Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-09-26 4:27 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Are you a racist?
rac·ist
/'ras?st/

a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

First off, I disagree with this definition. Prejudice is a state of mind and never hurt anyone. Discrimination is acting on a prejudice idea. I think we are all prejudice! It is human nature to assume things about people based on our life experiences. If every time you meet an Irishman he asked you to buy him a drink then the next time you meet an Irishman you will be expecting him to ask you to buy him a drink.

There are dozens of things that make you prejudice or pre-judge someone. You look at someone who is covered in tattoos, is wearing leather, has tongue, eye, nose, nipple and piercings and smells like bourbon and pot and your mind will form all sorts of 'assumptions' about this person. As you talk to the person and listen to them you get more insight into the person and your opinions change accordingly. We as humans categorize everything and associate new things with old things....that's how we remember that the 180 cute little puddy cat will bite your head off! Purrr, purr, CHOMP!

Do I feel a particular race is superior to another? No. Are certain races more capable at certain things than other? I think so. I'm told white men can't jump. My wife and I were watching America Nija and there was a black contestant. We both commented that there didn't see to be many black competitors in this sport. I said that was odd since blacks are generally better athletes. Was that a racist statement? Probably not because it is a compliment. Anyone remember Jimmy the Greek getting fired because he said black were not good swimmers because they had too much lower body muscle?

Anyway, just some random thoughts as racism seem to be in the news a lot lately.

2017-09-26 4:59 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California
Subject: RE: Are you a racist?

Genetic factors play a part in everything.  I have been tested after my blood clot and I have a factor that makes clotting more likely.  It happens to be more prevalent in Caucasians in the U.S. and Europe.  That's just fact, from empirical evidence.

The only ones who are unbiased by life experiences are newborns.  But I don't try to make assumptions based on skin color.  One, especially in the U.S. we have so many different ancestries that two white people or two black people could be WAY different.  Two, there are always outliers.  Like your sports example, I'm thinking of some of the pro volleyball players - a lot of white guys with big vertical.

And finally, in that sports example, there are people genetically blessed who don't work to achieve their potential.  And there are some who train all-in and make up for other shortcomings.  I can't tell at a glance which category someone falls into.

Edited by spudone 2017-09-26 5:00 PM
2017-09-26 5:04 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

Master
, California

Anyone remember Jimmy the Greek getting fired because he said black were not good swimmers because they had too much lower body muscle? 

This brings up another thing which is that cultural forces are often as big of an influence as genetic.  Many african americans were taught at a young age to stay away from the water because it's dangerous.  And that's just been passed down generation to generation, with no one learning to swim.  It's a tough pattern to break.  Another guy in my company at the Naval Academy was from Missouri, black, never learned to swim.  I worked with him day after day to get him to where he could pass the required tests.  But that fear was so ingrained... very hard to break.

2017-10-02 9:11 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by spudone

Anyone remember Jimmy the Greek getting fired because he said black were not good swimmers because they had too much lower body muscle? 

This brings up another thing which is that cultural forces are often as big of an influence as genetic.  Many african americans were taught at a young age to stay away from the water because it's dangerous.  And that's just been passed down generation to generation, with no one learning to swim.  It's a tough pattern to break.  Another guy in my company at the Naval Academy was from Missouri, black, never learned to swim.  I worked with him day after day to get him to where he could pass the required tests.  But that fear was so ingrained... very hard to break.

I think this was why Jim jim got sacked, "The black is a better athlete to begin with because he's been bred to be that way, because of his high thighs and big thighs that goes up into his back, and they can jump higher and run faster because of their bigger thighs and he's bred to be the better athlete because this goes back all the way to the Civil War when during the slave trade...the slave owner would breed his big black to his big woman so that he could have a big black kid."
2017-10-02 3:31 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by mdg2003

Originally posted by spudone

I think this was why Jim jim got sacked, "The black is a better athlete to begin with because he's been bred to be that way, because of his high thighs and big thighs that goes up into his back, and they can jump higher and run faster because of their bigger thighs and he's bred to be the better athlete because this goes back all the way to the Civil War when during the slave trade...the slave owner would breed his big black to his big woman so that he could have a big black kid."

Sounds like he took some historically inarguable facts and drew his own conclusions. Maybe his opinions are not factually correct. The question is, does ignorance make you a racist?
2017-11-03 11:24 PM

I've always thought of prejudice as negativity towards a particular group of people not based on our experiences, but based on assumption. That's what makes it "prejudice." One is judging someone simply based on their race, religion, ethnicity, etc

So, no...I'm not prejudice. I view people as individuals, and how they treat me and others.

2017-11-05 8:29 PM

User image

Pro

I think humans, like every other animal, has a predisposition to stay with it's own kind, and stay clear of others who are different.  No, we're not pack animals or herd animals, but we are certainly tribal from our very beginning.  Probably the only thing that separates us from a herd or pack mentality is our advanced brain.....which causes some of us to question why we don't like those different from us.....and makes some of us cry racism at every slight, perceived or real. Then there are others who feel guilty over their feelings.  I don't like some cultures, and I like others immensely......I guess I'm a racist in the eyes of some. I never feel guilty.

I try to get along with everybody and treat everybody fairly.  That's enough for me....and, as far as I'm concerned, should be enough for anybody.  I enjoy the fact that we're all different and have different ideas and thoughts on the same subjects.  But it still doesn't make me like things, or people, or cultures, that I don't like. 

I like avocados, I hate guacamole. I like athletes, I hate soccer.

Get it?

Edited by Left Brain 2017-11-05 8:34 PM
2017-11-06 7:51 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Tejas
How can you hate guacamole? That's borderline pinko collusionist around these parts. "Around these parts"... see, I have girls that I try to embarrass too!

I'll post up a guac recipe that might work for you. If you like avocados, then you're past the 'texture and feel in the mouth' part that makes most people queasy around guacamole. Problem with most of my recipes is that they're made on the fly. Especially with guac; there are seasonal and regional changes in taste and texture of the avocado that need to be compensated for.

Take 3 avocados and mash them with an old fashioned potato masher. Just a coarse mash because we don't want to cream the avocados or we'll wind up with goop like they make at Chilis. I prefer to use the smaller Haas avocados that are about the size of a hand grenade. Their taste, oil content and texture make the best guacamole IMO.

Mince about 2 Tbsp. of onion. Super fine mince about the size of a grain of rice.

One medium tomato, 1/4" dice, don't put all the juice and seeds that are on the cutting board, we just want the tomato.

5-6 grinds of fresh black pepper.

Lawry's garlic salt comes next. This is the part where you need to adjust to taste. Start with 1 tsp.

Here's my secret ingredient, chili powder. Dust on about 1/2 tsp of chili powder, maybe a little less. Again, this is a taste to compensate for the avocado. Most recipes don't use this. I think it complements and brings out an earthy flavor of the avocados.

Fold the mixture together using a fork to blend the spices and taste it. If it's not salty enough, add some more Lawrys garlic salt. Occasionally I'll add a tbsp of OJ if the avocados are the big oily ones from Cali.
2017-11-06 9:48 AM
in reply to: SGirl

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by SGirl

I've always thought of prejudice as negativity towards a particular group of people not based on our experiences, but based on assumption. That's what makes it "prejudice." One is judging someone simply based on their race, religion, ethnicity, etc

So, no...I'm not prejudice. I view people as individuals, and how they treat me and others.

I don’t think prejudice is necessarily negative. I think it is just human nature...something our brains do processing information.

“Do you want to go to a party tonight?”

IDK. Who is hosting the party?

“The IT groups”

Then no.

A homeless person approaches you on the street....
A business man approaches you on the street...
A black teen wearing a hoodie
A policeman
An old woman
A Japanese man
A biker (Harley Davidson not Felt)
An Indian
A crying child

In each of these situations our minds instantly make assumptions and put the person in box. The box is framed with our life’s experiences.

I see nothing wrong with being prejudice as it is a state of mind. It is not until we descriminate against someone based on our prejudice that we become racists.
2017-11-07 7:36 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
A black teen wearing a hoodie. Interesting. I think of Skittles. Had I been asked that before the Trayvon shooting, I bet my answer would have been different.
2017-11-07 10:41 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by SGirlThat's what makes it "prejudice." One is judging someone simply based on their race, religion, ethnicity, etc 

See, I think you CAN make certain assumptions about individuals based on race, religion, ethnicity, etc......and interestingly, I think that race is the most fallible, and it gets all the press.

I can absolutely make certain assumptions about Catholics, Irishmen, Southern Baptists, Bosnians, British (I don't like their humor, their food, their monarchy, none of it) and on and on.  I remember when I was in grade school we had to read "The Ugly American".....my memory is not great on it but I know the lessons involved the way we, as Americans, were perceived around the world. I didn't care then and I don't care now.

There are definitely certain neighborhoods I can make assumptions about, and because of that I can make certain assumptions about SOME people in those neighborhoods.  And no, I'm not just talking about crime ridden neighborhoods....although, again, that gets all the press, and as soon as I say it people assume they know what I'm talking about. OK.

But making assumptions based on the color of a person's skin, and let's face it, that's what we are talking about here, is full of problems, and will make you look like an idiot more times than not.

So yeah, I suppose I'm prejudice.  There are some things in this life I like more than others, and some things I just downright don't like at all.  What aggravates me is if someone I don't like happens to be a certain color (in my case, since I'm white, it's usually black or brown people) then I am simply seen as prejudice against that color, a racist.....that's not the case. I just don't like some people.

I think, without question, there is commonality in our shared humanity, no matter our race, religion, ethnicity, etc.....so we should look for that.  The differences, hopefully, are not going away....that's what makes life interesting.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-11-07 10:58 AM

2017-11-15 12:36 PM

Originally posted by Rogillio

I don’t think prejudice is necessarily negative. I think it is just human nature...something our brains do processing information.

“The IT groups”

Then no.

A policeman
An old woman
A Japanese man
An Indian
A crying child

In each of these situations our minds instantly make assumptions and put the person in box. The box is framed with our life’s experiences.

I see nothing wrong with being prejudice as it is a state of mind. It is not until we descriminate against someone based on our prejudice that we become racists.
The actual definition of prejudice is that ''it's not based on reason,'' though. It might be a gut feeling...or maybe we have had one bad experience with one such person of a particular group, and think that the whole group is that way. That would be prejudice, and that isn't a positive, to me. Just my opinion.
2017-11-15 2:48 PM
in reply to: SGirl

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by Rogillio

“The IT groups”

Then no.

A policeman
An old woman
A Japanese man
An Indian
A crying child

The actual definition of prejudice is that ''it's not based on reason,'' though. It might be a gut feeling...or maybe we have had one bad experience with one such person of a particular group, and think that the whole group is that way. That would be prejudice, and that isn't a positive, to me. Just my opinion.

Agree but the ‘reason’ is past experience. And your feeling can just as easily be good feelings. But you are right it’s not reason per say it is reasonable or unreasonable. And it is unreasonable to assume since you had a good experience with the previous cop you met does not mean all cops will be that way. I guess my point is you can’t control your initial feelings about someone but racism is when you act on those feelings in a bad way.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Are you a racist? Rss Feed