Other Resources The Political Joe » Innocent until accused Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2017-11-21 1:26 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Subject: RE: Innocent until accused
I'm sorry, still think the Franken story grabbing the girls butt in pic is BS. Was she too scared to tell the hubby, who was there? BS. She was married but "reported" it to her parents?

I wholly admit that you have a lot more experience in dealing with this than I do. It sounds like you are in law enforcement, and if so, you have my 100% support.

But to raise another question, how does a male defend himself in a case where a woman alleges abuse? I DO have first hand knowledge of a case that happened to my friends son. He had sex with a girl after their 2nd date. 20 days later he was arrested. He did not know what was going on. She said he raped her. He lost his job, and his life went into a tailspin. He fully admitted having sex. He said it was consensual. I'm not sure how they did it, but 7 months later, some forensic techies were able to retrieve deleted text messages showing that the day after the "rape" she disclosed to a girlfriend her plan to ruin his life because he wouldn't marry her. In addition, she had received mental health support (and probation?) for pulling the same stunt in another state 2 years before. My friends attorney said that if those text messages were not found, his kid would have been looking at 15 years. That is scary. In the end, he just ended up with a $40,000 legal bill. They called it good and did not sue the girl for the costs, as she couldn't pay anyway.

The point-every case is unique. 99% of the time, I believe the women bringing the allegations. It's that other 1% that bothers me too.

2017-11-21 1:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

It usually comes out in some fashion just like you described.

Here's what I told my son when he left for college (6'4", ripped fit, lives on the athletes floor in a coed dorm):   No sex with ANY girl you meet at a party when either of you are drinking.  No sex with ANY girl before you meet her parents.  I didn't just tell him that, I drilled it in his head and filled it with stories of my experiences investigating date rape charges.  That's all I can do, or any of us can do. I worry about it because I know how much attention he gets from girls.

I'll tell the same things to my daughters before they go to college next year.....but I'll add NEVER set your drink down, and if you do, dump it out and get another.

(I only sound naive......I've always given them extreme boundaries.  I hope for about 65-75% compliance )

It's really about respect for yourself and others.  I hope I've armed them well enough to see them through.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-11-21 1:53 PM
2017-11-21 4:09 PM

Sounds like you are a good dad!
2017-11-22 9:44 AM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

Pro

Oh, I don't know.....I sure got stupid when my kids got to be about 17.  I had no idea how much I needed to learn from them and their vast experience.

2017-11-22 9:45 AM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

Champion
Alabama
This story is dominating the news! I remain undecided. A couple of thoughts:

1. Does dating a 17 yo make you a pedophile? 16? 14?

2. What if the prep was 18 and dating a 14 yo? Is he a pedophile?

3. Priscilla Presley was 14 when she met 25-year-old Elvis Presley and would go on to marry him. Was Elvis a pedophile?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/child-marriage-cha...

While I do find it creepy that a 30-something yo would want to date a teenager I don't think 'pedophile' is the right term.

Turns out someone agrees with me, I just found this at WP:

"The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders defines pedophilic disorder as when an individual over 16 experiences “recurrent, intense sexually arousing fantasies, sexual urges, or behaviors involving sexual activity with a prepubescent child or children (generally age 13 years or younger).” As far as we know at present, the youngest girl whom Moore allegedly pursued was 14 years old. Other accusers were 16 or 17 years old when he approached them. These teenagers were not prepubescent children."

One possibility for the GOP to keep the seat but not Moore is to elect him and then not seat him and then the GOP gov of AL would appoint someone else. The democrat running against Moore is a far left liberal......unfortunately the news is dominated by the allegations.

One more thought.....Moore's team is supposedly putting together evidence to debunk the claims. This is his best hope IMO. While some or even most of the 12 accusers (only 2 alleged sexual assault) are likely telling the truth, it is also likely that at least one is just jumping on the 'me-too' bus. There is a lesson Moore can learn from Trump, discredit one of the accusers and many will assume all the other accusers are bogus as well. Trump was able to totally discredit the woman he supposedly assaulted on an airplane that I'm sure cast doubt over all of the accusers.

2017-11-22 9:54 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro

Bro - would you let a man in his mid 30's date your 14 year old daughter....or even your 17 year old daughter?  Would you let your 14 year old daughter go to a man's house who was in his mid 30's to watch TV? 

If the answer is no, then you can't defend this weirdo. 

If the answer is yes then carry on.....must be something in that 'Bama water ya'll drink.

2017-11-22 10:35 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

Bro - would you let a man in his mid 30's date your 14 year old daughter....or even your 17 year old daughter?  Would you let your 14 year old daughter go to a man's house who was in his mid 30's to watch TV? 

If the answer is yes then carry on.....must be something in that 'Bama water ya'll drink.

No I wouldn't but that is my standard. I would not let a my 14 yo date another 14 yo either! My kids had to be 16 to date. I would not allow my 16 yo to marry anyone but that happens all the time all over the country. I am not trying to defend the man, merely pointing out that what he "allegedly" did does not make him a pedophile. I was watching the news this morning (flipping between Fox, CNN and MSNBC) and probably heard the word 'pedophile' used 40 times!! Moore is not a pedophile! Creepy maybe but so is sodomizing your 20 yo intern with a cigar and then smoking it later.

I heard the Morning Joe guys say over and over this morning, if Moore gets elected then the GOP will be known as the 'party of pedophiles' and all GOPers will have this around the neck next fall. BS. First off, this time next year no one is going to remember who Roy Moore is/was. Second, all elections are local. No one is going to change his vote from rep to dem or dem to rep based on what happened the previous year in another state....like Alabama (or Minnesota).
2017-11-22 10:44 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio

No I wouldn't but that is my standard. I would not let a my 14 yo date another 14 yo either! My kids had to be 16 to date. I would not allow my 16 yo to marry anyone but that happens all the time all over the country. I am not trying to defend the man, merely pointing out that what he "allegedly" did does not make him a pedophile. I was watching the news this morning (flipping between Fox, CNN and MSNBC) and probably heard the word 'pedophile' used 40 times!! Moore is not a pedophile! Creepy maybe but so is sodomizing your 20 yo intern with a cigar and then smoking it later. I heard the Morning Joe guys say over and over this morning, if Moore gets elected then the GOP will be known as the 'party of pedophiles' and all GOPers will have this around the neck next fall. BS. First off, this time next year no one is going to remember who Roy Moore is/was. Second, all elections are local. No one is going to change his vote from rep to dem or dem to rep based on what happened the previous year in another state....like Alabama (or Minnesota).

And the bolded  makes my point.  Of course what Clinton did was creepy, and we all called him out on it.  So now we're supposed to say Moore can stay in office when we wanted Clinton out?  That makes no sense to me.

I don't give a rats if they call that azzhat a pedophile or a moonpie.....he's morally unfit as far as I'm concerned.

2017-11-22 11:01 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Moore's behavior 40 years ago was creepy but I guess I'm more inclined to look at how he has lived his life the last 40 years. People that know Moore say he is a good man...I only know what the press has allowed me to know.

It just goes to show there are very few secrets in life that are not eventually exposed. Great line from The Patriot, "I have long feared that my sins would return to haunt me, and the cost would be more than I could bear."

On a lighter note...from my archives.....one of my youthful indiscretions coming back to me:

I have not tried to give blood in years because I am almost always training for something and don’t want it to affect my training. Today the blood mobile is on campus and since I’m not training for anything right now, I decided to give. I went into the little room and the girl entered my SSN in her computer and my name came up showing the last time I gave was 1990. I said that couldn’t be right because I’ve given many times since then. She said that I must have given with Lifesouth blood mobile folk – a different entity. They were Red Cross I think. Oh, OK. Then she said “Oh, they have you on a permanent deferment” or words to that effect. I said “I know what that was. Back in 1990 I got turned down from giving because I had answered the question ‘have you ever exchange money for sex?’ in the affirmative and they said I couldn’t give.” She said that question was still there. I said so I can never give again? She said I could get a form and ask for and exception….. Uh, no, not interested. If y’all don’t want my blood, f’ y’all. So one drunken night in a whorehouse in Germany in 1985 and they don’t want my blood the rest of my life? I don’t know whether to get offended or laugh at the absurdity. Evidently the other blood donation people have lower standards as I’ve given thru them for years. She said I could still get a tee-shirt. What?! Are you kidding me? Why the hell would I want a tee-shirt?! So I could wear it and explain how I tried to donate blood but failed to meet the requirements!? No, keep your stupid tee-shirt. ;-(
2017-11-22 12:52 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Any middle-aged guy that trolled high schools for dates is not a good man. Period. I don't care what kind of saint he appears to be in every other aspect of his life, he was preying on children. Maybe high school girls are not young enough to technically qualify him as a pedophile, but you're really splitting hairs at that point. Having boobs doesn't change the fact that they're still very much young, naive, impressionable children.

I liked Al Franken. He was a little too far to the left for me, but I always thought he was a pretty good senator. Then I found out he doesn't know groping an unconscious woman is wrong. No aspect of how he's lived his life for the past 40 years could incline me to look past that. 

And yes, Elvis Presley was a sick man too for chasing Priscilla when she was a child. The difference there is that Elvis played a guitar. Don't like what he did, don't buy his records and don't go to Graceland. Franken and (in a month) Moore get to write the nation's laws. Maybe someone who thinks it's ok to feel up an unconscious woman or date a child shouldn't have that responsibility.

2017-11-22 1:45 PM

Master
, California

I didn't vote for Bill Clinton.  I don't agree with his affair or his lies about it.  But can we just stop with the comparisons between adults who can consent, and children?

2017-11-22 1:51 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pro

Originally posted by spudone

I didn't vote for Bill Clinton.  I don't agree with his affair or his lies about it.  But can we just stop with the comparisons between adults who can consent, and children?

I agree completely when it comes to consenting adults.....but....

.... no, not in the case of Clinton.  Sex with an intern when you are the President of the United States is pretty much the same as having a relationship with a 14 year old while you're in your 30's.  They are both absolutely a problem and show a lack of moral character.

2017-11-22 1:57 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by spudone

I agree completely when it comes to consenting adults.....but....

.... no, not in the case of Clinton.  Sex with an intern when you are the President of the United States is pretty much the same as having a relationship with a 14 year old while you're in your 30's.  They are both absolutely a problem and show a lack of moral character.

It's THE position of power, so I'd argue that anyone you have a relationship with as President, other than your wife, is vulnerable to that influence.  But I still wouldn't compare adultery, to statutory rape or sexual misconduct with a child.  Sorry.

2017-11-22 2:10 PM

User image

Pro

I understand the point you are trying to make.....but, she was working there as an intern.....you can't compare that to adultery between consenting adults.  Remember the congressional dust up years ago over interns who worked for Senators and Congressmen?  No difference.

Is it Statutory Rape?  No.  But neither is what Moore did if you are going there.  Nor is it child molestation.

Again, at least in my mind when it comes to these two examples, it's a matter of moral character.....and in these two examples, Moore and Clinton, it's the same.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-11-22 2:11 PM
2017-11-22 2:37 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
A list of the accusations

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/a-rundown-of-all-the-women-whove-...

Ages of women:

16x2
17x2
18x2

One of the 16 yo claims only that he asked her out and her mother said no.

One of the 17 yo dated him for 3 months. Where were her parents? SMH

The other 17 yo said he asked her out but she didn’t go out with.

Clearly there is a pattern that shows he liked young girls. Sorry but I don’t but the characterization of these women as children....with the exception of the 14 yo.

Not defending Mooore, just presenting data.

I think LB/spudone are right there is a problem using position/power and using ones position over vulnerable women.

Edited by Rogillio 2017-11-22 2:39 PM
2017-11-24 12:56 PM

Master
, California

Ages of women:

16x2
17x2
18x2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CloEsLecn5A

2017-11-24 4:28 PM
in reply to: #5230886

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I’m not so sure Moore was trying to use his power/position to attract these kids. I just think he had (has?) a pathological attraction to teenagers. Very troubling and Uber creepy
2017-11-27 1:51 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Oysterboy Good luck Lefty, got a trip planned for scoup and canvasbacks in Dec. just in time to tryout my new 20ga

So, I thought you heathens might enjoy a pic of a day of the most recent duck hunting adventure.  It's kind of a cool pic, to me anyway, for a variety of reasons.  On the right is my 11 year old dog, next to her is a 1 year old pup that we're training.  Surrounding them, and me, are hand carved decoys that my buddy works on (I help a bit but I'm artistically handicapped, so I mostly just watch and drink beer).  In 2 of the 3 canvasback decoys to the lower left are the ashes of my buddy's old dogs. In the black duck, canvasback, and pintail decoys to the far right are the ashes of 3 of my old dogs.  The mallard decoy just to their left contains ashes from my best, and oldest, hunting partner, John, who died last year of cancer.......we take all of them hunting whenever we go.  I've not missed a season of duck hunting in 49 years, and hunted from Canada to Louisiana, so there is quite a bit of nostalgia and tradition that rolls with us.  I drink brandy from my grandpa's flask, shoot his old Browning A-5, etc. 

Best way I know to spend a day.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-11-27 2:07 PM

(rivers.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
rivers.jpg (95KB - 6 downloads)
2017-11-27 2:41 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by Oysterboy Good luck Lefty, got a trip planned for scoup and canvasbacks in Dec. just in time to tryout my new 20ga

So, I thought you heathens might enjoy a pic of a day of the most recent duck hunting adventure.  It's kind of a cool pic, to me anyway, for a variety of reasons.  On the right is my 11 year old dog, next to her is a 1 year old pup that we're training.  Surrounding them, and me, are hand carved decoys that my buddy works on (I help a bit but I'm artistically handicapped, so I mostly just watch and drink beer).  In 2 of the 3 canvasback decoys to the lower left are the ashes of my buddy's old dogs. In the black duck, canvasback, and pintail decoys to the far right are the ashes of 3 of my old dogs.  The mallard decoy just to their left contains ashes from my best, and oldest, hunting partner, John, who died last year of cancer.......we take all of them hunting whenever we go.  I've not missed a season of duck hunting in 49 years, and hunted from Canada to Louisiana, so there is quite a bit of nostalgia and tradition that rolls with us.  I drink brandy from my grandpa's flask, shoot his old Browning A-5, etc. 

Best way I know to spend a day.

Awesome! What is the limit there? You have to get a federal and state duck stamps? I was considering duck hunting in my back yard as there is a pond west of us and several duck come in low over my house.....but a hunting license, and both stamps would run me about $125 I think......I only wanted one duck.....figured that was a bit too much for one duck. I duck hunted when I was a kid in Louisiana but never killed a duck.
2017-11-27 3:06 PM

User image

Pro

The limit is pretty much the same everywhere.....Pacific flyway gets a bit different, but not much.  6 ducks per day, only 4 mallards (five out west), and other stipulations (only one can be a  pintail, 2 canvasbacks, etc).

I don't recommend starting to duck hunt unless you didn't feel like you spent enough money on triathlon......it's the only hobby I've ever had that cost MORE than triathlon by the time you're done buying boats (I once owned a $27,000 specialty boat that I ONLY used 3 months out of the year to duck hunt), dogs (what does it cost to keep a retriever for it's lifetime? I don't even know and I've had 5), shotguns, and every other piece of equipment you need to do it right.  Craziness.

yes, we have state and federal stamps.....they are pretty much the same everywhere.  State is about 10 bucks, federal is 25.  Our in state license is another 20 or so.  I hunted Kansas a few weeks ago....cost me about 100.00 for the trip for license.  Texas in a few weeks will cost me 120-150 just for the license.  Arkansas by the time the season ends will be another 150 or so.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-11-27 3:09 PM
2017-11-27 3:35 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
That’s makes for some pricey ducks!

I bought a new Browning Citori a couple on months ago for skeet shooting. 12 gauge double barrel o/u. I still suck at the skeet range so probably need to get better there first if I’m ever to hit a duck. Some high flying geese flew over our place a few days ago. About 30 in like a double V occasionally honking. Very beautiful. Not sure I could bring myself to shoot them. OK, where do I exchange my man card for a liberal tree hugger card?

2017-11-27 3:45 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Very nice Lefty, and uber cool about the green head decoy with your buddy's ashes.

Yeah, it's an expensive sport but I don't seem to turn over my equipment as much as I do for triathlon and I on;y seem to get one or two hunts in a year. I don't own a boat, have friends that do so I bum rides for gas money. I'm a pretty good shot and a descent caller so no one seems to mind me coming along if they have room. I still use my grandpa's 12 ga SxS for ducks (going to get a new 20 ga semiauto for XMas for doves, not sure if I'm going to take that out for ducks). The SxS ain't real pretty but it puts the hammer down and don't seem to mind the damn steel shot (have you ever tried bismuth?). I'd love to know how many ducks and geese that gun has put in the freezer since the Great Depression.

We don't see many mallards or wood duck in Florida but we do get a lot of ducks that winter over. Mostly bluebills, canvasbacks, red heads and mottled duck (kinda Florida specific). See whistlers now and then but don't hunt them. The guys I hunt with shy away from hunting in fresh water cuz' the gators will eat their dogs (no chit) and I'm good with that as I don't wanna mess with a gator or a damn cottonmouth. The best hunting we've had is in coastal mangrove swamps and honestly, we fetch the ducks with a canoe or wade if they are close enough.

Glad you had a good hunt, what time is dinner?

PS. Is that A5 a Sweet 16?

Edited by Oysterboy 2017-11-27 3:47 PM
2017-11-27 4:16 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

That’s makes for some pricey ducks!

I bought a new Browning Citori a couple on months ago for skeet shooting. 12 gauge double barrel o/u. I still suck at the skeet range so probably need to get better there first if I’m ever to hit a duck. Some high flying geese flew over our place a few days ago. About 30 in like a double V occasionally honking. Very beautiful. Not sure I could bring myself to shoot them. OK, where do I exchange my man card for a liberal tree hugger card?

Rog, I have a Citori too (Ultra XS Skeet) that I use for skeet. Awesome gun, gotta have at least 100,000 rounds through it ZERO repairs. WAAAAY to pretty of a gun to take out in a boat so I only use it for the range and unfortunately having a kid keeps me from having a stable of Brownings to use for hunting. Tell you the truth, I love that old Stevens SxS of my grandfathers, looking down the rib of that gun is like looking down the deck of an aircraft carrier and the thing fits me like a glove.

IMHO, ducks are much easier to hit than clays, they fly slower and are a gazillion times bigger. Same for pheasants and grouse. Doves and quail are about as hard as clays, a bit bigger but less predictable (especially doves). Wanna hunt something about dam near impossible to hit - try woodcock. Thought I was a good shot but those birds humbled me.
2017-11-27 5:11 PM

User image

Pro

I've only TRIED to shoot woodcock while quail hunting a few times......you're right, they're just ridiculous to try to shoot.  Getting our plans together already for a quail trip to Texas on the first weekend in Feb.  Last year we put up 83 coveys in 3 days....wild birds.  I've never seen anything like it, and I doubt many others have either, as you can mostly only read about 30 covey days anymore.  I don't think the quail did quite as well this year, but reports still are for some fine hunting.  I guess if it gets slow we'll go shoot a few pigs. Otherwise.....they may be spared for yet another year.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-11-27 5:32 PM
2017-11-27 9:02 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

I've only TRIED to shoot woodcock while quail hunting a few times......you're right, they're just ridiculous to try to shoot.  Getting our plans together already for a quail trip to Texas on the first weekend in Feb.  Last year we put up 83 coveys in 3 days....wild birds.  I've never seen anything like it, and I doubt many others have either, as you can mostly only read about 30 covey days anymore.  I don't think the quail did quite as well this year, but reports still are for some fine hunting.  I guess if it gets slow we'll go shoot a few pigs. Otherwise.....they may be spared for yet another year.

Damn, only the geezers around here will regale you with tales of 20+ quail coveys in Florida. Just too much habitat loss. My boss has a cabin in Colorado, got him this close to inviting me for chukar hunting next fall. Suppose that's as good as any reason to keep on his good side. Never hunted partridge.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Innocent until accused Rss Feed  

of 5