General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore Quads while running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-11-02 10:38 AM

Subject: Sore Quads while running
Hello BT. I wanted to get some feedback on dealing with sore quads while running. I recently completed my second 70.3 and during the last month of training I noticed my quads would get quite sore while running. I was averaging about 32-35 miles a week. I did not do much as far a long runs went but did quite a number of double runs each week. I had been doing double runs for awhile so that was not something new. The only things that changed over the last month to month and half of my training was some bumping up of distance and I also stopped doing core body workouts twice a week.

I did not experience any discomfort or pain during the actual 70.3 race. I took a week off from all activities for rest. When I started back, it did not take long for the quad pain to return. Does anyone have advice on how to lessen some of this ? I started core body workouts again and hope that will help. Maybe I need to take a longer time off ?? I am just looking for some feedback and ideas.

Thanks for the help !

2017-11-02 9:49 PM
in reply to: Chitwnnole

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Sore Quads while running

Originally posted by Chitwnnole Hello BT. I wanted to get some feedback on dealing with sore quads while running. I recently completed my second 70.3 and during the last month of training I noticed my quads would get quite sore while running. I was averaging about 32-35 miles a week. I did not do much as far a long runs went but did quite a number of double runs each week. I had been doing double runs for awhile so that was not something new. The only things that changed over the last month to month and half of my training was some bumping up of distance and I also stopped doing core body workouts twice a week. I did not experience any discomfort or pain during the actual 70.3 race. I took a week off from all activities for rest. When I started back, it did not take long for the quad pain to return. Does anyone have advice on how to lessen some of this ? I started core body workouts again and hope that will help. Maybe I need to take a longer time off ?? I am just looking for some feedback and ideas. Thanks for the help !

You didn't mention hills but to state the obvious, sore quads after a hilly run are too be expected.  If the pain you are describing is after running on level or reasonably level ground then you may have something going on.  While what you are describing could be from overuse, I suspect it's more of a form issue.  You mentioned it began in the last month of training so I would assume you were nearing your maximum mileage - meaning maximum fatigue level.  If you are bending at the waist and leaning forward or if your weight is behind your mid-foot when you land, you will be overly stressing your quads as they attempt to keep you from crumpling to the ground.  When you are running, your quads are in an eccentric contraction as they absorb your weight after a foot strike.  Eccentric contractions can cause a good deal of soreness.  Altering your form slightly may balance your body weight better and take some of the load off of your quads.

Good luck.  Hope that helps.

2017-11-04 6:35 PM
in reply to: Chitwnnole

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Sore Quads while running
Guessing there are micro-tears in the muscle which haven't healed. I would recommend massage--quads are big muscles and pretty amenable to that. You can try foam-rolling, but if you can find a massage therapist who knows their stuff, that will work wonders. Easy swimming can also help stretch things out and relieve soreness. Avoid hills, especially downhills, and speedwork until things clear up. You might want to take a few more weeks off running if even running on the flats is triggering it. Maybe look into whether a change in shoes, or worn-out shoes, might have caused it. Maybe your shoes' cushioning is wearing out, or they just don't have enough cushioning for your size, biomechanics, and/or the terrain you run on. You could also try running on a softer surface.

I've had persistent quad soreness once, oddly, after a climb with a really long day going down, with some technical stuff on the descent where you put your weight in weird places and go very slowly, not from run training or a race. My legs felt worse than after a marathon (it was that post-marathon level of soreness/fatigue where you're afraid you couldn't speed up to avoid a car while crossing the street, even if you had to to save your life) and it didn't resolve until over a week later after a couple of massages.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore Quads while running Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

To run or not to run?

Started by teamHaggiethemrs
Views: 791 Posts: 6

2017-08-18 4:03 PM teamHaggiethemrs

Newton Running Shoes

Started by Trilogy
Views: 1555 Posts: 5

2016-11-21 12:39 AM Trilogy

Jorgensen running marathon