Sugarloaf Mountain Athletic Club
67F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 32m 3s
Overall Rank = 75/78
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had coffee around 3:15, and four rye crisp crackers with cheese. Skipped the fruit smoothie this time. Race started at (or near) 6:00 this week due to the rapidly setting sun.
Event warmup:

Did some strides, maybe a quarter mile total running around. My legs felt wooden and it scared me that I was there to race when I didn't feel fantastic. But I stood at the starting line anyway, figuring what the heck, I was already there.
Run
  • 32m 3s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Another Personal Best! I'd be thrilled, except I'm still frustrated about not being able to break that 10 minute mile barrier. I'm also sad about the way I crashed in the third mile. The hill at 2.25 really beat the crap out of me and I was near puking at the top. I got passed by a gaggle of fit fun-runners on that hill and never caught them again.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. The pre-race fueling worked pretty well this time. I could use a half mile warm-up rather than a quarter mile. I need to build my butt muscles up so they can power me up those two hills. I keep wondering if learning to breath would be helpful, too.

Chasing Copper has been a good strategy for me. I hope she doens't mind me breathing down her next for the first two miles (before I pass her and never see her again.) In fact, I really hope she gets a stronger Mile 3, too, so she can pull me up that hill!
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am a (nearly) 42 year old, 166 pound woman. Need I say more?

Event comments:

Always a fun time. A great first-timer race as well as an Old Favorite. It really brings out the local runners.

Last updated: 2006-09-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:32:03 | 03.11 miles | 10m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/78
Performance: Good
Splits: 10:05, 10:08, 10:51, 0:59. Avg HR 182, Max 191, avg for sprint 187.
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes