General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » What am I getting myself in to? Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-10-16 10:11 PM

Subject: What am I getting myself in to?
Hello everyone?

My name is Joe, I’m a 31 year old who lives in Cincinnati, Ohio who’s going to be attempting my first 1/2 Ironman in July 2018. I’m looking for any and all recommendations when it comes to training, nutrition, and the proper gear I should get. I workout regularly now with HIIT style workouts and olympic style lifting. I know this is going to be a different animal so the workouts I’m use to now will have to change to get me ready for this. Thank you for taking the time to read, and I appreciate all and any recommendations.

Thanks,

Joe

2017-10-16 10:23 PM
in reply to: #5229754

Subject: RE: What am I getting myself in to?
2017-10-17 8:20 AM
in reply to: Elliott724

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Welcome Joe!  

I haven't looked at the package deals.  In general, if the package is all or most of what you'd buy separately, it may be worth getting the package, but if you'd pick different things, the package isn't such a great buy since you'll end up with not what you want.  Also, the kit may include things you don't really need.  As an example, what HIM are you targeting?  The kit might include a wetsuit that you either don't need or cannot use in your race.  

It's easy to get wrapped up in gear, but the reality is once you've got a basic setup, buying newer or more expensive gear will produce only marginal gains.  

Key to success is to train consistently.  Find a plan or hire a coach and follow the training plan.  If you use a canned plan (BT has some decent ones), understand that these plans don't account for your specific circumstances (fitness as well as other life) so don't be a slave to the plan.  If you're hiring a coach, your training week-by-week should be specific to you and you'll want to execute as planned.  If you're having a problem, talk with your coach.  

2017-11-03 6:52 AM
in reply to: Elliott724

User image

Hello, everyone!. I`m new and extremely excited.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » What am I getting myself in to? Rss Feed