Saratoga Bridges
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 37m 4s
Overall Rank = 5/417
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/16
Pre-race routine:

Ate breakfast, met Leigh to carpool up together.
Event warmup:

Nothing really, didn't have time
Run
  • 37m 4s
  • 10 kms
  • 03m 43s  min/km
Comments:

Started off pretty fast, with a small group forming a bit out in front of me. I figured most (if not all) were from the 5k, so I wasn't too worried. Reeled a couple guys in during the 2nd mile as they clearly went out too fast. When we were approaching the 3 mile maker (and the split of 5k and 10k), I was feeling it. This pace was hard, but I was hoping some of the leaders would go to the 5k finish and I could figure out exactly where I stood.

Not a single one turned. NO ONE! I was pretty demoralized. I crossed the 5k marker at 18:12 and thought to myself "I could've broke the tape if I just did the 5k...."

So I knew I was going to positive split, but I wanted to keep the pressure on because there was one guy within range, depending on how we both fared over the 2nd half. As we went along, I sensed I was gaining, but it wasn't dramatic. At mile 5 I was close enough that I thought I could get him on the hill right before the finish maybe, and tried to hold my pace to get in good position. As we closed in on the final hill, either I picked it up, or he faded, because I made contact earlier than I was expecting. I passed him right before we went up, and dropped the hammer on the hill to eliminate any chance at a sprint finish. Took a quick look back after a 90 degree turn and he was gone. Was a little bummed when I saw I was gonna fall just shy of breaking 37 minutes, but great performance anyway.
What would you do differently?:

If I was going for straight up time, I shouldn't have run the first half so fast. Probably could've broken 37:00 with better pacing (+40 seconds is too much, even with the 2nd half hills). But I was racing for place, and in that sense there wasn't anything else I could've done to improve my standing today.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran out to find Leigh and run in with her. Found her MUCH sooner than expected, and she was in FIRST! With someone only a few meters back. Told her to kick it in up the rest of the hill and to finish strong. By the time we got to the turn home, the challenger was left in the dust. Came to find out later that Leigh had recently passed her, so when I caught up, the gap was already growing. Oops.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Racing for place, not time. No regrets though.

Event comments:

I really enjoy this race. The Halloween theme adds to the fun, the homemade post race food is delicious, and love those pumpkins! Glad Evie got to take home the Stitch one for her awesome Captain Jack Scissorhands costume.

Last updated: 2017-10-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:37:04 | 10 kms | 03m 43s  min/km
Age Group: 1/16
Overall: 5/417
Performance: Good
Course: First 5k a totally flat loop, 2nd half has a few hills, but none at too bad
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes