Other Resources The Political Joe » Weather hype Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-09-11 10:46 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Weather hype
I could not help but watch on and off all weekend the build up to the 'catastrophic devastation as has never been seen before'. I watched reporters standing in the middle of the wind and rain begging people to leave and acting as if anyone that was not leaving was simply putting first responders in harms way as they would have to be rescued. I heard that narrative over and over and over. "If you don't leave, don't expect someone to come save you." "We are expecting up to 20' storm surge....that is more than 2 times my height!" "Look at this, a tree limb in the road." "Two (of the 30 or so) cranes in Miami has collapsed....no one was injured" "Look, water on the road!"

I kept looking and waiting to see the train wreck that never happened....even though they said all thru it that it was happening. I was expecting to see scenes like Houston with houses underwater but all I saw were headline that 3 million people (out of FL's 20 million) had lost power! **Gasp**

I know the story....if we don't take every one of the hurricane warnings serious people are so stupid they will get themselves killed for not listening to the next one.

I understand people that live in mobile homes need to head to a shelter and single story houses on or near the beach are probably not safe but most of the homes in FL tend to be block houses and are pretty solid.

Oh well, news media is a business and they are out to make money. So if they can flash "breaking news" across the screen for 48 hrs they will do it!

They interviewed this one guy was having a beer in a bar and were trying to make him look bad by saying that 'first responders' would not be able so help him. He chuckled and said, "I'm former military....I can take care of myself."

2017-09-11 11:56 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Weather hype

Rog - do you not pay attention?  The damn thing is on it's way up toward you now.......you must leave at once....and leave all your chit at home in case folks who can't leave need it.   By Wed. it could be in Southeast Missouri as a tropical storm.  I may drive down there just to flee it's path when I get there.

2017-09-11 12:03 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

Rog - do you not pay attention?  The damn thing is on it's way up toward you now.......you must leave at once....and leave all your chit at home in case folks who can't leave need it.   By Wed. it could be in Southeast Missouri as a tropical storm.  I may drive down there just to flee it's path when I get there.

I know, this is serious! They have closed most all of the local schools! We are expecting up to 1.9" of rain tomorrow! I've seen pictures of a grocery store in Arab, AL (just south of Huntsville) wiped completely out of bread!

2017-09-11 12:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio

I know, this is serious! They have closed most all of the local schools! We are expecting up to 1.9" of rain tomorrow! I've seen pictures of a grocery store in Arab, AL (just south of Huntsville) wiped completely out of bread!

You do know that 1.9" of rain can ruin your shoes, right?  I mean, if you have loafers on it could surge over the top of them and cause nearly total devastation to your socks.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-09-11 12:09 PM
2017-09-11 12:09 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Rogillio

My favorite is the reporter standing in ankle deep water so he/she can tell you about the flooding. And standing in the wind with safety glasses and hard hats to demonstrate how strong 100 MPH winds are. All of this going on while the electrical lines are swinging in the background, just waiting to land in the water.

And then said reporter throws it back to the studio who tells the reporter how brave they are for standing in these conditions and then chastises the folks walking in the background for being outside, because "they could die". What a world!
2017-09-11 12:11 PM
in reply to: hessma

User image

Pro

Look!!!  Over there!!!  A tree is down!!! 

2017-09-11 12:53 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
I overheard someone on the elevator this morning say "Jefferson Country schools are all closed today....but the school busses are running."

LOL What a CF. What we have heah is a failure to communicate.....
2017-09-11 1:02 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio I overheard someone on the elevator this morning say "Jefferson Country schools are all closed today....but the school busses are running." LOL What a CF. What we have heah is a failure to communicate.....

You needed to have a discussion with that person:

Edited by Left Brain 2017-09-11 1:16 PM
2017-09-11 4:33 PM
in reply to: #5227875

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Ok, fine the media went a bit overboard in the round the clock coverage. But, remember Katrina, and the people that died because of 1) stupidity, 2) bad government execution, 3) poor preparation. We didn't see that happen here and if the media had some responsibility in that outcome then I say "well done"
I would like my power to come back on so I can take a shower. I expect the media to be here soon to televise my hardship
2017-09-11 6:31 PM
in reply to: #5227903

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Oh, and the phrase "ex military" like that is some sort of survival badge. My bro is ex-navy, highly challenged assembling a PBJ
2017-09-11 7:12 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Oysterboy

Ok, fine the media went a bit overboard in the round the clock coverage. But, remember Katrina, and the people that died because of 1) stupidity, 2) bad government execution, 3) poor preparation. We didn't see that happen here and if the media had some responsibility in that outcome then I say "well done"
I would like my power to come back on so I can take a shower. I expect the media to be here soon to televise my hardship

Yes, people left because of the coverage. A+ for that. But criticizing people for not leaving while standing in the very same spot you expect others not to be is a special kind of stupid.

2017-09-11 7:47 PM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by OysterboyOk, fine the media went a bit overboard in the round the clock coverage. But, remember Katrina, and the people that died because of 1) stupidity, 2) bad government execution, 3) poor preparation. We didn't see that happen here and if the media had some responsibility in that outcome then I say "well done" I would like my power to come back on so I can take a shower. I expect the media to be here soon to televise my hardship
Eh.....you can take a cold shower, that's what we did in the military when we had no hot water. .

Edited by Left Brain 2017-09-11 7:48 PM
2017-09-12 10:23 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I was listening to the news yesterday and they kept saying that Irma was the largest hurricane to ever hit the United States.  

There's being a little over zealous in coverage and then just making stuff up to scare people. 

2017-09-12 12:35 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Regular
Originally posted by tuwood

I was listening to the news yesterday and they kept saying that Irma was the largest hurricane to ever hit the United States.  

There's being a little over zealous in coverage and then just making stuff up to scare people. 

You mean like the MSNBC reporter saying "if you do not evacuate now, you will die!"? That kind of hype/scare tactic?
2017-09-12 1:15 PM

Master
, California

I think the scientific guys who model these storms really thought it was dangerous, just didn't know which path it would take.  Media hypes it sure, but we were also pretty lucky.

The damage in the carribean was harsh.  St. Croix lucked out, being a bit south of the path, but St. Martin was pretty much flattened and Richard Branson's island was destroyed with entire buildings just gone.  Good thing he has a few billion extra dollars I guess

2017-09-12 1:55 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by spudone

I think the scientific guys who model these storms really thought it was dangerous, just didn't know which path it would take.  Media hypes it sure, but we were also pretty lucky.

The damage in the carribean was harsh.  St. Croix lucked out, being a bit south of the path, but St. Martin was pretty much flattened and Richard Branson's island was destroyed with entire buildings just gone.  Good thing he has a few billion extra dollars I guess

I do poke at the news guys, but you're exactly right on the weather guys and scientists.  They have a really tough job because there's almost an infinite number of variables effecting these storms.  They certainly do need to err on the side of caution versus the other side.
The sad part is when they do get it wrong on a big scale people don't take them seriously the next time around when the storm does end up being serious.

2017-09-12 3:50 PM

Master
, California

I do poke at the news guys, but you're exactly right on the weather guys and scientists.  They have a really tough job because there's almost an infinite number of variables effecting these storms.  They certainly do need to err on the side of caution versus the other side.
The sad part is when they do get it wrong on a big scale people don't take them seriously the next time around when the storm does end up being serious.

Yeah I know what you mean about not wanting to cry wolf too many times.  I had relatives evacuate from Naples, FL (I prob would've done the same)... but several times in the past they have stayed put.  They aren't back yet so no idea what the property damage looks like, but I can imagine them saying "we stayed in 8 hours of traffic for this? bah!".

But a lot of times it's random stupid crap that gets people killed *after* big storms.  Power lines down in flooded areas electrocute people, stuff like that.  I'd rather just board things up and gtfo.

2017-09-12 5:25 PM
in reply to: #5227875

User image

Expert
Floriduh
This was really a helluva storm. I have lived through several hurricanes and they have always been a 24 hr or less event. We had cloud cover on this one for >36 hrs and 2 days of straight rain. Looks to me like Cuba took one for our team on this one, but the VI will need our help for a while
2017-09-12 10:41 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

But a lot of times it's random stupid crap that gets people killed *after* big storms.  Power lines down in flooded areas electrocute people, stuff like that.  I'd rather just board things up and gtfo.

This is exactly right. I don't really understand how some people have this desperate desire to stay put in situations like that. Use it as an excuse to go on vacation for 2 days. I heard too many stories when I was down in Houston about people walking into their backyard and getting electrocuted by a garden light that was still on. I saw people joy riding in inner tubes like the city was their own personal water park, right next to buildings where the power and lights were still on even though they were submerged in 8 feet of water. Quick way to get yourself roasted... Does the media hype it up? Of course, but like it was said earlier in here, there are just too many variables that can shape the movement and intensity of a hurricane. Why people decide to ride it out is still baffling to me.

2017-09-13 1:26 PM

User image

Buttercup
I don't even know where to begin responding to this. Maybe you just weren't paying attention, but here are a few of my random thoughts.I was watching and preparing for this since Labor Day weekend. The wind gust hit highs of over 200 miles per hour. Sustained wind speeds were in the 165 and 185 mile per hour range for days. The hurricane force winds extended 80 miles from the center. That means that if it came up the center of the state no part of the state was safe from Hurricane force winds. A great deal of the Florida peninsula 160 miles wide or less. There was nowhere to hide on the peninsula.I think it was Monday night maybe Tuesday night at the latest I was online at 2 a.m. looking for hotel in Tallahassee to escape to. Within 20 minutes the hotels were booked up. I was not the only one who had been reading the latest advisory from the National Hurricane Center apparently. I looked in Cairo Georgia and Valdosta, they were also booked. By the next day I heard that Atlanta hotels were full. And that's because hurricane was so big and everybody knew there was no safe area between the east coast and the West Coast. People here didn't wait for the government to tell them to get out, they simply put their evacuation plan in place and got out. I'm glad for that. 16 million Floridians we're going to be in the path of the hurricane.By Monday of this week 64% of the state did not have electricity. As of today 37% of accounts do not have electricity. That doesn't mean 37% of the people, but 37% of accounts which equates to many more than 37% of the people. Haha haha take cold showers, except for the people in nursing homes and assisted living facilities who have no power and are suffering a great deal in this heat. There are many nursing homes reporting that their generators aren't working. 6 people died in a nursing facility from the Heat so far. Generators at gas stations aren't there even though the gas is so people trying to return home can't get gas where there is gas. Other gas stations are simply out of gas. We are still being told to minimize our water use I'm not to flush the toilet too much or take showers because the water plant is not at capacity and the sewage made backupFlooding has been devastating Miami Jacksonville St Augustine and now Gainesville. In fact I-75 is in danger of being closed due to a rising River in Alachua County. In Hillsborough County where Tampa is located the Alafia River is flooding and it is flooding the Lithia Spring as well people homes are underwater. And of course Marco Island wasn't just flooded along with the keys it was just devastated like a bomb went off a very big bomb. This is what we were worried could happen where we live because we're right on the coast, as well as Tampa Bay or anywhere it made landfall. So we're very very very thankful and grateful that it didn't make landfall in one of our big cities because it would have just been the very definition of catastrophic.I am very lucky as are my neighbors that we had very minor damage with branches down and minor damage to our screen on a pool cage. Our sailboat which I fully expected would be demolished if the hurricane came up this Coast is just fine. The power was out here for about 18 hours I think but we had planned not to be able to use it anyway. What a treat that the air conditioning is actually on. We have friends in Pinellas County which is north of here and includes St Petersburg who still do not have power. We have friends in Tampa that don't have power. We have family in Palm Beach that don't have power still. This becomes a problem when you can't keep food cold but restaurants are opening, so where there is no electricity there are no traffic lights and that has been a problem.Hurricanes are unpredictable. For days it looked like Irma would skirt the East Coast then it was going to skirt the West Coast then it was going to go straight up the middle then it was going to hit the keys then skirt the West Coast, then it looked like it would go un the middle and up into Atlanta. At about 11:30 at night after everybody had gone to bed except for me and my dog I realized that Norma had shifted further east, bypassing Tampa but slamming into Polk County which is where Bartow and Lakeland are. That put Irma's Northeast quadrant - the most powerful part - right where we were, having evacuated and staying with friends in Champions Gate. I got up and positioned some essential items in the bathroom and put the leash on my dog and the cat carrier in the bathroom so that we could all huddle in there in the event it came right at us within the next 3 hours. Then we waited until the I was north of us.Had the hurricane actually skirted the West Coast and slammed into Tampa we would have had significant surge and it would have destroyed not just our sailboat and the yacht club but also our home would have been flooded. Before evacuating we removed our artwork and put it in the laundry room and we took some things that had such sentimental value we didn't want to lose them. When I left the house I expected it to be a wreck when we got back. All it takes is for one window to be broken and the wind to rush into the house which lifts the roof causing the walls to fall in. 80% of wind damage to a home comes through a garage door which again lifts the roof and the walls fall in. Fortunately we have a brand new, strong garage door. I am still recovering from the physical exhaustion from our ordeal, I wasn't even sure what day it was today. I'm having back spasms from the flurry of physical work it took to prepare the house. And yet I am one of the lucky ones because we have no damage to speak of and we have electricity. I feel so sad for the people who lost everything. My thoughts are a little disjointed because I am dictating this on my tablet instead of typing on my keyboard for my desktop. I have not reassembled my computer which I had stored away before we left. I think two nights ago was the first night I slept through the night since Labor Day weekend; for a week I was up three times every night checking the NOAA website. This has been the most harrowing ordeal I think I've ever experienced. This wasn't my first or even second evacuation but it was the scariest by far. But we're safe and I'm grateful.............. I don't know why my paragraph marks disappeared. Sorry for the massive paragraph, but I can't seem to fix it on my tablet.
2017-09-13 1:39 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Wow Renee, I can't even imagine having to deal with all that.  Your perspective form somebody who wasn't catastrophically effected (didn't lose house) helps us all understand the impact a lot better.

I'm really glad to hear that you and your fur babies are safe!

On a side note BT really sucks on mobile devices.  The only way to to get a carriage return to work is to manually type in an html line break "BR" inside a greater than and less than symbol.
If you edit your post and put in double BR BR, each one inside a less than/greater than < >, where you want paragraph breaks it will clean it up

like this: https://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_br.asp

Edited by tuwood 2017-09-13 1:42 PM

2017-09-13 2:25 PM

User image

Buttercup
Over 7 million Floridians evacuated their homes. I don't think anyone died during the evacuation. People couldn't have been nicer or more helpful to each other during this period, what I saw. My husband, Alan, who is still a relative newcomer and has never evacuated for a hurricane, was so impressed by the way people behaved and the way the state responded from the First Responders to the Emergency Management to the utilities planning. South Florida government does take hurricane preparation and evacuations very seriously and they're very good at making it happen. With social media I was able to follow a number of meteorologists and I was very impressed with their diligence and seriousness. Twitter was a very efficient platform for following Emergency Management, meteorologists, the National Hurricane Center, First Responders and traffic news.
2017-09-13 11:36 PM

User image

Pro

Renee- since you referenced my shower comment, I ing will just say that I'm happy most people in Florida are OK....truly.

I'm glad your screened in pool was barely damaged and your sailboat is ok. I am sorry you have to post this on your tablet since your computer isn't hooked up.....that's horrible.

I once stood in the street at 630 am on a Sunday with my 7 week old boy in one arm, and the other around my wife, and watched our home burn to the ground. I can't describe the feeling to this day. It ended up being one of the best experiences of my life.  I learned that bad things happen and you can lose everything you own in the blink of an eye.....including your life. I also learned that I really didn't have any problems at all, the next weekend, when we were watching the news and saw a story of a fire where an entire family perished. I have lived every day of my life since that day like I didn't have a single problem. I learned to do that by losing everything and being so grateful for the two things I didn't lose.  (we once had no electric here, for a week after a tornado that hit close by, in August in the midwest!!... and our pool actually turned green, so I know the devastation you feel)

A hurricane hit Florida...as they have been doing since that piece of land existed.  That's the trade off for living on a beautiful coast in relative luxury.  I know you know that, and I know in a year or so most of it will be rebuilt and life will go on, just like it always has.  I know you will be grateful that nearly an entire country has mobilized to help you and your neighbors.  I know you will be grateful that fathers and mothers have left their children to go spend weeks helping people they never met.....I know they are there because some of them are friends of mine.  I know you will feel devastated that people will die from all of this.  That is horrible.....truly.  Hundreds more are dying around the country every day from a variety of reasons....all horrible for those who love them. I could go on and on about the feelings that go through your mind when you go through a traumatic experience and your life is turned up side down. You'll be fine. You'll be better than fine.

Believe me, I realize that some who read this, and maybe you, will have a "how dare he" attitude about this post, and I get it.  In a while, you'll get me too, and go on with your life stronger for your experience.  That's how life goes. Luckily you all live in the greatest country in the world and the calvary is on it's way. Be grateful.....you really don't have a single problem.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-09-13 11:56 PM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Weather hype Rss Feed  
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 1, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Spreadsheets for cold weather clothing