General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plantar fasciitis ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-10-09 8:29 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: Plantar fasciitis ?
I have developed some pain in my right heel, it may be plantar fasciitis? What is the definitive test for this and is it something that I need to see a doc about?

2017-10-09 8:41 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Plantar fasciitis ?

What's it feel like when you wake up?

2017-10-09 10:51 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Floriduh
The pain is only in my heel, but it feels like I have a good sized pebble strapped to my heel. Bad in AM and when I've been sitting for a while. During the day the pain is barely noticeable.
2017-10-09 1:10 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Sounds like PF, however is it more towards the front of the heel (arch) or on the backside (Achilles)?  I'm living with PF right now. Had a couple of cortisone shots which are awesome at first but have to limit them.  The initial pain I feel when getting up in the AM is the arch/heel, but once the legs/foot loosen up the pain it is in the heel / arch side about half way between the two spots shown in the pix below and not directly below but more towards the side.  Comparing my left foot it is also slightly swollen there.  I support my arch with flex-tape (Rock tape/K-tape).  lately I buy the pre-cut strip version and use one full strip to wrap around, starting from the outside of the foot, under the arch, over the top and back under the arch and cross over to behind the ankle bone joint.  I also cut a strip in half and run another wrap under the arch over the side.  It really helps to support my arch.  I leave it one for 2-3 days then repeat.

I'm about ready to try a Strasburg sock to sleep in.

2017-10-09 1:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I'd say the paiN is about 0.5 inch toward the arch from Dead center of my heel. I'll have to pay some attention when I get up in morning if my arch hurts too

Edited by Oysterboy 2017-10-09 1:27 PM
2017-10-09 1:25 PM
in reply to: #5229436

User image

Expert
Floriduh
No matter, looks like running is off limits until this clears up?

2017-10-09 4:57 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

My n=1.  I've had 2 bouts of it.  It popped up during a HM build about 4-5 years ago.  I stopped running, did the various stretching, golf ball rolling, etc..  It finally cleared up when I incorporated the use of the Strasburg sock. 

Bout #2 came out of nowhere a little over a year ago.  Since it was in the middle of race season, I did not stop running...I just ran less.  I did everything I had done earlier to "fix" it but I think my continuing to run caused it to become chronic rather than temporary.  I'm still dealing with it over a year later.  I've been to a doctor...no help other than he gave me a splint and some stretching exercises (that I was already doing).  I'm going to see a PT later this month ... dry needling might be prescription...we'll see.

In both cases, it popped up after medium/long runs..7-10 miles.  I had been running those lengths or longer prior to the onset.  I got orthodox and insoles for my running shoes after bout #1...no problems in the 3-4 years since (2 HIMs, 1 marathon and several HM in that time span).  It drives me nuts because I can't train the way I'd like to.

2017-10-10 1:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Newcastle, England

For PF - sleep in a Strasburg sock to speed up recovery. - I've had to train twice for an IM with PF and the sock helps loads

2017-10-11 7:52 AM

i dealt with this a few years ago. it was so bad that in the morning when I get up to pee I would sometimes have to crawl to the bathroom.

my doctor recommended a cortisone shot and then we tried superfeet insoles. he said they are the next best thing to custom orthotics.

he also gave me some stretches to do in the morning, before you stand up. it just takes a second and made a huge difference. I don't remember them but if you google plantar facitis stretch I'm sire something will come up.

I cant recommend superfeet insoles enough.

another tip, NEVER walk with your feet directly on the ground. at least for a while. i don't mean to sound like a commercial, and trust me, I'm not paid by them, but i got superfeet flip flops to have by the bed in the morning.

them combined with the insoles, i haven't had any kind of pain in 3 years.

i use the green or orange insoles. normally i order them on amazon prime day for a good discount, or just google for a coupon code. don't pay full price for them.
2017-10-11 10:12 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Oysterboy No matter, looks like running is off limits until this clears up?
I restarted running in early July with the PF after a friend asked me to do a team Ragnar run next month.  Tape, self foot and calf massages, rollers, ice, IB (limited), etc., are helping it from getting worst. In fact it seems to be worst on days that I don't run!

I'm currently looking at getting a pair of Vionic Gerrit orthotic sandals to wear around.  

2017-10-11 10:33 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Pro

This "feetures" sock cured my PF in about 2 weeks, and I had tried a boot, other socks, etc.  Additionally, I have recommended it to many friends and relatives who have had PF and it has helped them about 75% of the time.  I wore it 24 hours a day, and after I was cured I still wore it to run in.  A minor issue with it was that after a week or so of non-stop use it started to roll up a but under my foot.  Not enough to hinder the use, but a small pain in the arse.  I just looked at feetures site and see that it appears they have a new model that is a full sock and not a sleeve, which would solve that issue.  For the money it's worth a shot.

https://www.ebay.com/i/253069408247?chn=ps&dispItem=1

That link is just an ebay ad.....should be SFW

2017-10-11 11:18 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Thanks Lefty, I have used Feetures socks for a while, but not these. Just bought a couple of pair.

Don - I have read several times that you need to wear shoes 100% of the time. Funny, my wife was talking up her Vionic sandals just this morning. Picked up a pair of those too.

Jon- Yep, been using Superfeet orange for a while.
2017-10-11 1:46 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
What helped me:

1. KT tapes - bought the whole box for just few dollars at Walgreens. Make sure you watch the videos on Youtube. This way you know how to properly use them to make sure they actually work.

2. Ice: I put some ice in a ziploc bag and then just placed my feet on it when sitting at my desk while at work.

3. Ibuprofen for inflammation. make sure you don't take it on empty stomach.

My case was very painful and I did not realize I had PF until about a week, so I basically walked with this sh&t for good few days. I found out the day before going on a hiking trip and was about to cry - because I read that you should not be walking/running/hiking with PF. But I love hiking more than anything else, so I used KT tapes, had some Ibuprofen, and hiked three days. I was back to running after a week from starting the above 3 things. I had to put inserts into my running shoes, run with KT tape. Couple days later I was fine with running the regular way. Thus, I don't think PF is a months-long treatment, but I can imagine each case is different.
2018-05-16 12:14 PM
in reply to: marysia83

I like the kt tape idea. But do you need to be an expert to be able to tape up your foot properly? Can imagine doing it wrong and making my plantar fasciitis worse.
2018-05-25 5:57 PM

User image

Sarasota, Florida
While plantar fasciitis is pain in the arch of the foot, the primary problem is coming from the muscles of your lower leg. Each of these muscles insert into your foot and are responsible for all foot and ankle movements. To eliminate the pain in your foot, deeply treat each of the following muscles:

Your tibialis anterior muscle runs along the outside of your shin bone and the tendon inserts into the first long bone of your arch. When the tibialis anterior contracts you roll your foot to the outside, lifting up your arch and big toe.

Your peroneals are two muscles that originate the outside of your leg. The both tendons go behind your outside ankle bone and then one inserts into the long bone on the outside of your foot, and the other continues to insert into the long bone in your arch. When your peroneals contract you lift up the outside of your foot, rolling in toward your arch.

As you run, or walk, you are using both of these muscles repetitively, and they shorten due to a phenomenon called muscle memory. When this happens the two muscles are pulling your arch in two opposite directions.

An analogy I use to explain this problem is; think about what happens when you pull your hair hard. Your scalp hurts but you don’t need to massage it, take pain-killers, or have brain surgery…you just need to stop pulling on your hair. The same is true with muscles. The muscle merges into a tendon, and the tendon then inserts into the bone. When the muscle pulls on the tendon, the bone hurts. And in the foot it is also spreading your arch muscles.

Add to this your calf muscles which both merge into your Achilles tendon, and then the tendon inserts into your heel bone. As your calf muscles shorten from repetitive use, they pull up on the tendon. You are keeping your foot on the ground, so the tendon is putting a strain on the bone. As the bone shifts back, it is pulling your arch backward. So your arch is being pulled in three directions, and you are told you have plantar fasciitis. And you do, but it is because of your lower leg, not because of your foot.

If you go to my Instagram page (@JulstroMethod) you can find the self-treatments for your lower leg. The odds are really high that you’ll be able to eliminate this problem quickly,

Wishing you well,
Julie

YOU are your own Best Therapist! Visit www.FlexibleAthlete.com and www.Julstro.com for logical explanations and advise about tight muscles and sports injuries.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plantar fasciitis ? Rss Feed