United States
61F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 58m 37s
Overall Rank = 12/116
Age Group = M55-59
Age Group Rank = 5/12
Pre-race routine:

Got a local hotel in Warwick so we could be close. Mike was lucky to get someone to cover his shift and we were both lucky to have Denise with us to do pretty much everything. She was always double checking to make sure we were doing all the right things. We did everything by the book-400-500 calories; shower; coffee; all good. Then Mike says he is 'out of gas' so we deter for miles to find a station. A bit late to the venue, but all good. DW and I had our tensions raised at that, but it worked out. I get too tense for these things, really.
Event warmup:

Confirm registration. Body marking. Set up transition. Warm up swim-in the nearly continuous seaweed. No worries! Start out to the side and tell myself a thousand times to 'stay relaxed'.
Swim
  • 07m 19s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was stoked about being able to swim from the 'front' and the side and not have issues. The real swimmers made a bee line past my left. Mike said he was fighting and elbowing people, and he was a minute faster. Big scrum on the inside. I'm not ready for that shit.
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1942666341/5
What would you do differently?:

NOTHING!
Transition 1
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

I ROCKED this transition. Gained at least 10-12 spots. My wife said I was 'speedy' and she again couldn't even be ready for a picture.

NOTHING!
Bike
  • 29m 9s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 21.61 mile/hr
Comments:

7 OA on the bike makes me happy. But I could have gone faster..Mechanical crap should not happen like this. Flat, get run off the course-those are unexpected but this should have been fixed but I didn't have time. That is on me.

Fix my bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

I did pretty good coming into transition. The pebbly rocks put a number of people to the ground, according to my wife. I had loosened my shoes and ran with the bike to transition but miscounted and went into the wrong rack-off by one. It only cost me 5 seconds. Went one more and stripped helmet/shoes and got the run stuff and was gone. I don't think I've ever had any transition under 40 seconds. :)

NOTHING!
Run
  • 20m 40s
  • 2.9 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Just felt I had nothing to give. Tried to push and did the usual tricks of counting down from 50, matching cadence and running like my hair was on fire. Nothing worked. I was dead and tired. Left it all out there.

If I had more time for recovery, a few harder brick efforts would have helped.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the line and went right to the ground. My wife was talking to me for a few minutes before I understood anything she was saying. That was hard and the beauty of these is that I'll be better within a week. Long course is too debilitating.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough speed sharpening stuff.

Event comments:

I'll give the race high marks, but there is still lots that can be done better. The swim is protected but should be split into two men's waves. The run is totally protected within the park and is challenging-I love that even though I hated it during the race. The bike needed better markings. I heard 4 people went off course. This is the 5th year, so they should have that down better. BIG signs with BIG arrows-it's not that hard. Results were quick and I did enjoy the overall venue. It could build with very little work. My AG is pretty intense down here. 12 OA, but 4 in AG, damn. I made the podium because number 1/2/3 in my AG were 3/4/5 OA. I've got some work to do!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2017-08-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:19 | 440 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/12
Overall: 35/116
Performance: Good
It ain't a record, but it was a GREAT effort and I'll take this every day. My wife was so surprised that I didn't even get a photo of the front of me-ha!
Suit: Helix sleeveless-w cut legs now
Course: Inverted triangle. Seemed about 400 yards or a bit shorter. Two buoys, counterclockwise. Sun to your right for the first leg-otherwise, no worries.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:48
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:29:09 | 10.5 miles | 21.61 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/12
Overall: 7/116
I lost a bit of bike fitness and speed in the past few weeks to month, but it was expected. To make things worse, I couldn't stand up and grind without my chain jumping and slamming my quad into the aerobar, which I did AGAIN today. It's about the 3rd time I did it and I have a hematoma on my left quad, and a smaller one on my right quad. Then my PM gave out and started to read 80 watts while I'm super fast spinning up hills which are killing me. So NO useful data for the bike. Oh, well, grind it out.
Wind: None
Course: Perfect weather day! Very sketchy coming out of transition onto the pebbles and then it becomes a path then twisty, hilly road abound the lake. There were several big hills and the biggest ones we did TWICE. Yuck. Had to stay left as the road was beat up pretty bad in most places.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 89
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:40 | 02.9 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/12
Overall: 23/116
yeah, it was hilly and I was dying-for the record. Passed by several people, which is pretty unusual for me. I don't care if they are in their 20's, it still annoys me.
Course: Around the lake-counter clockwise. Up, up/down/up and up for the first half then down, down/up/down for the rest. Rolling with the bigger hills in the middle just sucking the energy out of you. Weather was perfect. The entire run is shaded and that helped further.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes