General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The mental game Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-09-01 7:39 AM

Subject: The mental game
I didn't realize how important mental health was/is to this sport until I didn't have it. I started triathlons 12 years ago and quickly became addicted. It was my life, and my families, from the age of 37-47. I completed 10 IMs including Hawaii twice, and over 20 halves and countless shorter distances. I was hooked. Then on a training ride at 11:30a I was hit by drunk driver who had no insurance no liscence, an open container and loaded gun - yes I was in Texas. I as lucky coming away with a broken shoulder, I don't remember the accident but I am still in constant pain. I did rebound and did half and full distance race with the IM Texas in May 2015. But tsince then I've done nothing - except gained 35 pounds. I have been trying to get back into the game for years now and to say it's slow and simply frustrating. I've finally turned a corner and believe I am getting back some focus and drive to want to put the effort back into the sport. To those of you who are struggling - please take note that the mental part of just getting yourself to the gym, group workout, or better diet decisions is huge milestone. Don't discount it and give yourself a gold star.

2017-09-01 8:18 AM
in reply to: biker

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: The mental game
Originally posted by biker

I didn't realize how important mental health was/is to this sport until I didn't have it. I started triathlons 12 years ago and quickly became addicted. It was my life, and my families, from the age of 37-47. I completed 10 IMs including Hawaii twice, and over 20 halves and countless shorter distances. I was hooked. Then on a training ride at 11:30a I was hit by drunk driver who had no insurance no liscence, an open container and loaded gun - yes I was in Texas. I as lucky coming away with a broken shoulder, I don't remember the accident but I am still in constant pain. I did rebound and did half and full distance race with the IM Texas in May 2015. But tsince then I've done nothing - except gained 35 pounds. I have been trying to get back into the game for years now and to say it's slow and simply frustrating. I've finally turned a corner and believe I am getting back some focus and drive to want to put the effort back into the sport. To those of you who are struggling - please take note that the mental part of just getting yourself to the gym, group workout, or better diet decisions is huge milestone. Don't discount it and give yourself a gold star.

Thanks for sharing and welcome back to the sport!
2017-09-01 1:36 PM
in reply to: biker

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Subject: RE: The mental game

Welcome back. Stay strong
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The mental game Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Triathlon video game for smartphones and tablets

Started by Mikazz