy!

The races I've done so far have had strict "no nudity" policies so I assume if folks are changing completely in T1, then Aurland ROs would also have a changing tent.

Another thing I was thinking about is the rear cassette. I run an 11-23 normally, but thinking I'll put the biggest cassette I can squeeze in there for this race. Shimano makes an Ultegra 12-30 that may just be the ticket with those ramps...
2017-08-29 2:56 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I recommend reading the two most recent blog posts here: 

https://rappstar.com/2017/08/28/challenge-iceland-2017/

https://rappstar.com/2017/08/18/norseman-2017/

Jordan Rapp is a pro triathlete so certainly some of his advice on training and gear would not apply to everyone, but it still interesting.   For instance, the swim - "always earplugs" in addition to the neoprene cap.

Hope this helps!

X

2017-08-30 2:03 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud
Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

I recommend reading the two most recent blog posts here: 

https://rappstar.com/2017/08/28/challenge-iceland-2017/

https://rappstar.com/2017/08/18/norseman-2017/

Jordan Rapp is a pro triathlete so certainly some of his advice on training and gear would not apply to everyone, but it still interesting.   For instance, the swim - "always earplugs" in addition to the neoprene cap.

Hope this helps!

X

Thanks for links! I will definitely read both

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Plan question - for a "big" 70.3 in 2018 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IM Texas in 2018?

Started by kalish
Views: 1986 Posts: 13

2017-06-01 10:52 AM kalish

Training plan question - trading RPE zones for HR zones

Started by hiddendriveways
Views: 958 Posts: 2

2017-04-14 10:29 PM Baowolf

70.3 Cycling Training Plan

Started by Johnnyk1982
Views: 1121 Posts: 4

2017-03-19 12:52 PM trigal38

IM NC 70.3 - wetsuit question

Started by LanceCarter
Views: 1288 Posts: 4

2016-08-23 11:19 AM Ned42

Injured while training for 70.3 - training advice?

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 2099 Posts: 4

2016-12-11 8:59 PM alicefoeller
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Subscribe to your favorite forums and threads!