General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run Does Get Easier Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-09-20 11:25 AM

Subject: Run Does Get Easier
I just wanted to thank you all for your wonderful training advice. I started tris two years ago at age 52 after not having run for decades and with zero cycling experience. The run during my first triathlon was difficult and painful. However, BT told me to focus on developing my cycling fitness and the run would get easier. Well, 2 years later I have made small but steady improvements on the run. In fact, I just did a race on Sunday, (AG win), and the run felt great! I never would have believed I could feel so good on a run off the bike. Thank you again.

2017-09-20 1:11 PM
in reply to: onefinwonder

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Run Does Get Easier
Well done! And yes, this site is filled with good advice!
2017-09-21 1:36 PM
in reply to: onefinwonder

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by onefinwonder

I just wanted to thank you all for your wonderful training advice. I started tris two years ago at age 52 after not having run for decades and with zero cycling experience. The run during my first triathlon was difficult and painful. However, BT told me to focus on developing my cycling fitness and the run would get easier. Well, 2 years later I have made small but steady improvements on the run. In fact, I just did a race on Sunday, (AG win), and the run felt great! I never would have believed I could feel so good on a run off the bike. Thank you again.

Great to hear!

I have found that training bike/run bricks in ratios of 4:1 mileage effective (4 miles of bike for every mile of run).

Another technique is what I call a super-brick workout, effective for sprints and Olys or "power" training:

Ride X miles, Run Y mile, repeat Z times. For me X is somewhere between 2 and 4, Y is usually 1 and Z is 5 to 8. A really motivating workout.
2017-09-21 4:04 PM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

Cypress, Texas

This is a little off topic, but my run/bike experience hasn't been what I expected this year.  

I came from a strong running back ground but I did NOT run well off the bike.  My first race I tried to follow the 4:1 bike run rule in training and was expecting to have a run time about 15% over my open run times but the run leg was around 30% over my open run times.  Not what I expected.  Still my run times were at the front of the pack and my bike time were middle of the pack so I decided to do a bike focus between my first and 2nd Tri season.  I knew that I need to work on the bike and if improvements on the bike improved my run I figured it would be a win-win situation.  

The second season my bike had improved about 10% but my run had gone backwards to where I was about 35% over my open run times.  So I went back to a balanced focus in my third year and saw my bike times increase by 20% and my run times increase by about 10%.  My bike times were doing so well that I decided to got to run focus since my run times were still 25% over my open run times and I was starting to post better bike rankings in races than run rankings.  So after a few month of run focus my bike had improved again and my run had back slid again.  So...the more running I do the more I improve on the bike.  I was at about a 3:1 bike to run ratio while training for my last race and saw my bike rank jump forward another 10% while my run time was 30% over my open run time.  I will keep at it.  I am guessing I will be posting about a good run before too much longer.  Thanks for the post onefinwonder.  IT gives hope to the rest of us.  :-)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run Does Get Easier Rss Feed