General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri'umphant Losers - Support Thread starting 9/13 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2006-09-15 8:34 AM
in reply to: #538931

Veteran
Snellville
Subject: RE: Tri'umphant Losers - Support Thread starting 9/13

Just checking in, everything is going ok.  Ive got a little local 5k tomorrow morning that I and my 14 yo son are running.  Should be fun. 

Everyone have a great weekend!!!

2006-09-15 8:35 AM

Veteran
Fairfax, VA
Good morning everyone! I'm off to Ocean City MD today for the weekend. Hoping I can resist temptation for the entire trip or at least most of it! Don't want to gain back the 2 pounds I lost this week Hope everyone has a GREAT weekend. Good luck to everyone who is racing! See you Monday!
2006-09-15 8:48 AM

User image

Pro
Without house
Good morning everyone...work up with a headache to beat the band, but it's already disappating (I love Excedrin). I think it was worse while I was laying down, so being in an upright position is doing me some good (even though I REALLY don't feel like going to work today...ugh).

Yesterday and today are DOR for me...I don't really need 2, but that's how it works best w/ my couch to 5k program. I only have 2 more weeks left of that...yay! I have to go out and price bike racks that will work w/ my car (dodge stratus) so I can get that bike home so I can start working on that, too. The local triathlon store is having spinning classes that I'd like to look into, and I'd need the bike and a trainer. The pool is going to wait for a little bit until I can get around to joining a gym (going to need one for this winter anyway) and get some lessons going. I really need to work on the swimming if I have any chance of doing a tri and not panicking during that portion.

Well, I suppose I'd better be off...need to get ready for work, and my cat is bothering me, so sitting at the computer is evidently not something she wishes me to do...

Later!
2006-09-15 9:17 AM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA
Happy racing this weekend folks!

My eating choices were fair-to-middling yesterday. Lunch at the food court was over-filling. My eyes are still bigger than my stomach... proud to say that I did throw some of it away instead of eating it all. By dinner time, I was still mostly full from lunch. I had a 6" ham and turkey sandwich from Subway and some water. Very good choice!

Also woke up with a headache this morning, but Tylenol has it taken care of.

Trying to formulate my off-season goals this weekend. Training begins anew come Monday, I want to be absolutely sure that my body's ready to handle it.

I got an e-mail back from the St. Peter's RD and he's going to transfer my payment credit to their spring race! And they definitely want me to help volunteer as well. My husband had only one question for me when I told him that: "Am I supposed to come cheer you on with your volunteering?" - I told him that he should spend the quality time with his family instead. He said "Okay... just checking... because I could like cheer you on with your water stationing..."

Other things in life are starting to sort themselves out as well. I'm finishing up my Masters in Biology in May and I'm not entirely sure of what I'm doing after that... but I'm starting to get some information that will help me decide.

Happy Friday everyone!
2006-09-15 10:59 AM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Hey everyone...keeping in mind Sherri today during her surgery....
2006-09-15 11:48 AM

User image

Pro
Without house
Ooo...that's right...hope all goes well for her.

2006-09-15 12:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
Good wishes for her - surgery is not fun, even when everything goes perfectly.

I just loaded up on produce, and my house is fairly junk-free, so the weekend should go well.

I'm going to use the weekend to write up my submission to Shape's successful losers series. They usually like people to have maintained for at least two years, and I am at 2 1/2 almost. I also think that the tri thing is a nice angle. I just need to have a friend take some pictures and dig out a nice clear "before" picture. Keep your fingers crossed for me - I was so motivated by those entries when I was trying to lose, and I'd love to help motivate someone else.
2006-09-15 12:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany

hey summer, i'd like to see those before and after pictures too please... i always find them very inspiring...

yeah i hope everything goes well with sherri's OP.

i wanted to go for a swim today, but i layed down for a nap after work and woke up after 7pm... i have to be at the other apartment (only a few mins from here) around 8, so there was no time to go swimming

i don't really see it as skipped training though since it's not in my training plan and one day break will do me good too...

my back still hurts so bad and i can only turn my head in one direction.. ugh...

i'm glad to hear you're all ready for the weekend... good luck for the races!! and the others good luck for the food choices!! i know i'll need luck...

today we bought our tickets for a real madird soccer game on sunday... it'll be my third this year and i'm sooo excited!! i love soccer.. i can't play at all (even though it's fun) but i love to watch it and scream and yell that the player and the ref haha burs calories too, riht?  

2006-09-15 1:40 PM
in reply to: #542484

User image

Extreme Veteran

annabananamc - 2006-09-15 11:59 AM Hey everyone...keeping in mind Sherri today during her surgery....

Hey everyone!  The surgery went really well and I have been home since 12:30!!  Isn't that just amazing...I mean, seriously, I was home in 4.5 hours!!  Thank you for all the thougts, prayers , and inspires!  They really do mean a lot.

The plan from here is that I start walking Saturday.  I am on clearr liquids today, with very tiny sips.  Saturday I start back with full liquids and for the next two weeks my meals will be 4oz of a protein shake 3x/day.  Plus I'll be able to drink sugar free liquids and Jello.  After that I go to pureed for 2 weeks, then back to chewing regular, real food.

Thanks again everyone, it really has meant a great deal...Now I'm going back to bed!!

2006-09-15 2:35 PM

User image

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Yay Sherri, you sound so great! I'm so glad it went well and you're feeling good!
2006-09-15 4:46 PM

Regular
Congratulations on the outcome.  Please keep us posted on your progress.

2006-09-15 7:48 PM

User image

Expert
Twin Cities

Congratulations, Sherry!!  As was stated earlier, keep us posted on your progress, as we are cheering for you!!!

2006-09-16 5:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany

hey sherry!! i'm glad to hear everything went fine with your surgery... your liquid diet sounds like hell though.. i'd die without solid food haha but you'll make it... no worries here

i slept really well last night.. except that my roommate freaked me out cuz she was talking n her sleep all the time and i answered her for so many times till i realized that she's not awake.. i was like "wtf is wrong with her - why does she want to talk now???" lol

i have to go to the pharmacy to weigh myself but i'm scared and that's why i'm trying to find other things to do before i go...

but if it was good, i'll go and buy a new pair of jeans.. i don't have any pants that fit well anymore... except for my running pants...

for the ones that have already lost a lot of weight - how did you do that while you were losing weight? did you buy new stuff all the time, did you get it altered and what did you do with your old stuff?

i usually put my old stuff in one of the red cross containers, but not anymore since they had a program on tv telling what they really do with the stuff... i always thought some ppl who need it will get it for free but NO... in germany the red cross is renting the containers out to big second hand stores who sell the stuff for a lot of money... the red cross gets a little money for renting the containers out, but still...

i have tons of stuff in size 18/20 and some in 16 too and it's just sitting in my dresser cuz i have no clue what to do with it... if one of you needs clothes that size just let me know... i can make a list and take some pics - i'd give it up for free if you'd pay the shipping...

well i guess i should get my lazy butt going... laters!!!
~Kathie

2006-09-16 7:25 AM

Regular

I had an eventful day yesterday.  I wound up quitting my job.  I sold my business last year and essentially retired at 53.  That was driving me crazy so I thought that getting a job would keep me occupied.  It was tough going from being the boss to not.  We parted on good terms.  Now I have no excuses.

Then I was supposed to fly to Florida in the afternoon to visit my mother who lives outside of Ft. Lauderdale, but the flight was cancelled because of weather problems in NYC.  She has Alzheimer's, but is still able to live at home with her husband and some outside nursing help.  I try to go see her once a month.  What a horrible disease.

Anyway, I used yesterday as a rest day and am now off for a run.  I'm going to do this outdoors today, since it is supposed to be around 80 here.  80 in Vermont in the middle of September is not a usual thing, so we have to make the most of it.  I even thought about a swim in the lake until I looked up the water temperature and saw 58°.

I have also started posting my nutritional information.  I got up early to have something to eat before training, like I read about somewhere.  I'm sure that will make a huge difference.

Edited by jph35609 2006-09-16 7:27 AM
2006-09-16 8:15 AM

User image

Master
Wow John, I'm SO jealous that you can devote ALL your time to training now! I keep telling my hubbie that I'd make an EXCELLENT stay-at-home wife but so far he's not buying.

I'd bet you'd swim fast in 58 degree water, why don't you try that out and report back... hee hee...

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. Alzheimer's is a terrible disease and it can be so devastating for the whole family.
2006-09-16 8:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany

retiring at that age must be nice... all the time to train PLUS the money not to worry about it.. haha.... at least i have the time

i went to weigh myself and i was really surprised... a little over 2.5 lbs!!!! lost... of course lol whoohooo yay me... i guess the eating more cals really works for me... but i've been working out pretty good too... so i guess if i keep that combination up i'll do just fine...

i went to reward myself with a new pair of jeans.. they're still a little tight but i can wear them.. and that way they'll at least fit for a while haha

2006-09-16 8:57 AM

Regular

I ran down along the waterfront today and actually stuck my foot in when i was finished.  Even my toes shrunk.  

Way to go Kathie.  Losing weight on the scale is a lot of fun, but seeing it in my wardrobe really gets me psyched.  Congratulations on the loss and good job on rewarding yourself with clothes instead of food.

Edited by jph35609 2006-09-16 8:58 AM
2006-09-16 12:20 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Did my tri today...had a lot of fun...placed 3rd in Master Athenas (us over 40) and 4/7 of all Athenas.

PBed my swim pace and bike pace (19.55 mph)....placed top 3rd overall on the bike. Need to keep working on run speed to get it come along in tris. One Athena passed me with 2/3 of a mile left, I tried to hang close to her and she did motivate me to run faster...she beat me by 16 seconds.

Emily my daughter placed 1st in her kid tri today...which I missed as I was racing.

I think I'm going to do another tri tomorrow...shortish sprint...why not? I was up at 3 am so if I get a nice nap in and feel good the rest of the day....I'm doing it. 

2006-09-16 12:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany

great job kathy!!!! congratulations!!!!

but umm... what's an "athena"?  

2006-09-16 1:02 PM

Regular
Great job Kathy.  A nap sounds well deserved.
2006-09-16 1:24 PM

User image

Master
Great job Kathy, another tri sounds like a perfect reward (so much for your rush to get to the off-season, right? )!!! Hope your hardware looks cool!

Edited by TBZ 2006-09-16 1:24 PM

2006-09-16 1:28 PM

User image

Master
Kathie,

Good anser: Athena is a certain weight class for women in triathlons (Clydesdale is generally the male equivalent). The weight requirement and names of these class can change from tri to tri. Masters Athena would be an age AND a weight class...

Fun answer: Athena is the daughter of Zeus and the Goddess of Wisdom and War (I think) and tha patron saint of kick-@ss female triathletes...

Edited by TBZ 2006-09-16 1:29 PM
2006-09-16 1:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany
lol thanks michelle...
2006-09-16 3:14 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Yep...Athena is for women normally 150 or more. Weird thing is many of the women who compete in it are 5'10" and wear size 6 and have 15% body fat and they win. You really never know who will show up and race....or they can all be college volleyball players.

When in Greece this year, we visited Athena's temple..it was very motivating.

I doubt I'll ever place in my AG, so competing in Athena gives me a shot. Yet on my second tri of the year I would have placed 2nd in my AG, competed in Athena and placed 3rd...so it really is a sort of crap shoot which to sign up for. I look forward to the day I no longer qualify for Athena!

2006-09-16 4:04 PM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA
Way to go Kathy! (And Kathy's daughter!)

Despite no training this week, I managed to lose some. 2.8 lbs and about 3 inches from various spots. I guess being sick did have its advantages (though I'm guessing it was from lost appetite largely) Planning on starting back up on Monday morning, 0-dark thirty.

We had to close our windows today for the first time in over a month - summer decided to take a final bow out today.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri'umphant Losers - Support Thread starting 9/13 Rss Feed  

of 7