DQ Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 3s
Overall Rank = 51/195
Age Group = M 45 - 49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Last second race as I signed up to do it with a friend who is just getting into the sport. Was at Billy Joel in Philly the night before and while I behaved I still didn't get home to bed until close to 1. Then to top it off my daughter had some bad coughing fits at night that woke me and I helped her get settled back in so about 2 and 1/2 hours sleep is perfect! I had everything packed the night before so just grabbed my bagel and drinks and off I went as the venue is only 15 minutes from my house. First had to get my daughter up as she was going with my friends family to watch me race.
Event warmup:

Didn't have a lot of time so got set up, hit the port and then wetsuit on. Since nothing appeared to be moving that quickly took a quick out and back to the buoy to get used to water temp. Probably wouldn't do that again as was quite cold out of the water at that point. Once we were finally in the water for our start we were delayed while they waiting for the rescue boat to come back as it pulled 3 folks out of the 1st wave pretty quickly. While we were standing/treading a guy in our wave actually started to go under and had to be rescued by a diver and a very helpful participant. Lots of newbies here and just from listening pre-race not many had bothered to find any open water before the race.
Swim
  • 10m 36s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

For me actually a pretty decent and uneventful swim. Since there were a lot of newbies decided I wanted to start a bit further in front than normal and it ended up being perfect. The fast people stayed in front of me obviously and I only had to navigate around or with a few people the whole swim.
What would you do differently?:

Not much as I had the 55th best swim which is crazy for me but speaks more to the amount of newbies than me :-( Of course I could always have a little confidence in myself and actually push in the swim but I can never bring myself to do it.
Transition 1
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Very good T1 for me as I had applied lots of glide to my legs and suit came off easily. I hadn't racked in the most efficient place as it was down a row all the way at the end but I did that purposely so I could say hi to Nicole during transitions so we had a little chat while I got the suit off and bike stuff on.

Probably not chat but only the 2nd race my daughter has made it to so any seconds it cost me are well worth it.
Bike
  • 39m 5s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 17.19 mile/hr
Comments:

Yuck. Just a horrible time for this bike leg. Strangely I felt like I was moving ok but frankly it was pretty lonely out there so I guess my mind just wandered a bit and it showed with the time. Part of it is I'm guessing I've been training to pace for a 1/2 Iron next weekend so not used to flooring it which probably bit me some here. Definitely a lot of different types of bikes and people all over the road, side by side, etc. but didn't let it bother me as it is a smaller race with new direction and frankly it is good to get the new folks out here. They'll get some of the rules eventually I'm sure. Probably wouldn't feel the same way if I was really competing for a spot in any group.

Push it! Like I shouted at myself audibly at one point it is a spring for chrissakes no need to rest!
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

By far my worst overall ranking but like T1 more by design than execution. Easily got my bike settled and into running gear but gave Nicole a hug and kiss over the fencing. She of course wanted a report on my friend and after a few seconds I shouted I gotta go just watch for him!
Run
  • 25m 5s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

This went about perfect for me as I wanted to get a good workout in but not come out of this to sore or banged up with AC 70.3 next Sunday. First half or so I knew I felt pretty lively (that's what happens when life intervenes the prior 3 days and my legs are rested!) but was staying under control. At the half way I said screw it and picked up the pace a bit and really felt good all the way to the finish. I almost for sure could've pr'd this sprint tri 5K if I would've went out hard right away but that wasn't the plan so no complaints.

Nothing really. Didn't want to risk anything bad with the race coming up and I really enjoyed the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Nicole met me after the chute and we walked to grab a water and I grabbed a few of the goldfish cups for her and her friends/neighbors who were waiting for my friend to finish. It's a different feeling after a sprint than the longer races. I was way more winded but body wise not as beat up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me and next week.

Event comments:

I want to qualify my ratings as I really did enjoy the race and hope to do it again next year. I think this is the 5th out of 10 times I've done it and the 3rd or 4th group organizing it. There was nothing really bad about it just more of a small feel vs. the bid ultra-organized events that are around. Everyone was super helpful and positive and I'm sure will learn and improve as they continue on.

Last updated: 2017-09-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:36 | 500 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/195
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: Kind of an R shaped course with all buoys on the right.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:49
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:05 | 11.2 miles | 17.19 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:05 | 03.1 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2017-09-11 3:09 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: Hightstown Tri/Du/Aqua
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hightstown Tri/Du/Aqua Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hightstown Triathlon

Started by swim114
Views: 666 Posts: 1

2017-09-10 9:39 PM swim114

Pat Griskus-Sprint (Oly/DU/Sprint-options)

Started by dtoce
Views: 1200 Posts: 1

2017-06-19 7:14 AM dtoce

LA Tri Series #3 - Tri Express Distance

Started by tcovert
Views: 1208 Posts: 1

2017-05-13 9:51 PM tcovert

Cinco Du Mayo Duathlon - Short Course

Started by stevestenzel
Views: 1000 Posts: 1

2017-05-10 4:23 PM stevestenzel

Hightstown Triathlon