Silver Comet Races
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 43m 6s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

My 2nd race (in 6 days!) since moving to Atlanta, and last long run before Ragnar South Beach in two weeks. Really just a training run. Up at 6 a.m., out the door at 6:30, at the race site by 7. Packet pickup was just a bib, and only on race morning, so I had a feeling this was going to be a "no frills race."

In my haste to get out the door, I inexplicably forgot to bring my handheld water bottle and a gel. I was so worried about the forecasted cold and rain that I was focused on gathering my winter run gear instead of actual essentials. Not my finest race preparation.
Event warmup:

Got my bib on-site and went back to the car for about 20 minutes. Lined up with the 12 minute mile pace sign and with my eyes on the skies I walked in the procession to the start line with everyone else.

Oh, the other thing that was different about this race was they were clear about NO HEADPHONES. It was mentioned numerous times on the website and I took that seriously, leaving my phone in the car and not even bring headphones (that one was intentional). But OF COURSE, everyone had their ear buds in and people were even commenting that they just put that on the web site to cover themselves in case something happens. So I started off mildly annoyed that I could have been listening to music.
Run
  • 2h 43m 6s
  • 13.19 miles
  • 12m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Crossed the start line giving myself a little pep talk. I wasn't overly enthused, I didn't have any music and it was for sure going to rain. I tried to hard to stay positive and be grateful for my health and for running. But honestly it was just a dark, dreary and wet day.

The first few miles, I went through phases of hearing every little thing around me. I was keenly aware of other runners' shuffling feet and sniffing and grunting. Then I heard a rooster crow and thought, how cool, I would have never heard that if I had my ear buds in. I also kept thinking that all I wanted to do was go back to bed, LOL!

Legs weren't peppy at all, this felt like slow motion through soup - especially when it started to rain and never stopped. The first water station was after mile 2, and the next one wasn't until 5.6. I think there was a station that was supposed to be set up in between, but clearly wasn't. This wasn't ideal for me - I was so thirsty - but completely my own fault for not bringing my own water. I should know better. I was taking a full cup of water and full cup of Gatorade at each station, but otherwise conceeding to the fact I would be parched the whole time.

Otherwise pretty uneventful, just slogging along in the rain and thinking about how thirsty I was - and then hungry starting at mile 9 with a tummy growl. Again, my fault. Last couple of miles I walked a bit more, but nothing was alarmingly sharp or painful - just fatigued and tight.
What would you do differently?:

Bring the essentials, haha!
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal and a shirt (but they were being super weird about the colors - they had white and blue, but wouldn't give any blue ones away until they had given 5 white ones away - okaaaay?) and I did eat a donut whole to calm my growling stomach. Also chugged two full cups of Gatorade, then got on the shuttle back to the start line (finish was about 1.5 miles away). FROZE on the shuttle, but had a dry sweatshirt in the car so warmed up nicely on the drive home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Natural ability haha

Event comments:

This is a completely NO FRILLS race on the Silver Comet Trail. It's nice and flat, but really lacking in aid stations/water availability so bring your own water and gels and such. If you prefer a small race with no extras, this one is for you.

Last updated: 2017-07-10 12:00 AM
Running
02:43:06 | 13.19 miles | 12m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: On the Silver Comet Trail in Mabelton, GA
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2017-10-28 5:08 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: Silver Comet Half Marathon

2017-10-30 9:22 AM
in reply to: #5230270

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Silver Comet Half Marathon

Sorry this race didn't go your way, Lisa.  Big congrats on finishing two long races so close to each other and staying healthy and ready for your Ragnar race that is coming up.  Nice work making the best of a less-than-optimal situation.

2017-10-30 4:28 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Veteran

I am so glad that you got to shiver your toosh off without music because this race just made you STRONGER. I feel you on the missing handheld though. That's the worst! Super cute medal and I'm super jealous of your two races in two weeks!

2017-11-02 8:58 AM
in reply to: #5230270

User image

Master
Orlando

It’s hard to run a race when you are not motivated, so good job getting it done! Are you a convert to running without music now? I never have music, can’t stand wearing ear buds/phones or carrying my phone!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Silver Comet Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Silver Strand Half Marathon

Started by themissj1981
Views: 723 Posts: 1

2016-11-20 10:23 PM themissj1981

Outer Banks Southern Fried Half Marathon

Started by nrpoulin
Views: 1002 Posts: 1

2016-11-14 7:23 PM nrpoulin